Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You are already feeling the benefit of Urban Meyer in the Big Ten. Don't think for one second that the presence of Meyer didn't prod the administration of Michigan to go hard and big after Harbaugh.

Comment

• Bunch of amateurs. They need to consult with MSU supporters. But they did make the BBC.

Police fired tear gas at crowds of celebrating American football fans who set rubbish bins alight in Columbus, Ohio, and refused to disperse.
      “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Where are the couches?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
          How do the other teams in the Big Ten benefit from that? Their jobs all became harder last night. Screw all of that kumbaya crap.
          agree... rather see a big 10 team win than not, but hey.. I'm not going SEC on this win
          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• I side with Rocky.

Ohio 1, World 0.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• The unthinkableness of this all won't set in for awhile. I just saw a picture of LeBron James hugging Cardale Jones and talking to him. LeBron James. After Cardale Jones QB'd OSU to a win over Alabama and a win over Oregon to win the national title. Cardale Jones.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                You are already feeling the benefit of Urban Meyer in the Big Ten. Don't think for one second that the presence of Meyer didn't prod the administration of Michigan to go hard and big after Harbaugh.
                I agree with that, BUT that game last night did nothing good for Michigan or the other BIG 10 teams.

AND they hired Harbaugh three years late!
                Last edited by Rocky Bleier; January 13, 2015, 12:51 PM.
                I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• One thing that was glaring by its absence last night was Oregon?s tempo; I am very curious to hear what Frost has to say about that, because it?s a huge part of their overall approach. Similar to the physical effects of running downhill which tOSU demonstrated, the fatigue factor becomes a force multiplier for their offense, to say nothing of the mental pressure it applies.

That said, I already see a false narrative forming: Ohio State overcomes speed with brute power. This is a gross oversimplification. Ohio State didn?t win because they were big and strong, they won because they are big, strong, and fast. Fast enough at least for that size and strength to apply. If you lack speed, even holding the edge doesn?t help

This, I think, points out the fatal flaw in Oregon?s approach when faced with equal athletes; its dependant on out-thinking them. They have a fine design, but so do a lot of offenses- its their tempo which sets them apart. With five days to prepare, it works extremely well. When the defense has nine or more, it losses effectiveness.

Ohio State OTOH doesn?t fool anybody by and large, they just do what they really well. That carries on into all scenarios, be it five days prep, nine, or twenty.

Comment

• I don't give that stuff much thought. I didn't actively root for either team, I went to sleep knowing OSU would win even after Oregon closed to within 1.

The only benefit you might get is we saw the Big Ten was much better than it was given credit for. But that was already established before last night. There is the Big Ten winning and the aftermath of the initial tournament. OSU nearly didn't get into it and it was clear they were the best team. It's a new era.

Comment

• Hoss:

Oregon didn't seem like the faster team to me. I thought OSU's defense played really fast and matched Oregon's speed. I mean, if they didn't then OSU would have been had jet sweeps and screens run at them all day.

On the other side of the ball, Elliot is fast. And OSU created big plays with their passing game.

I know you're only taking issue with the narrative and such and that you agree, but I think a lot of folks saw the same thing. Elliot's bludgeoning of Oregon in the 4th may distort that perception a bit into the "manball/brawn" -- but OSU won that game, as you said, by matching Oregon's speed and being better in other aspects.

Comment

• Now I want to see osu v.s. TCU.
                        I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• I want to see TCU-Alabama first. If they win, then OSU-TCU. Heh.

I know they thrashed Ole Miss and all, but Ole Miss was poop and one game removed from getting beat 30-squat by Arkansas.

The B12 was meh in the bowl season with Baylor finding a way to lose, OU and Texas getting prison-sexed and K-State getting wacked hard, too.

Would have been nice for them to get a shot in the CFP, but thou shalt not play Ole Miss and get a bye to the title game!

Comment

• Kinda. OSU did a great job of stretching those out by winning the edges, which essentially gives the pursuit a shorter distance to traverse. That makes a guy look faster...in an even footrace, or with the edges caved, who knows. But as I said, there's more to it than that; OSU had the wheels to stalk and prevent the cutback too, which I doubt OR expected. Pursuit has to be fast, but also under control...like slowplaying the option really.

The other aspect is that OSU did an amazing job stopping the IZ game with basically 3 players. Like defending the option, it works inside-out; if the OLB/Apex defenders are looking outside first, because they aren't concerned about the TB racing up the hash behind them, they get a head start. In the opposite case, they are tailchasing.

OR's ability to consistently gash people on those plays with those small OL and no lead back has always puzzled me. That should be priority No. 1 when playing those guys.

Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                            Hoss:

Oregon didn't seem like the faster team to me. I thought OSU's defense played really fast and matched Oregon's speed. I mean, if they didn't then OSU would have been had jet sweeps and screens run at them all day.

Comment

• OSU was really good at wrapping up tacklers.

Comment

• Oregon's kryptonite for years was Stanford when JH was there...brute force...slow them down...power football...I love it...Oregon was the "sexy" team...tOSU was the football team. Power football CAN work...and the SEC/Pac-12 lovefest by ESPN has been brutally interrupted...and although I loathe Talent...it was a thing of beauty...it's how Nebraska thrashed Florida all those years ago...

Some people never learn.
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X