Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan @ Iowa, 8pm EST, Game Day, Post Game Discussion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of demons getting exorcised by HARBUAGH!

Comment

Thats a fack!

Comment

So, M fans are concerned about defending the edge and Tunnel Screens. We should be.

There is another fine job done by Brian in his UFR on M's D v. Maryland. In it, he explains how Maryland abused M with plays that (1) ran right at M's weaknesses in defending the edge and (2) by showing back to back good and bad ways to defend Tunnel Screens and run to the edge of M's D plays, it becomes obvious how these plays should be defended but may, due to talent issues, be hard to fix.

Maryland used a lot of 4 WR sets. What was unique about them is that the receivers were WAYYYYY wide. The net effect was to draw a defender WAYYY out there making it easier to get more Maryland helmets than M had to defend that space.

Guess where the run to the edge plays were most effective? Correct. Stribbling's side of the field (where Peppers is not). On four plays where there is good video available, you can see Stribbling missing tackles/did not force the runner back inside on two of them. McCray not correctly reading the play and putting himself in a position to make a play on one other. McCray appears to learn, though, and on the 4th run of this play, reads it correctly and tackles the runner for a short gain.

Running this play or any play to the outside in Gideon's direction (where Peppers usually was) was a bad idea for Maryland. It was run once or twice for no gain or a loss.

The issue with Stribbling is going to persist and Brian offers that this is something that he expects Brown will do something tactical with.

On the Tunnel Screens, M is vulnerable to this when Brown blitzes a LB as it leaves a vacated space that the play is run directly into. It is a good lesson in how this play is properly defended when you watch it gashing M (in a blitz) for a big chunk play and when it gets hammered for a short gain (not in a blitz). On balance, remember M had 13 TFLs in this game so, blitz on Don, blitz on.

Brian also notes Maryland is good. Way better than MSU in that Maryland, unlike MSU, kept having success with nothing particularly exotic but just executing plays well and mixing them up for 3 quarters. Once MSU got off script (the first couple of possessions were on script), it was not an unexpected fail.

One other thing not mentioned explicitly by Brain in his UFR but I guess you could imply it: Rodriguez was famous for these way wide 4 WR sets for Denard. Gave him room to do his thing; as Denard was discovered to not be a passing threat, doing his thing became more dangerous for Denard's health. A predictable beating ensued.

As well, M, during RR's tenure, could not score as the field shortened because M lacked big people and a power, inside run game. The quasi albatross of the spread in general. Maryland followed that script. osu won't.

Expect osu to challenge M's edges. If jtb gets his rhythm in the short passing and screen game, it's going to be hell to pay. Brian expects M will be repping their weaknesses in defending the tunnel screen and coming up with some wrinkels on Brown's approach to plays running to the edge out of 4 WR sets that put two guys on each side WAYYYY out there like Maryland did.

BTW, up until now, Iowa does none of this. I suspect they might ...... never mind. Ferentz.
        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

Obviously a concern. However, if Iowa and Indiana try to take advantage of this and M does a credible job adjusting or correcting the issue then I hope this will help prepare them to do a better job defending OSU. So, maybe a good thing Maryland exposed the D as it gives M a chance to do something about it the next two games. Hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by Mackenzie View Post
            Obviously a concern. However, if Iowa and Indiana try to take advantage of this and M does a credible job adjusting or correcting the issue then I hope this will help prepare them to do a better job defending OSU. So, maybe a good thing Maryland exposed the D as it gives M a chance to do something about it the next two games. Hopefully!
            Yes, this was one of Brian's positive takes on M's D getting abused more than we, as fans, think it should have been. Teaching points.

Brown will make tactical adjustments to this weakness which was not one off for the Maryland game, it is a trend and it's been present in most contests. The problem is that ufm will be watching film very closely of the next two games, probably more closely than any of the others. While Iowa isn't really big on edging an opponent's D, I think even Ferentz will try. Not sure I want Brown to show how he's planning on attacking that sort of stuff v. Iowa.

IU is a replica of osu's offense in many ways. They will try to edge M big time.

Don't know if anyone caught this but Brown has experimented with Mone in a 3-4 front. This set on D is probably getting repped in practice. The couple of times I saw it v MSU, I didn't like it at all but I'm not sure Mone was 100% either. Dantonio ran successfully right at Peppers out there alone as a Hybrid in that scheme. It's a front not likely to work against teams like MSU (it didn't) and Iowa (I doubt you'll see it). We might see it against IU and quickly shelved if it's a bust.
            There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

Sparty had some success doing what Maryland did very effectively too, just with lesser athletes. Colorado & UCF had some success on the edge as well when they got everyone they needed to blocked.

Comment

Yes, but were much better to combate (iF) that is a problem again with the offense now. Especially Speights improvement as well the O-line is jelling

Comment

I believe that 2005 Michigan at Iowa game was an epic OT win too... or at least very close to end regulation. Wow can't believe that was almost a decade ago... time goes by fast.

As long as Michigan's offense continues to play well, M shouldn't have any issues. In the Iowa games I've seen this year, Iowa's o-line looked very "non-Iowa like." Not good. Beathard shouldn't have a chance vs Michigan's D line.
                  Watch out for Desmond King. King vs Darboh and Chesson is going to be a fun matchup.

Michigan 28
                  Iowa 10
                  AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Iowa does have some players but it's spotty. Lots of issues including pass-pro on offense and back end play on defense. It is Kinnick, it is going to be cold. If Speight is on the same page as his receivers, he's going to have a big night. If not, it's going to be a closer game with a score more like Cody predicts and less like I did. But still, Michigan, so far, is good. Really good. I've not seen one let down this season. Maybe some legit issues but no let downs. Team plays with a lot of enthusiasm and seems to be exceptionally well prepared every week.

Comment

I've always felt Stribling was the weak point in the D. He's got a couple of gimme picks but is susceptible to getting beat deep. As JB pointed out, he missed some open field tackles in the Maryland game which would have resulted in tfls instead of 10-15 yard gains. He'd be the guy I pick on as an OC.

Durkin did M a huge favor by exposing some of the weaknesses. As long as teams continue to play their best against M, M will continue to see new weaknesses which were previously unseen. This can only help them against a stout buckeyes squad. So, thanks Durkin.

Speight = Stud. This guy is a magician. He does Ben Roethlisberger better than Ben Roethlisberger does Ben Roethlisberger. Another win for the QB whisperer.

M 38 - Iowa 10
                      Monkeys don't sell bananas.

Comment

In Stribling's defense, PFF grades him pretty high. Brian admits he doesn't grade a lot of coverage because he can't see him on video. So, on balance, I thing his coverage is good.

Jed Fishe was asked about Stribling in a midweek presser. He was pretty open about the tackling issue saying that Stribling knows about and can correct this issue. I also think that Stribling can get left on an island in Brown's scheme when an opponent spreads the receivers really wide. There's no inside help so, it's tough to do what he is asked to do.

The strength of M's defense inside forces opposing offenses to work the edges so, he's getting a lot of exposure to those kinds of plays. While he may look shakey there, esp. on tackles, it's worth cutting him some slack.

Comment

When thrown at, M's corners are the best in the nation and by a good margin. (as of a week or 2 ago)

Stribling has had some run support/tackling issues, causing some 3yd gains to become 15 yarders but his coverage is excellent.

Comment

Iowa has no doubt watched the MSU tape to see how they ran against Michigan. Hawkeyes can only win if they can rush well and the Michigan offense suddenly turns the ball over. Beathard still pretty good if he gets time to throw.
                            I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

In the tradition of Bo - Jim Harbaugh had the Wolverines cover up Iowa’s visitors pink walls locker room with Maize and Blue posters.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                                In Stribling's defense, PFF grades him pretty high. Brian admits he doesn't grade a lot of coverage because he can't see him on video. So, on balance, I thing his coverage is good.

Jed Fishe was asked about Stribling in a midweek presser. He was pretty open about the tackling issue saying that Stribling knows about and can correct this issue. I also think that Stribling can get left on an island in Brown's scheme when an opponent spreads the receivers really wide. There's no inside help so, it's tough to do what he is asked to do.

The strength of M's defense inside forces opposing offenses to work the edges so, he's getting a lot of exposure to those kinds of plays. While he may look shakey there, esp. on tackles, it's worth cutting him some slack.
                                I haven't reviewed any game film but when I played football from age 12 through high school I played defensive end quite a bit. I had it drilled into my head over and over that I couldn't let the tackle or tight end lock me down. I had to get outside contain. Could this be a contributing factor or are they getting the job done?

Comment

Working...
                                X