No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting. I think I still have a TI-99 4A in the attic somewhere. Maybe it is worth something.

Comment

• Had a neighbor who had a Commodore PET computer in his basement years ago. He has since passed on (WW2 vet), but I always wanted to gut that thing and put a modern PC in the case.
      Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Originally posted by dpatnod View Post
        Screw off packie!

Comment

• Originally posted by unknown lions fan View Post
          Can one really build a PC any cheaper than you can buy one these days? I ask that as a serious question, because I don't know.
          Another factor is usage. If you're paying bills, surfing, light gaming, then an off the shelf desktop can be the way to go, but you're also buying the equivalent of a BIC lighter in regard to warranty in that, after the 1st year, the PC is used until it dies then disposed of.

If you're wanting gaming, longer warranty, more powerful power supply for better video card, etc, white box is the way to go for home use most of the time (if you know what you're doing).

I'll always build my own gear but I'm an IT guy.

Comment

• Here ya go Malto

[ame]https://youtu.be/jyreJvig3KA[/ame]
            "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• check out the intel NUC for anyone looking for a lightweight PC. I'm running two.
              Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Different topic - Bluetooth indoor/outdoor speakers. I highly recommend Ultimate Ears (Logitech Brand) Megabooms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Expensive, but have come down in price - worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• So this thread hasn't gotten pretty quiet as of late. Anyways thought I would update you guys on a new piece of electronics I got. A Google Pixel XL.

It's probably everything I have been looking for in a non Apple phone for a long time. It's still Android so longevity tests on performance will be needed (and Deb you were right about my Nexus 6 bogging down eventually. Did better than my past Android devices but still). But using it has been revelation. It's so silky smooth and responsive. I mean more than just a clean new phone responsive, but it just does everything so effortlessly.

For people who don't know the Pixel is the replacement for the Nexus and first Google only branded phone. The biggest change is that it doesn't run unmolested Android. It runs skin that Google developed specifically for this phone and platform. What it means is that Google gave themselves the freedom of really polishing Android for the phone and it shows instantly.

What the Pixel is to me is a sign of an attempt to recreate Apples feeling of a phone that just always works even when it's not (it isn't that the iPhone doesn't have bugs and issues but when and how it acts up makes it seem less iPhone related). It does a great job at that now we will see how that goes in the future.
                    AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Little Windows 10 PC for your TV is only $69 at the Microsoft Store. https://www.microsoftstore.com/store...ByKcVZndpWqQ)()
                      "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by Topweasel View Post
                        So this thread hasn't gotten pretty quiet as of late. Anyways thought I would update you guys on a new piece of electronics I got. A Google Pixel XL.

It's probably everything I have been looking for in a non Apple phone for a long time. It's still Android so longevity tests on performance will be needed (and Deb you were right about my Nexus 6 bogging down eventually. Did better than my past Android devices but still). But using it has been revelation. It's so silky smooth and responsive. I mean more than just a clean new phone responsive, but it just does everything so effortlessly.

For people who don't know the Pixel is the replacement for the Nexus and first Google only branded phone. The biggest change is that it doesn't run unmolested Android. It runs skin that Google developed specifically for this phone and platform. What it means is that Google gave themselves the freedom of really polishing Android for the phone and it shows instantly.

What the Pixel is to me is a sign of an attempt to recreate Apples feeling of a phone that just always works even when it's not (it isn't that the iPhone doesn't have bugs and issues but when and how it acts up makes it seem less iPhone related). It does a great job at that now we will see how that goes in the future.
                        Sounds like a great phone. I've been following it a little at Android Central and they rave about it as well - although they hate the circle icons IIRC lol.

I'm a long way away from an upgrade so I will have to live vicariously through you, Top! What do you think of the camera? That has also gotten great reviews.
                        #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                          Sounds like a great phone. I've been following it a little at Android Central and they rave about it as well - although they hate the circle icons IIRC lol.

I'm a long way away from an upgrade so I will have to live vicariously through you, Top! What do you think of the camera? That has also gotten great reviews.
                          Not a big picture person, but I have taken a couple of pictures and they have come out well. The software stabilization on videos is fantastic. Some people seem to have issues with the lens being easily susceptible to lens flair halo. I think it's the refraction from the glass panel hitting the lens, because I have mine in a black case and I have to point my phone at the sun to get a noticeable flair.

My sister is looking at getting one as well and she loves taking pictures and wants a phone to remove her need to keep her point and shoot around. Once she gets one I'll update you on her response.

It's probably a good thing you are a little away from an upgrade. Getting a year or so to watch how Google handles this considering the premium price can seen as bonus. It's a new way for Google to approach Android and it could go either way. Also it seems Google made the decision late in the development process, so while they had final say in hardware. This first phone could be a compromise in design.
                          AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• I've read some theories that my Verizon Android gets slower with every update, as a ploy to get me to buy a new phone.

I'm somewhat skeptical about it, but at the same time, my S5 has been incredibly slow at taking pictures lately. I'll have to spend the better part of a day figuring out if this is for real or not...but if it is, I'll be rooting this sucker and installing a non-Verizon OS.
                            The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• Following it at "Android Central", Deborah??

Italian fianc? ......., get this lassie married and away on a long honeymoon FFS!
                              "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by UKBB View Post
                                Little Windows 10 PC for your TV is only $69 at the Microsoft Store. https://www.microsoftstore.com/store...ByKcVZndpWqQ)()
                                Sold out.

Comment

Working...
                                X