No announcement yet.

Michigan Football, Team 139, 2018 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dan Enos?????????? Really???????????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
      But I did expect at least a .500 record in rivalry games by now
      Really would be but for the punt fiasco vs. MSU and the crooked ref in the '16 oLIEo game.

Luck or whatever was not on Harbaugh's side in those 2 occasions.
      Atlanta, GA

Comment

Per mgoblue.com, Al Washington has joined the defensive staff as a TBD position coach. Complete bio in the link.

Question is, is he a replacement for Chris partridge or Devin Bush, Sr. currently on the staff but not officially as an assistant. There was thiking that Bush senior (father of Bush, Jr who is currently on the roster) would move up to assistant. Word on the street is apparently not.

It would seem that Al Washington would be a Mattison replacement mid-term but according to people in the know (Space Cyote) he ......

........ could help on the DL, he could help with the LBs, or he could work in the secondary. It's important to note that Brown was a defensive coordinator and CBs coach at Maryland and UConn before being the DC and LB coach at BC. So they also have flexibility with him.

University of Michigan J. Ira and Nicki Harris Family Head Football Coach Jim Harbaugh announced Friday (Jan. 5) the hiring of Al Washington to the d...
        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

Let it go, man.

M lost ....... the fan base needs to move on. Watch basketball, hockey. Sit back and munch a bag of pop corn as the coaching staff thing gets worked out.

M football is and will be fine. Mere bump in the road.
          Duly noted JB

Comment

No idea how much this guy really knows, so take it with a grain of salt:

Just a summary of everything I’ve heard this weekend. I’m sure some of you will have heard some of these things. Just thought I’d put this all out there.

Enos is RB coach but I’ve also heard WR coach. Maybe running game or passing game Coordinator/ co-OC. Not sure but definitely a position coach. I question the WR coach reports only because I am suspicious of the possibility of Zach Azzanni, WR coach for the Chicago Bears, becoming the next WR coach at Michigan. This is totally out of the blue but on Twitter he has a VERY large number of Michigan players that started following him. Also he follows coach Harbaugh. Just seems very random that this guy all the sudden has this on his Twitter bc he is not a college coach. No reason to have recruits or something following him. Story on him is he has had some pretty good gigs including pass game Coordinator at Tennessee, WR coach at Florida under Meyer, WR coach at Wisconsin, obviously with the Bears now, and my favorite is he was at CMU when Antonio Brown was there.
            Washington is LB coach.

Good chance Bush Sr is Special Teams and I’m just gonna assume Jay back to TE.

Sounds like Drevno will stay and just coach the OL. No OC duties. The entire line. Will have Asst HC title to warrant the pay obviously.

Partridge is not a definite thing yet but this is what I heard. He wants to stay in AA. But Bama offered LB coach and Co D Coordinator. And a lot of money. Harbaugh apparently matched the money and the co-dc title. Along with coaching safties and is next in line when Don Brown retires. So hopefully that keeps him around. I would think so

Finally it’s sounds like it’s down to Yurcich (who I believe is #1 and that’s just my personal opinion), Brian Wright the Toledo OC, Matt Canada, Cale Gundy, Lonnie Galloway, and I guess we will throw in Jed Fisch but I don’t see that happening. Most think Canada is a risky hire but he is being looked at very seriously. Sounds like Yurcich is looking around which is telling. Would think OKST would lock him in but maybe that’s why he’s doing it. Boone Pickens is a booster/alum at OKST and if he wants Yurcich he will make sure he gets him. But if he wants someone else Yurcich is as good as gone most likely. Basically Boone gets what Boone wants is what I’ve been told. Now I can’t quite get what it meant but one of the things I’ve had hinted was that maybe Brian Wright is our guy but that same information may point to Wright being a OKST candidate and maybe even who Boone wants. Tough to tell. This guy is very connected and likes to have fun spitting out small tidbits in the form of riddles so who knows. That’s just what I took away from what he said

Pep is pretty much gone. Will be announced either today or tomorrow I suspect.

I also think we will hear something very soon. 2 reasons. Tomorrow January 9 is the first day the staff can bring in a 10th coach. Also Thursday is when the dead period ends for talking to recruits. Most think this all needs to be announced by that time to help make a solid push in the final month of this recruiting cycle.

Lotta smoke. Lotta rumors. Sounds like the person sharing stuff thinks we will be very happy with the OC they have hired bc he believes that has happened or is in process at this point. We should know soon ladies and gents.
            Atlanta, GA

Comment

Whodean ...... who are you quoting. I might be able to lend some information as to how credible this report is. If it's pay-walled, no worries, we don't need to know.
              There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

I'm a big fan of Matt Canada. He did a great job of making MANBALL work at Pitt with mediocre talent.

Comment

To add to the info above .....

I've heard Drevno is staying but as Assistant HC and OL. Personally, I'm fine with this and it is completely in character with how JH might have handled the situation he was faced with.

Also, Pep Hamilton will be announced as gone, to somewhere but I've heard nothing as to where, sometime this week.

The Bear's Zach Azzanni thing is indeed "out of the blue" but fits in with what I've heard about Hamilton.

I too have heard nothing suggesting Enos was going to be a WR coach. More likely he's going to replace Hamilton as passing game coordinator/QB coach and co-oc.

I've heard the Matt Canada LSU) thing at mgoboard. He's definitely a pro-style, power run offense advocate. With the other names thrown in their in the post above (e.g., Yurcich - OKST - and Wright - Toledo) that signals Harbaugh appears to be looking for something beyond the horribly Debordian offense he's displayed to date. I'm OK with Canada but a change of pace would be nice. Interesting stuff about Boone Pickins and Yurcich. Good news, if true, on Partridge.

This is what it appears we have or are moving to:

HC: JH
                  Assistant HC, OL Drevno

DC: Don Brown
                  Assistant DC, DL: Mattison
                  Assistant DC, DL: Patterson (Mattison might retire after next season; he'll be 69)
                  LB: Partridge
                  DB: Zordich (if he's staying and some think he leaves)
                  ST: Bush, Sr.

Co-OC: Enos, passing game coordinator, QB coach
                  Co-OC: Canada v. Yurchich v. Wright v. Cale Gundy (OU RB coach) v. Galloway (OC Louisville)**, run game coordinator
                  RB: Co-OC See above
                  OL: Drevno
                  TE: Jay Harbaugh
                  WR: Azzani or somebody else

S&C: Ben Herbert

** Galloway is the guy suspended one game for taking insider info on Wake's offense before their bowl game in '16

If my counting is right, that's 10 Assistant coaches - the new normal.
                  Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; January 8, 2018, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I'm not at all a fan of the "passing game coordinator", "running game coordinator" stuff.

Comment

• Yeah, it appears that it hasn't worked at M but it is, apparently, becoming the norm at the CFB level. It is the norm in the NFL and JH used it at all his gigs after SDS. I suppose we need to get used to it..... besides, this will end Brian's endless bitching about it.

Comment

• If that's the norm, that's the norm.

Happier with the diagnosis of Pep as the problem than with Drevno as the problem. Still feeling a bit iffy on Drevno, whose run game has pretty consistently failed to make any lemonade at all with the lemons they've had, but he's not going to be working with lemons much longer. If nobody from the Filiaga/Steuber/Honigford/Hudson set of options emerges for next year then it's time to think about that again. But the passing game was pressing. No QBs developed. Crawford and the slots didn't either.

Comment

• Regarding the QB competition for next year...As I recall, QB Dylan McCaffrey seemed a bit slight of frame and thought was that he needed to bulk up and get stronger before taking any college level hits and perhaps getting broken in two. Anyone know how he is progressing in terms of his physical development and how that might effect his on field chances next season?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mackenzie View Post
                            Regarding the QB competition for next year...As I recall, QB Dylan McCaffrey seemed a bit slight of frame and thought was that he needed to bulk up and get stronger before taking any college level hits and perhaps getting broken in two. Anyone know how he is progressing in terms of his physical development and how that might effect his on field chances next season?
                            I was at the Outback Bowl and right behind the M bench about 30 rows up. Clearly saw McCaffrey. Compared to Peters, he looks like a HS kid - probably under 200 right now but close. He's tall and thin. I think Peters comes in at about 220 and he's a big boy. Speight was about an inch taller and a little thicker.

I wouldn't put McCaffrey out there right now. Too skinny. But what do I know. Reportedly he's pretty agile.

Comment

• Bears have a new HC. Chiefs OC Matt Naggy. He wasn't fired by the Chiefs so this is a step up for him.

Makes the talk of WR coach Zach Azzanni as somebody JH might have reached out to as more than just possible.

My view was the passing game and the stuff Pep was running were a major issue with the offense despite the chicken and egg thing being a legit question as to which caused the other.

That Peters looked pretty bad in Tampa only fuels the fire that Hamilton had a lot to do with whatever regression or lack of improvement Peters has shown as a starter.

I really hope we are soon to learn Hamilton is done. Best of luck to him but so long.

Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; January 8, 2018, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• Nagy will be good.
                                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X