Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NCAA has made an exception and allowed the coaches to be able to say something publicly about Austin. Here's a letter that John Beilein posted:

Austin Hatch Updates

John Beilein released a letter regarding Austin Hatch to the Michigan community:

Our basketball program and the Michigan community were saddened to hear about the tragedy that affected the Hatch family late Friday evening. Austin needs as much support right now as possible and he continues to be in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

We are grateful that the NCAA has relaxed some of the contact restrictions currently in place to accommodate this unique set of circumstances for our coaches. We appreciate that they and Big Ten office are working with us throughout this situation. Both groups have been in communication with our compliance office and continue to provide valuable insight on a daily basis.

The outpouring of support from our Michigan faithful, coaches, administrators and fans across the country has been overwhelming. We are thankful for all the support that has been offered to the Hatch family. We appreciate that the NCAA will continue to work with us and act in the best interest of everyone involved.

Thanks for your continued prayers for Austin and the Hatch family.
    John Beilein
    Also, if you feel like leaving words of encouragement or a donation, there's been a site set up for Austin:

Check out this CaringBridge website, where you'll find the latest updates, ways to offer hands-on help and a place for messages of love, hope and compassion.

Comment

• Wonder if he become more important if Hatch cannot play.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure Irvin was offered the same day Hatch was.

Comment

• I think GR III is referring to Mitch McGary (his AAU teammate) in this tweet. That would be a huge get. I read somewhere that McGary was visiting U of M this week.

Is he referring Mitch McGary in this tweet?

G_Rob_THR33 Glenn Robinson III
          Excited to be up here with my Michigan fam again...S/o to my bro could b commin here with me.
          2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Comment

• I'd give that about a 1 in 1,000,000.

Comment

• Hope this posts... from 9/10 News

• news home • latest news • michigan news • national news • launch video player

Charlevoix Pilot Saw Hatch Family Plane Crash, Gives Perspective
              Posted On: 6/29/2011

Investigators are still trying to figure out what caused last week's deadly Charlevoix plane crash, but one airport pilot saw the whole thing happen.

Ken Slough is Chief Pilot for Island Airways, flying planes to and from Beaver Island.

He said the weather was already causing trouble last Friday.

"There were a couple times during that day even after we started flying where we had to ground the planes, stop flying and wait for the weather to get better," Slough said.

Slough was done flying for the day and he was working on paperwork in the terminal when he saw the plane getting ready to land.

"About half way down the runway the pilot tried to descend below the cloud layer of the ceiling and land the airplane but as it approached the pit, the left side of the airport, I think it realized it ran out of runway, the pilot realized it ran out of runway, and tried to make 180 degree turn toward the water town on the left side and come back to the runway," he said.

That's when Slough said the plane looped back around and tried to land from the other direction.

"The pilot look like he tried to pitch up heavily and increase throttle at which point threw the aircraft into an aerodynamic stall and caused it to roll hard to the left and hit the garage where it landed," he said.

Slough said he had never seen a plane crash until that Friday night.

"He was popping in and out of the clouds so I can’t tell you what he saw from his perspective, but from my perspective he was popping in and out of the clouds and having not landed the airplane on that first attempt coming in I’m assuming he didn’t see anything," he said.

Jennifer Profitt and Photojournalist Justin DePrekel sat down with Slough, they have the story.

Leave Feedback

Comment

• Glenn Robinson III is now up to #46 in the latest Rivals.com rankings. That's the highest ranking for any Coach Beilein recruit. Nik Stauskas is at #99.

Comment

• Robinson is closer to where he belongs, he's a blue chipper than will help almost immediately.

Comment

• I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the McDonald's All-American team next year. He's still growing and his game is getting stronger.

Comment

• Latest and perhaps last word on the Austin Hatch tragedy. Some good news regarding Austin in the last part.

Comment

• 2012 G/F Nik Stauskas impresses in his first action of the summer:

The Reebok Breakout Challenge doesn’t attract the same level of talent as the Nike Skills Academies, but there were still a number of impressive prospects featured at the event. It was also the first real action of the summer for 2012 commitment Nick Stauskas and the scoring wing guard made the most of it, impressing […]

Comment

• Highlights of GR III at the IBCA Top 100 camp:

Players from all over the State of Indiana converged at Ben Davis High School on Monday for the Annual IBCA Top 100 Showcase. The event, which is open to NCAA coaches, features the top underclassmen in Indiana. Participants engage in a variety of drills, skill evaluations, seminars and three rounds of scrimmages prior to the […]

Comment

• Now that he's healthy, we have Stauskas AAU highlights as well:

[YOUTUBE]Dl6JGtIrThM&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

I know we'll be losing Novak & Douglass after this season but if TH Jr. returns for the 2012-13 season, Michigan will be the most talented and deepest it's been in over 10 years.

Comment

• Just looking at the possible depth and spots that guys could play on next year's team:

C Morgan/Horford/Beilfeldt
                              PF Smot/GR III/Beilfeldt/Christian
                              SF TH Jr./GR III/Vogrich
                              SG Brundidge/Stauskas/TH Jr./Vogrich
                              PG Burke/Stauskas/Brundidge

Towel waver: McLimans

Comment

• I'd be way more excited about 2011-12 if we still had Morris. I think we are going to severly miss him.

Comment

Working...
                                X