Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Iam. Serious question for you. UFM is undeniably one of (if not THE) most successful coaches in college football. His career winning percentage is about 10 points higher than Sabans and he has won 3 national championships in the past 14 years since he became a head coach (including his stops at BGSU and Utah and his year in the booth).

Even with all of that success, I've never heard of him getting a sniff from the NFL. I assume that is his choice, but do you have any insight into why?
    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Not that my answer would be a stand-in, but the spread seems a likely obstacle.

Comment

• Gustin sticks with USC. Shows you how important it is to develop relationships over the long haul.

SLF:

I'll think about that re UFM. My visceral reaction is that he loves working with kids this age -- he's huge into leadership ideas that play mostly with that age group (I'd guffaw at them if someone started yakking about them to me). And he LOVES recruiting.

And perhaps he understands his limitations. What he really excels at -- I mean really excels at -- is recruiting and getting players to buy into his system. His system is completely designed for the college game. He's a really good coach, too -- but I think those two things push his teams over the top. There are lots of really good Xs and Os/player development guys.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• SLF:

I was thinking about UFM and CFB a little more, and I thought I about Bellichek. His legacy and accomplishments as an NFL coach are undisputed. But how would he have done as a college coach? Obviously he can coach players up and is a great Xs and Os guy, but what about all the other stuff that makes a CFB program elite? I don't he would have been anywhere as successful in CFB. I think if he took, say, the Oklahoma job in 2000 instead of the Patriots and OU had picked him instead of Stoops, that OU would have fared worse than they have under Stoops.

Anyway, it's an interesting question. I'm sure you have your own theories, too.

Comment

• I fully agree that college and pro coaches are required to have different skill sets. The college coach has more administrative concerns and obviously recruiting. In addition college coaches need to be able to locate and motivate players to want to learn to work to be great. The NFL coaches have professionals and have to learn to reach players who have already made it. In fact I am always amazed at guys like JH and Pete Carroll that can have success at both levels.

I also would never be surprised that a coach thought he was better suited for college than the NFL (*cough*Saban*cough*). It's just surprising that any coach has the self awareness to determine that he would prefer college to pro. It's amazing (and old school like Bo or Woody).

God I hate UFM. ;)
            To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Heh. Bo and Woody are great examples of guys made to coach the college game.

I'll confess that I was surprised that Petey could get it done in NFL. Maybe I never really gave him his due when he was at USC, but I was wrong. If I had to guess, I'd say he understands and manages people -- athletes in particular -- as well as anyone.

Which makes his failure to understand he had BeastMode in the backfield all the more incomprehensible!

My favorite tweet on that play call -- now I'm way off on a tangent -- is the analogy to the final shot in Hoosiers when Norman Dale initially decides to use Jimmy Chitwood as a decoy much to his team's chagrin. Jimmy utters one his two lines the entire movie..."I'll make it." Carroll needed BeastMode to say "I'll score."

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fttt3fFTxk"]Hoosiers - Jimmy Chitwood_Final Shot - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Ohio State hangs on to Torrance Gibson. Great news.

Also looks like they beat out Alabama for KJ Hill.

Isaiah Prince is announcing this morning at 9:30 (I still think Maryland) and Weber at 10:00.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
                  I fully agree that college and pro coaches are required to have different skill sets. The college coach has more administrative concerns and obviously recruiting. In addition college coaches need to be able to locate and motivate players to want to learn to work to be great. The NFL coaches have professionals and have to learn to reach players who have already made it. In fact I am always amazed at guys like JH and Pete Carroll that can have success at both levels.

I also would never be surprised that a coach thought he was better suited for college than the NFL (*cough*Saban*cough*). It's just surprising that any coach has the self awareness to determine that he would prefer college to pro. It's amazing (and old school like Bo or Woody).

God I hate UFM. ;)
                  Good post. I think for us regular guys it's a lot easer to know our strengths and accept our limitations than for public figures hauling in several million a year and subject to adulation. That can wreck your judgement for sure.

Comment

• Isaiah Prince is in.

Just waiting on the Detroit drama.

Comment

• I wonder what Saban would have done at someplace other than Miami or if they allowed him to sign Brees.

Belicheck may be a curmudgeon, bit I suspect if he went to Alabama like Saban did he would have had success.

Comment

• Talent:

I'll make it
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Alright. He's what we're going to do, dumbfucks. Inbounds the ball to The Wizard and get the fuck out of his way. Alright, Team on 3....one, two, three...TEAM!

Comment

• Hey coach .. he missed it ...

what now?
                            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• RUN THE PICKET FENCE!!

Comment

• Alright, boys, this is the last shot we got! We're gonna run the picket fence at 'em! Talent, you're solo right! Liney, Mike should be open on the other side of that fence! Now, boys, don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X