Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point will all you assholes just believe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
    A friend of mine, a true Lions die hard just up and quit on them week 1. He shut off the game in the 4th quarter and just walked away, says he had never shut off a game before. Like something in him just snapped. And this is a football lifer, college player, long time HS coach. Dressed his kids up in Lions gear to send out Football season cards to start the season for a number of years. He just couldnt' take it anymore. (and he's not someone that can see the humor in it).
    Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
    I'm not far behind him.

All sports really.

Such a waste of time
    Originally posted by Niffla View Post
    Same. The old me would've been so hyped last night. 0-2 and all. Prime time home opener? Shit the old me would've treated it like the superbowl (because Lord knows they'll never go to a real superbowl). Pre-drinking, game drinking, the whole nine. Last night I cracked a beer, and by the time the first quarter was over I just had the overwhelming feeling of not giving a fuck. And I was kind of tired and amazingly (for me) actually considered going to sleep during the game...and it wasn't even halftime yet. In the past such a thought would be utterly unfathomable. Hell I watched every snap of the 0-16 season with full attention for fuck's sake. I didn't even go back to the fridge for another beer. Had virtually no excitement at all for the game. Not even when the Lions showed glimpses here & there. I mean they were in the game until the end, and yet, I just didn't really give a shit either way.

I've wasted & burned countless hours of my life thinking about this team. Countless Sundays that were completely worked around the game time kickoff of the Lions game. It's getting old. And this isn't some woe is me for being a poor Lions fan post -- it's just the truth, I'm starting not to care anymore. The emotional attachment is going away with each failed season. And maybe that's a good thing.

Yep. It really is a complete waste of time. All my friends -- die hard sports fans. Their lives revolve around it. Watching a game with a ball on television. It's so stupid when you think about it. And I'm in no position to judge, because I've been every bit the sports fan they (or anyone other average sports fanatic across the country) has been. But when you start to notice around you that people place a game as one of the highest priorities in their lives, I see myself and how pathetic that shit is.
    It is no longer sports. It is how much will you pay to watch me play.

I mocked the amount of times they went to commercials during yesterdays game because virtually in the first half, if the ball changed hands or a review was made (and there were some from the teams and some from the officials booth, there was always a TV time out and the income revenue counter was spinning so fast, they had to replace the counter to make sure they did not miss anything).

......and I am not going to get into the officiating discussion but, when the amount of calls on the field were overturned by instant replay, ......well, nuff said.
    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• They had so many punts, reviews and turnovers they ran out of spots for ads.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
        They had so many punts, reviews and turnovers they ran out of spots for ads.
        I thought that also with some of the spots that were run.

Comment

• Yeah after awhile they quit going to commerical after a change of possession, they are getting ahead of the ads they sold.

Comment

• The super bowl is so bad that I think I'm just watching a 4 hour advertisement with a broken up football game thrown in to break up the ads

Comment

• I have a Vietnamese restaurant that specializes in Pho around the corner, and 20 minutes away in the D there is Johnny Noodle, and 40 minutes away in AA, there is the Slurping Turtle.

Looks like I am going on a quest to find a Lions fan best superbowl ever.

Comment

• There is a restaurant in Seattle named "what the Pho" :smile:

Comment

Browns fans don't count, that team is an expansion team. And they did have more success with the old team than the Lions have had since '57.

I guess they conflate the misery of being a Cleveland sports fan in general, but the Lions have the Browns beat for futility. Plus they got another team, If the unthinkable happened and the Lions moved to LA, Detroit might not get another team.
                  I dunno, man. Think of how much of a gut punch it is for "your" team to finally reach the top of the mountain pretty much the moment they LEFT.

And the NFL goes, "We're so sorry about this. Have this shitty expansion team as an apology. We cool? Cool."

Browns fans have a very strong argument that Lions fans should acknowledge. The Lions have merely been bad, and any torment to the fan base has been largely self-inflicted (believing in a team that you have no reason to believe in). The Browns have been active torturers of their followers.

Comment

• The Lions have won one playoff game in 58 years. Nobody comes close.

Yeah, it is tough luck the Ravens have won two Super Bowls. But the current Browns are an expansion team, when they list off the franchises that haven't been to a Super Bowl they should especially make note the Lions are the only team with any history not to go to the Super Bowl.

The Lions have lapped the field in ineptitude, don't try to take that as well.

Comment

The Lions have won one playoff game in 58 years. Nobody comes close.

Yeah, it is tough luck the Ravens have won two Super Bowls. But the current Browns are an expansion team, when they list off the franchises that haven't been to a Super Bowl they should especially make note the Lions are the only team with any history not to go to the Super Bowl.

The Lions have lapped the field in ineptitude, don't try to take that as well.
                      Again, the harm to the Lions faithful is largely self-inflicted. We know they are going to suck, and we drink the Kool-Aid anyway. We only have ourselves to blame.

The Browns for spurts were actually VERY good, and while the Lions would fuck themselves just as a regular season event, the Browns would wait until the AFC Championship to bend their fans over. The Drive. The Fumble. Red Right 88.

What's the closest analogue the Lions have to that? Getting smoked by the obviously superior team in their only NFC Championship appearance? Eddie Murray's miss? The Philly playoff loss? Sterling Sharpe breaking free twice? None of those have nearly the sort of agony attached to them. The Lions were never ever really "contenders" like the Browns had been.

Those were soul crushing PLAYOFF games. What the Browns lacked in quantity, they made up for in quality.
                      Last edited by chemiclord; September 28, 2015, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• I don't buy that self-inflicted nonsense. That's a fake argument, I'd much rather lose in a championship game by The Fumble or The Drive, than be terribly crappy all these years. That's worse, its not even close.

I look favorably on Murray's miss or the 91 championship game.

Comment

• I guess it's a matter of opinion. Because personally, a team that sucks, then lives up to expectations? That doesn't hurt much. If you get all hyped to the point that the team living up to expectations hurts you... that's on YOU.

But to repeatedly be a legitimate contender year after year, then finding gloriously catastrophic ways to ruin all those legitimate hopes, each one more ridiculous than the last? That's brutal. Then the team flips your city off, and within five years is holding up the Lombardi trophy? And in consolation, you get that shitty piece of shit? That's a sucker punch.

One is getting punched in the dick repeatedly. The other is intentionally crotching yourself on a handrail, then crying when it hurts. One gets sympathy, the other gets a derisive, "Well, what did you think was going to happen, moron?"
                          Last edited by chemiclord; September 28, 2015, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• I just don't buy that argument at all. I'm not saying they've had a great run here, but it just doesn't compare. Most people are stuck with the team in your hometown. I don't drink the Lions kool-aid, but I was born in Detroit, I won't follow another. I am certain that they are the worst to follow. Losing on the Drive or The Fumble was probably heartbreaking, but following the Lions is worse because they suck, they will always suck. I will say the expansion Browns are Millenesque, that team is the Lions with training wheels. If they keep at that pace, in 40 years they will reach the futility.

And if the Lions did move, Detroit would never get another team. As bad as the Browns leaving was, they had a team quickly.

Comment

• Yeah it's pretty hard to beat the Lions in terms of franchise ineptitude.

All I know is they're clearly on the short list of worst professional sports franchises (ever) and you could probably make an argument for them as the worst.

But anyway we're just splitting hairs at that point. Fact of the matter is, it's just a shitty, shitty fucking pathetically laughable joke of a sports franchise.
                              AAL: KhaDarel Hodges

Comment

• I wouldn't cry if the Lions moved to LA.
                                "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

Working...
                                X