Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hating on the $EC - Mostly Alabama (and a little Georgia too)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
    These pell grants and stipends just don't add up to a $30k used vehicle. I haven't used a ton of math since high school, help anyone?
    Changed my mind.

Sure. Should have read me upthread a few weeks back.

1) Student loans+Pells+Stipend = equals $20k a year in cash. I don't know where you buy your cars, but a payment on a $17,000 Dodge, assuming 48-months, is around $5000 a year in payments IF you didn't want to pay cash. Of course, you could pay cash for it. All without parents' cash.

2) a 5-year old Charger can be had for much less than $30k. But a $30k car can be done. $7.5k/yr in payments.

3) I guarantee you, aside from Peppers' Yukon, other M players are driving similar. I know my students are. It's rare to see kids in jalopies. And these aren't kids on a full ride.
    Last edited by AlabamAlum; February 27, 2017, 11:25 PM.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
      You also don't have any evidence. Nothing that has to be explained away like a series of vehicle pictures being posted on Twitter that are nicer than what the kids of wealthy parents usually drive.
      Missed this earlier.

First, that's not the case. None of the cars were new. A nice used car is easily affordable.

Second, even if they didn't have the cash from loans, grants, and stipends, and they had to rely only on mom and dad, how do you know what the moms and dads of all those kids make? Do you have copies of their W2's?

Is it because they are black, Hannibal? Sure seems like it. What else are you basing your assumptions on? Just own your racism, dude. Do those uppity negroes drive a nicer car than you? Make you mad? Ready to get the pillow case with eye holes cut out?

jfc
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Why are these athletes on full scholarships getting student loans to buy cars when they already have a pell grant and stipends?

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
          Why are these athletes on full scholarships getting student loans to buy cars when they already have a pell grant and stipends?

Why? Because they can and they want to be flush with cash. Is it smart? Hell no. Just like the ubiquitous first credit card on your own most get in college.

Many feel like they will get some fat NFL contract and the student loan repayment will be easy, and for some it is. For most, it puts them in the hole.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
            Missed this earlier.

First, that's not the case. None of the cars were new. A nice used car is easily affordable.

Second, even if they didn't have the cash from loans, grants, and stipends, and they had to rely only on mom and dad, how do you know what the moms and dads of all those kids make? Do you have copies of their W2's?

Is it because they are black, Hannibal? Sure seems like it. What else are you basing your assumptions on? Just own your racism, dude. Do those uppity negroes drive a nicer car than you? Make you mad? Ready to get the pillow case with eye holes cut out?

jfc

Comment

• AlabamAlum gets really defensive on this subject. Let's say that Alabama is actually cheating... witch they are. I know alot of ppl claim they are cheating & whatnot with their recruiting etc, but at this point, there's NO WAY the NCAA would bring any sanctions against Bama or bring punishment against Satan.

He's won so much the past several years that it'd make the entire sport of college football look like a joke. If you had to vacate nat. titles or wins you'd have a huge gap in college football history.

Comment

• No, the NCAA would never go after a successful program. Just ask Pete Carroll at USC or Jim Tressel at Ohio State.

Saban is starting his 22nd season as a head coach. He has avoided scrutiny by coaching 5 years on the B1G and 15 in the SEC.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                  No, the NCAA would never go after a successful program. Just ask Pete Carroll at USC or Jim Tressel at Ohio State.

Saban is starting his 22nd season as a head coach. He has avoided scrutiny by coaching 5 years on the B1G and 15 in the SEC.
                  The NCAA punished Ohio State is little as you can punish a program for the level of payola that was going on there.

And FTR, I have never said that Saban is an especially corrupt coach. In the SEC, I think that it's more the culture than the coach.

I also wouldn't say that the NCAA is afraid of damaging a cash cow. They are just toothless for other reasons, the most of which is that they adopt a "beyond a reasonable doubt" measure of guilt when they have no power to compel testimony or subpeona documents. There has to be third party, unrelated inteference for there to be any consequences of cheating.

Comment

• It's a shame the Pryor incident came to light in 2010-2011. By now most have come to the view that student-athletes are unfairly treated and that bartering your stuff for other things isn't so bad and, perhaps, the least we can do for these kids.

In any event, TP's actions and Tressel's lie were punished without mercy by both the NCAA and, inexplicably, the NFL. But, at the end of the day, it all worked out.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Comment

• It was more like:

But, fortunately Urbs arrived and was able to take over a rough situation and make it better.

Comment

• Hardly a Reign of Terror

Comment

• Well, the NCAA Robespierre-ites did all they could do to purge CFB of one its most beloved institutions. But, fortunately UFM arrived to save CFB and, possibly, Western Civilization.

Comment

• Okay, I'll end this: that unsupported gut feeling about Alabama you have does not matter. Not even a little bit. It's worthless. it means nothing. What you think you know about Bama or "the culture" is as relevant as what I think I know about whatever school you may have attended, Hannibal.

This is really like talking to conspiracy theorists.

"9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!"

"How do you know? What proof do you have?"

"I don't have proof; they cover their tracks too well! I just know."

"Without proof..."

"Okay. How about this: jet fuel won't melt steel beams!"

"No, but it will 'soften' the metal and make it more pliable which will reduce its structural load tolerances and likelihood of a critical failure to..."

"9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!"
                              Last edited by AlabamAlum; February 28, 2017, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• A Robespierre mention?

Well done.

Comment

Working...
                                X