No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of vomit, fecal matter, and GI bleeding, how about that Inauguration concert?

Comment

• Not gonna watch it. Can't.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
        Speaking of vomit, fecal matter, and GI bleeding, how about that Inauguration concert?
        I watched a little bit, while on the treadmill after work. The pain was dulled by that suffering to a tolerable level...at least until Toby Keith came out on stage. At that point I chose burpees instead, and it was the right decision. First and last time that will be true, I hope.

Its just surreal, still. This guy who, when I was a kid, was just some joker I used to see on grocery-store tabloids, is now president. W.T.F.

Comment

• Honest Abe had a front row seat. Probably wondered wistfully when John Wilkes Booth was going to show up?

Too soon?

Comment

• If you're choosing Burpees, it must be awful.

Comment

• Forgotten casualty of the election: the Onion's fantastic 8-year run with Joe Biden (NSFW I suppose)

WASHINGTON—Sighing wistfully while recalling all the times the psychedelic artwork helped get his “rocks off,” Vice President Joe Biden reportedly grew emotional Thursday as he carefully took down a blacklight poster of a topless barbarian chick from his office wall. “Man, you have no idea how many times staring up at…

Comment

• Someone, I think, posted some NYT article claiming that Rick Perry had no idea what the Department of Energy did. The NRO takes that article to task: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...erry-fake-news

The NYT responded saying they stood by their story. The NRO author mocked further: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...erry-fake-news

Included in that post is a video from 2014 that includes this exchange:

“You served in the Air Force and probably know a big part of the Department of Energy is National Security and nuclear, nuclear arsenal,” said Greg Dalton, founder of the Climate One forum.

“Yep,” said Perry.
                The NYT article, of course, stated that Perry had the wrong understanding of what the DoE does and literally just found out that the Department of Energy is in charge of the nuclear arsenal:

When President-elect Donald J. Trump offered Rick Perry the job of energy secretary five weeks ago, Mr. Perry gladly accepted, believing he was taking on a role as a global ambassador for the American oil and gas industry that he had long championed in his home state.

In the days after, Mr. Perry, the former Texas governor, discovered that he would be no such thing — that in fact, if confirmed by the Senate, he would become the steward of a vast national security complex he knew almost nothing about, caring for the most fearsome weapons on the planet, the United States’ nuclear arsenal.
                The NYT long ago quit pretending.
                Last edited by iam416; January 20, 2017, 08:19 AM.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I should also say, they are gads of reasons to be concerned about Rick Perry being in charge of anything. In fact, my impression of him is such that I fully believed the NYT article without any consideration. Rick Perry had no clue what the DoE does? Sure. I can buy that!

Comment

• Good follow up. The Times definitely blew it...and shame on me if I posted it here (i know I shared it elsewhere)

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                      I should also say, they are gads of reasons to be concerned about Rick Perry being in charge of anything. In fact, my impression of him is such that I fully believed the NYT article without any consideration. Rick Perry had no clue what the DoE does? Sure. I can buy that!
                      It all sounds pretty thin to me. The Times exaggerated, but not by as much as is suggested subsequently.

In the end, we call agree that Rick Perry should leading cheers at A&M, not the DoE.

Comment

• Reports that Trump plans to eliminate the National Endowment for the Arts and privatize both PBS and NPR prompt prep for a fight

Comment

• Privatize...the Public Broadcasting System?

Comment

• It all sounds pretty thin to me. The Times exaggerated, but not by as much as is suggested subsequently.
                            Well, I mean, it was pretty big. They wanted to portray Perry as a total rube who had no clue, at the most basic level, what the DoE did. And they KNEW they could get away with it.

Perry is, IMO, a numbskull. One of my favorite lines from the R primary was DJT sassing Perry saying he only wore glasses to look smart, but everyone knows he's an idiot -- something to that effect. But he has baseline competence. Very rudimentary, but still.

The article doesn't read the same if it says "Perry has steep learning curve...." -- I mean, I assume that to be the case for anything he undertakes from tying his shoes to playing Uno.

Comment

• Politico with a long piece of potential D woes and ways back to the victory circle: http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...revival-214650

Very long, but I liked it and you dipshits don't have to read it.

Comment

• that story was definitely suspect on first read. very clearly a hit job.

Comment

Working...
                                X