No announcement yet.

Michigan @ Minnesota, Saturday, 10/31, 7pm EDT, ESPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the two offenses, Neb's and M's, I mean, and their QBs have a lot in common with the edge to Neb's.
    There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• M 32, Gophers 9.

Comment

• Just get the "W"....
        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• "I just feel bad for Minnesota because we're coming out with a lot of energy." Jenkins-Stone
          "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• I hope they mean it.

Comment

• Talk is cheap.
              I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• I agree. It's time to put up or shut up. The season doesn't get easier from here.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                  I agree. It's time to put up or shut up. The season doesn't get easier from here.
                  Hmmmmm......... Seems like a reversal of your usual optimism. Heh.

We're looking at two teams coming off bye ...... err, in the case of M, "improvement weeks." Both teams are coming off losses. The Gophers lost to Nebraska in a drubbing where Minnesota's run game was completely shut down leaving the team to have to rely on QB Mitch Liedner's arm which is like M having to rely on Jake Rudock's.

Nothing much is going to change for Minnesota. They are riddled with injuries to key players who at the start of the season made up a nucleus that could be counted on to produce some wins. Not any more and Kill reaffirmed on Monday that no one is returning from the injury list for this game.

The stats favor M big time with the S&P, FEI and ESPN power rankings looking this way (M/Minny): 2/62, 7/79, 15/70. This game shouldn't even be close ....... except, IMO, the eyeball test calls M's statistical rankings into question.

Minnesota's predicted strength was their run defense. Injuries have made this less effective. M has the potential of running the ball but they've proven generally unable to do this very well. Moreover, Minnesota runs a quarters defense and usually brings a S up. It's a lot like MSU's D without the talent up front but it doesn't take a lot to limit M's run game given, well, you know.

You'll have two, under 60% passers dueling it out to move the chains. Frankly, I like Harbaughffense better than what Kill brings to the table mainly because of how well Harbaugh works the tight ends into his schemes.

I'm hoping Rudock has been coached to and will have the confidence to take some of those 50/50 throws he is routinely passing up because a defender is somewhere nearby his first or second read receiver. Predictably, he tucks it and runs. If M is going to win this game, he has to stop doing that. I've given up on the big play/deep ball ....... not going to happen so just move the chains according to what the D is giving and they'll give Rudock some throws in the short and medium ranges providing Rudock will take them and get the ball up over the Gopher D line and LBs with some touch on it.

I still think this is going to be a slog and as talent put it up thread, an annoying game. So, I'm ready for that. I still think M wins on its special teams and defense something like 24-10 or if Rudock does what we are all hoping he does, maybe M picks it up and scores 34 but I'm not holding my breath for that kind of blistering offense!
                  Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; October 27, 2015, 10:06 AM.
                  There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• To be clear, I think a slog/annoying game is the worst case scenario. I have a really hard time seeing the Goofers winning this one.

That said, my feeling is mostly based on what I think of Minnesota. My current assessment of M is down a bit. You know, CFB seasons ebb and flow and evolve and all that. I'm no longer assuming certain defeat for OSU in AA. M has a few chinks in their armor. Now, the Goofers are just really not good. So there's no way they can do much more than volley and retreat ad nauseum on their way to a certain defeat.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Yeah, I have a hard time seeing a close game too.

But those doubts about M's performance in general, the kind that were present whenever Hoke's teams went on the road and predictably lost, have crept back in to my psyche.

I'm also scarred shitless about the vagaries of CFB that so frequently creep in to determine the outcome of a game .... like MSU over M in the closing 10 seconds or GT over FSU in a similar bizarre finish. Shit happens.

I'd like to think M can generate separation - that explosiveness we've been talking about - but even Harbaugh's team has a hard time doing that and an even harder time on the road. I'm not blaming HARBUGH!!! It just is what it is.

So, yeah, it should be a win and a relatively predictable and easy one. I think most bettors are taking M to cover the -13.5 spread ....... maybe not a great bet with M historically being poor ATS. I'd take the under in this game with it being the annoying game we both think it will be.

Comment

• I haven't seen the gophers play, but there's a real chance at a fourth shutout isn't there?
                        To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• That matters about as much as the Lions firing their OC.
                          I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• The Lions are the Lions. Any diasters upcoming were baked in the cake long ago and anything that isn't a disaster is just filler space between disasters.

As for Michigan, just a little more sizzle to sell to Gary and Kelly and Nauta would be great.

Comment

• This game is less likely to be a sizzeling porterhouse and is more likely to be cold hamburger.

I'll watch with my usual enthusiasm for Harbaugh and his boys but I just have this bad feeling that I'll not be sitting back in the ol' Barkalounger relaxing during the final 30 minutes or so of this particular game with M holding a comfortable lead while running roughshod over the hapless Gophers.

Comment

• I predict 28-0 at the half and 28-0 at the end.

Comment

Working...
                                X