Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Football, Team 137, 2016 Season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd say under 40. Or maybe 35. I remember, I think in '99, Lloyd talked about making a run at the BCS, or whatever it was called back then. I remember thinking then that it was the first time I'd heard a Michigan coach talk about anything other than the Rose.

Comment

• The Rose Bowl isn't on the pedestal that it used to be, but there's still something almost indescribably special about the atmosphere. Football looks, sounds and feels better on Jan 1st from 5pm to 8pm in Pasedena than any other time of the year or in any other place.

Comment

• Originally posted by drok View Post
        The Rose Bowl isn't on the pedestal that it used to be, but there's still something almost indescribably special about the atmosphere. Football looks, sounds and feels better on Jan 1st from 5pm to 8pm in Pasedena than any other time of the year or in any other place.
        This.
        Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

Comment

• I will fight anyone who has even the slightest problem with that statement.

Comment

• looks like ol' JH is going to be over-signing assistants too.

Not sure where Dougherty and DBSr. are going to slot in.

Comment

• They won't be hired as coaches, but support staff. No limit there.

Comment

• "It's only us geezers that remember the importance of the Rose to the Big Ten and PAC Ten champions, revere it and all of that.

Most people under 50 and probably everyone under 40 have no idea that the Rose was once the king of the Bowls and the two conferences that vied for a birth in it were the premier CFB conferences."

That is very true! The Rose Bowl was HUGE even when I was in high school!
                As a junior at my H.S. in Detroit in Jan. 1948 we were shown a movie in the school auditorium of Michigan's victory over USC. (49-0!) This was before the era of television. It was a huge event and I think it was shown all over the Detroit high schools that year.

Another thing, of my class of nearly 500 graduates in 1949, the top 50 mostly enrolled at UM and the next 200 enrolled at MSC. Things have not changed that much. "Little brother" and all that stuff.

Comment

• LOL!!

Great story, Doc.
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Rose Bowl is special or at least was when M used to go there regularly...

It's lost a lot of it's luster with the BCS (now the CFP) and because the Pac 12, B1G Champions aren't playing each other in it but it's still the best bowl game after the CFP...

I'm under 40 and remember when it was the king of all bowls.

Comment

• It was such an important bowl, that other conferences used to complain about the B1G and Pac 12 having an exclusive agreement with Tournament of Roses. They wanted in. It finally happened with the advent of the BCS.
                      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• They whinned with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind, as well they should have. With its tradition and history, the Rose Bowl is the #1 bowl to reach. All others look on and cry. If I could only watch one game in the post season, it'd be the Rose Bowl, not the BcS title game.
                        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Didn't they whine because the Rose Bowl had the biggest payout?
                          I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• In a word, yes.

But the movement in CFB that started about a decade ago to allow teams outside the power 5 to have access to the big bowls at first and now the BCS playoffs. It was the larger issue of gaining access to the huge amounts of money that the power 5 conferences had access to in the post season.

It was a foot in the door. It ought to be closed. I'm for a two tier playoff system with the power 5 in the top tier and the rest at the second level.
                            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by drok View Post
                              The Rose Bowl isn't on the pedestal that it used to be, but there's still something almost indescribably special about the atmosphere. Football looks, sounds and feels better on Jan 1st from 5pm to 8pm in Pasedena than any other time of the year or in any other place.
                              It's 2pm to 5pm in Pasadena.

I do have dreams of seeing Michigan win a game there. They're 0-4 when I've watched them in person.

'83 Rose, I had pneumonia since November but felt well enough that we didn't cancel the trip. Didn't feel bad most of the week we were there. Game day, I collapsed for a moment while in line and threw up as soon as I got back to the hotel.

'00 regular-season loss to UCLA, when Henson was hurt. I sat in the endzone and got sunburn on the right side of my face.

The '04 game against USC. I don't remember much other than they lost and it took forever to get out of the parking lot.

Finally, the '05 Rose vs. Texas. Great tailgating and a great game that was pissed away in the 4th due to Lloyd and also Vince Young.

Comment

• since moving here in 2002, have been to all three M appearances in the Rose Bowl ---> two beat downs to USC and one great game but painful loss to UT. Never expected this many years would have elapsed without M returning.

Comment

Working...
                                X