DetroitLionsForum.com
Want to assist with forum hosting and upgrade costs?  Click here to make a PayPal donation:
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > Detroit Lions

Old February 21st, 2018, 10:41 AM   #1441
chemiclord

No, I would argue that his biggest flaw was that the game was simply too fast for him. He could break down every scheme and analyze film as well as anyone... but ask him to make the right call in thirty seconds? No chance. I suspect that's the reason why he'd always look so vacant on the sideline... trying to process multiple things and just not being able to do it.

As a film assistant or a mentor or someone not on the sideline for the other six days of the week? I bet he'd be one of the best hires you ever make. For Sundays? He's next to worthless.
Old February 21st, 2018, 03:35 PM   #1442
dwt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemiclord View Post
Caldwell WASN'T particularly successful as a head coach, that's the point. He inherited a champion squad and did barely above fuck all with it. His highest acclaim was getting his lunch eaten by Sean Payton while he stood on the sidelines with that dopey look on his face. The rest of his career has been dumb calls that directly lost playoff games... ya know... the sort of thing you admonish and criticize Stafford for every other post.
He coached a team to the Super Bowl - obviously his coaching didnít hold Indy back.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have"
dwt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old February 21st, 2018, 03:36 PM   #1443
dwt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBB View Post
The Fontes era was the Barry Sanders era.
Exciting but not effective.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have"
Old February 21st, 2018, 03:48 PM   #1444
Malto Marko

......seems to me there was a Manning/Caldwell what the hell are you doing moment while he was at the wheel in Indy.
Old February 21st, 2018, 04:15 PM   #1445
dwt1

http://m.baltimoreravens.com/news/ar...d-1aa6feda4d07

He was also the OC (elevated to that position with three games remaining in the regular season) of Baltimore’s Super Bowl winning team.

Last edited by dwt1; February 21st, 2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old February 21st, 2018, 05:14 PM   #1446
Fraquar

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBB View Post
The Fontes era was the Barry Sanders era.
And there is nothing wrong with that. I mean it's not like the Lions won anything with the Calvin, Stafford and Suh era.
Added: In an organization that has won just 1 playoff game in 60 years and counting, it would be impossible to ignore the one HC who brought that - an ass-whoopin' against DAL no less.

Last edited by Fraquar; February 21st, 2018 at 05:21 PM.
Fraquar is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old February 22nd, 2018, 08:00 AM   #1447
Futureshock

In the land of the blind...