Brady Unlimited III: Wolverines in the NFL & NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
    Hanni, to expand a bit more, my thought behind retiring both #1 and #2 is both for practicality and honor.

If Michigan retired both numbers (#1 for Carter, #2 for Woodson) it would end any discussion over "who should get them next". Settle it once and for all. AC was the most memorable #1, and Woodson was the most memorable #2. Done deal.

And, I agree that its tough for teams to retire numbers in these days of 85 scholarships, and 120 players dressed for home games. They are already doubling up many numbers when the team is at home.

But quite frankly, I'm getting tired of Braylon Edwards thinking that he has some sort of important say over who gets #1. He's not the only great player that wore that number. I daresay that Anthony Carter took more hard hits, and pound for pound, was a better receiver, than Edwards ever was. And AC returned punts and kickoffs as well.

While a lot of that is up for debate, until AC wants to put $$$$$$$ up for a scholarship endowment, Braylon has a very important say in the number and much moreso that AC.

Comment

The numbers don't have to be retired but there should be a more visible honoring of these players inside the stadium.
      Atlanta, GA

Comment

until AC wants to put $$$$$$$ up for a scholarship endowment,
        Well, that won't be happening for several reasons. Unfortunately, Anthony Carter fell upon very difficult financial times, due to medical expenses for his son whom I believe, has MS. Carter nearly went bankrupt a few years back, but I believe some alums stepped up and helped him out. Still, he doesn't have access to the kind of money that Braylon has.

I still say AC has earned as much or more right to say what happens to #1 as anyone does.

And Whodean, I agree completely. I hope that there are plans to have some sort of "ring of honor" with former players names on the new suites and press box.
        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

And Whodean, I agree completely. I hope that there are plans to have some sort of "ring of honor" with former players names on the new suites and press box.
          This could have an amazing motivational aspect for the players, imagine Hoke pointing Woodson's name out to Troy Woolfolk on gameday, telling him to play up to the tradition.
          Atlanta, GA

Comment

... or Troy being able to look up at his own dad's name.

Butch Woolfolk wasn't too bad of a player either ... :-)
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

It would be cool if Michigan had some sort of Monument Park, ala the Yankees. Maybe something in the area where most of the students enter (is that the NE corner?).

Comment

Yup, there are better ways to enshrine elite college football players rather than retiring there jersey number.

Comment

Originally posted by *JD* View Post
                  It would be cool if Michigan had some sort of Monument Park, ala the Yankees. Maybe something in the area where most of the students enter (is that the NE corner?).
                  Students are in the NW corner. I really like the idea of a "ring or honor" or a monument park outside the stadium but on the grounds.

Comment

Didn't coach Hoke say recently that the number one will always go to a wr and number two always a db, after smith leaves? I didn't know braylon had a say on who gets the number as long as its a wr.

Comment

Yes, #2 is only for CB's and #1 is only for WR's if how I understood Hoke.

Comment

I'll take that, I don't want them retired.

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FJoRxT6B5g&feature=related"]‪Pure Michigan: Lions Fans‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Heh, when I posted that I was told it was offensive and disgusting

Comment

And so it begins:

Lions lose Leshoure for year with torn ACL.

I have to laugh at all the fans I hear calling into 97.1 and predicting the Lions will make the playoffs this season.

Comment

It's a broken record. Lions fans are the most dillusional of any on the planet.

Comment

Working...
                                X