Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only been to Reynoldsburg once, though I reckon it's more or less the East version of Hilliard. Though, Hilliard is growing more.

Grovetucky is about the last area of Columbus (SW) that remains undeveloped. Maybe due South, too (Canal Winchester/Groveport). The NE is Les Wexner-ville and unrecognizable to anyone living in Columbus 25 years ago (from Westerville to New Albany all the way to Granville). The NW quadrant boomed with Dublin and Hilliard (15 years ago they each had 1 high school, now they each have 3). Plain City will probably bump up a bit, too.

The thing about Columbus is that with state government and a massive public university it has an economic backbone that is really strong and one that dampens recessions. It's also incorporated to the maximum extent to allow for a realistic taxbase (as opposed to Cleveland). And, perhaps best of all, it's still a relatively easy place to commute!

The downside is that it's about as milquetoast as you get; very few cool neighborhoods or the like and zero ethnic pockets. However, having lived in a city with tons of "character", commuted through Beirut-esque streets of East Cleveland, paid income and property taxes out the ass, watched my property values plummet and watched the city buckle in the face of the recession, I can handle milquetoast.

#1 Opportunity City!

Columbus, Ohio, was supposed to be just a temporary stop in 2006 on the way East for Josh and Niki Quinn, a place to save money and plan their new business. After years of living in Los Angeles, where they launched the wholesale wallets and accessories brand Maxine Dear, the [...]
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Who gives a fuck

Comment

• Stan, when you're not pulling the wings off of flies at the office, I bet you head home to beat the dog?
        ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Guffaw

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
            Only been to Reynoldsburg once, though I reckon it's more or less the East version of Hilliard. Though, Hilliard is growing more.

Grovetucky is about the last area of Columbus (SW) that remains undeveloped. Maybe due South, too (Canal Winchester/Groveport). The NE is Les Wexner-ville and unrecognizable to anyone living in Columbus 25 years ago (from Westerville to New Albany all the way to Granville). The NW quadrant boomed with Dublin and Hilliard (15 years ago they each had 1 high school, now they each have 3). Plain City will probably bump up a bit, too.

The thing about Columbus is that with state government and a massive public university it has an economic backbone that is really strong and one that dampens recessions. It's also incorporated to the maximum extent to allow for a realistic taxbase (as opposed to Cleveland). And, perhaps best of all, it's still a relatively easy place to commute!

The downside is that it's about as milquetoast as you get; very few cool neighborhoods or the like and zero ethnic pockets. However, having lived in a city with tons of "character", commuted through Beirut-esque streets of East Cleveland, paid income and property taxes out the ass, watched my property values plummet and watched the city buckle in the face of the recession, I can handle milquetoast.

#1 Opportunity City!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erincarl...ake-your-mark/
            Agree pretty much with everything you've said.

The northern suburbs spilling into Delaware County have made that the top 1 or 2 fastest growing counties in the state for the past 20 years I believe. Powell (near the zoo, OP) has been exploding.

You're right about Reynoldsburg. It's big spurt is essentially over. Probably because it was one of the earliest suburbs.

The south side is definitely the final frontier. There's kind of an arc of development going on from I-70 through Pickerington and then west across US33 to Groveport and Canal Winchester. Then a big gap until Grove City. The west side of Pickerington along Diley road has a TON of new upper-Middle class homes being built.

Nearly all the suburbs along the outside of the 270 belt are quite nice. The unfortunate thing is that they are also all nearly identical and don't have the character of places like Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, or Lakewood.

IMO, the best thing that could happen for Cleveland is for them to do what Indianapolis did and basically create a county-level govt and eliminate nearly all the Cuyahoga County suburbs. But that's unlikely to ever happen. Columbus has all kinds of govt advantages that Cleveland never had and probably never will have.
            Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; September 24, 2014, 07:06 PM.

Comment

• Forgot to mention one impediment to the south side's development...much of what's straight south of downtown is essentially Columbus's utility corridor. The water treatments planets, the dump, the electrical grid, it's all heavily concentrated there just to the east of Grove City.

Comment

• Stan would never beat a dog.

He'd kick a cat, but never beat a dog ....
                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                  Forgot to mention one impediment to the south side's development...much of what's straight south of downtown is essentially Columbus's utility corridor. The water treatments planets, the dump, the electrical grid, it's all heavily concentrated there just to the east of Grove City.
                  Such thrilling and compelling investment narratives here! OP apparently lacks the balls to go after the high-yield stuff. OP, you should hire me as a consultant. Whilst you've been piloting your way around the stripmalls of suburban hell, spotting gads of opportunities to turn $1 in to $1.02, I've been playing on a field that actually matters and has some actual money, in Dubai. Am shielding my eyes from the excessive bling whilst amassing contacts and sussing out the opportunities.

You can never have my balls, OP, sorry to say, but for the right price you CAN have what you might view as the next best thing -- my insights into the global economy, where any sensible person is investing because there's an actual return. I fly out tonight, but PM me for rates and I'll get back to you Monday.
                  Last edited by hack; September 25, 2014, 05:33 AM.

Comment

• Oh that is rich Hack, coming from a guy who last left his balls in a specimen jar at gender reassignment clinic in Copenhagen. LOL

Be careful, those Islamic, Arabic psychopaths will carve your ilk up like fruitcake while blaming you for their failed, religion, culture, history and society.

Thanks Hack but I think I've got it covered, Prime's International portfolio is well-diversified includes some very safe and lucrative Sharia hedge fund participation, besides I've got a couple of Jewish partners that watch 'em 24/7, we're not stupid. There's a fine line between sound ME business and a knock on your door from Homeland Security, my boys have the nose for it but you already knew that.
                    Last edited by Optimus Prime; September 25, 2014, 08:44 AM.
                    ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• To carry on with this municipal roundtable:

IMO, the best thing that could happen for Cleveland is for them to do what Indianapolis did and basically create a county-level govt and eliminate nearly all the Cuyahoga County suburbs. But that's unlikely to ever happen. Columbus has all kinds of govt advantages that Cleveland never had and probably never will have.
                      Exactly. Cleveland, though, is a city that "rose to power" at the turn of the century/early 20th Century. You can still see it in some of the fabulous unoccupied buildings downtown that. However, at the time distinct fiefdoms made sense in view of travel time, etc. Cincinnati has some of the same issues. And both cities, not too coincidentally, are massively insular and parochial with a strange fealty to your particular neighborhood/side of town and gads of "professional" resumes that include your f'n High School.

Columbus boomed much later and when it made sense to incorporate the bejesus out of things. Charlotte, Phoenix -- most growing "sun belt" cities have the same advantage. And, without any particularly distinctive neighborhood, I don't notice anything close to the neighborhood pride associated with two dinosaur cities. I mean, Reynoldsburg is nice and all, but you can find a 2BR condo for the same price with the same proximity to an Applebee's and Target in shit near every other Columbus suburb.

Forgot to mention one impediment to the south side's development...much of what's straight south of downtown is essentially Columbus's utility corridor. The water treatments planets, the dump, the electrical grid, it's all heavily concentrated there just to the east of Grove City.
                      Yeah, I was going to mention that. The drive down I-71 toward Cincitucky is fairly god-awful. Shockingly, the dump isn't the low spot if you actually make it all the way to cinnamon chili country.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I'm sold on Columbus from a build-to-suit commercial property perspective, our group is ready to pull the trigger on a few large parcels that we intend to flip to some heavyweights. If they go under, so does the Nation.

You mean that giant mound on I-71 is not a ski hill?

Comment

• It IS a dangerous world out there, OP. Perhaps not suited to those easily frightened.

Comment

• I have to say this about Columbus.

They have the biggest Budweiser facility that I've see this side of St. Louis.
                            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Just don't get conned into buying anything in Whitehall, OP

Comment

• Thanks DSL.

Originally posted by hack View Post
                                It IS a dangerous world out there, OP. Perhaps not suited to those easily frightened.
                                Hack, I'd be more afraid of you taking a swig from my Coke than any Arab nonsense.

Think of the Chateau OP as impregnable fortress, thanks to the Salvo-12 suppressor. Why wake the kids? Followed by the the Smith & Wesson .500 cal Magnum!

As critiqued by Kyle Myers of GA, he's not really Russian, just makes fun of them.

FPSRussia (stands for "first person shooter")

[Youtube]T4PIdH-FrNw[/Youtube]

[Youtube]rvnpUpMeD8s[/Youtube]

Comment

Working...
                                X