X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U of M thread (in the Lions Forum) :)

Howard: U-M may struggle

Angelique S. Chengelis / The Detroit News

Desmond Howard, the former Michigan receiver and Heisman Trophy winner who covers college football for ESPN, visited Ann Arbor last Sunday for the Griese/Hutchinson charity golf outing.
    As always, he had plenty to say.
    Angelique Chengelis, Michigan beat writer for The News, caught up with Howard to discuss coach Rich Rodriguez, the coaching search process (Howard was a member of the committee), and what a Michigan Man thinks of a former Michigan player transferring to Ohio State.

Q . Your ESPN colleague Kirk Herbstreit has said Michigan will go 6-6 this year. What do you think of the Wolverines' chances this year?
    A . It's going to be a challenge. I think when you look at the Big Ten, I think that you automatically think Michigan will be better than a .500 team. But when you factor in that there's a new system, that there aren't the athletes that coach Rodriguez would usually have to run this system, then that may be what people are looking at to say, 'OK, it may be a 7-5 or 6-6 season.' I think that's what they're looking at when they say that. I don't know Coach's history, but I think this is probably one of his biggest challenges as a head coach simply because this is the biggest stage he's been on. ...
    He's trying to build a house with someone else's materials right now. So, I'm just real interested what that product is going to be like in September.

Q . What did you think of the hire?
    A . I think I was on record for (LSU's) Les Miles simply because, first of all, I never wanted people to think just because he coached here, he went here, that's why I was on record. I was on record because I cover college football for a living, and I knew he was the most qualified person for that job that I had seen. Les Miles ... can coach his (butt) off. He has a winning record. He was a winner at Oklahoma State, he coached as an assistant in the pros, and you've seen what he's done for LSU.
    Rich Rodriguez, I do think, is a very good coach, and I do think he has a tremendous challenge ahead of him. I've had a chance to sit down with Rich, and he's very likable as a person. Very likable.
    It was a raggedy (search) process, and it took turns that it never should have taken, starting with the report that Herbstreit gave, but we are where we are now with it and hopefully it works out.

Q . What was your take on the Herbstreit's report when he said Miles-to-Michigan was a done deal?
    A . I was in Hawaii doing ESPN, so I had no knowledge of anything. I put the (earpiece) in my ear, and I'm hearing Herbstreit break this news, and I'm thinking, 'You know, things happen overnight, maybe it did.' He's a seemingly intelligent guy, so if he's going to say it, I don't think he's going to go out there and blurt it out. He must have believed what he said. Whether it was true or false, there's no doubt in my mind that Herbstreit believed what he was saying on TV.
    Now, should he have dug deeper, should ESPN have dug deeper? Of course. They have a Michigan guy on their crew and they knew how to get in contact with me, but no one ever called me.
    It put Les in a bad position. That was wrong on so many levels. As a former player, unless I spoke to that coach and he told me it was cool, I would never have done that because he was still coaching a team that's about to play in a (SEC) championship game. ... His team, the first thing they saw when they woke up was that report. It was not fair to him and not fair to the players. ... And no one from this side of the story (at Michigan), as far as I know, came out and refuted it. The only one who said something was Les Miles that day.

Q . When a former player like yourself sees a player (Justin Boren), who had harsh comments about the new staff, transfer to Ohio State, what do you think?
    A . At first, I was like, 'Wow, he's talking about family values.' And sometimes you use key words, and I read that, and I was like, 'Damn, this thing is just blowing up.' So I came up here (to Michigan) and I watched them practice. I was in the weight room working out, and two players started talking to me, and in general conversation they said, 'This guy, Desmond, was a complainer. He complained about workouts, he complained about practices.' And this is what they told me: 'Really, we're better without him.' I said, 'Wow, that's a different side of the story I hadn't even thought of.' I knew they were training in a way they've never trained before.
    So then he went to Ohio State, and I was like, 'Well, how loyal can this guy be? All the colleges available to him, and he goes to Ohio State?' I talked to Rich, and Rich told me he talked to him, and Rich said (Boren) never was really happy no matter what they did. And Rich said, 'Desmond, I've got to do things my way.'
    I tell people all the time, this is college football. It's not tennis, it's not golf. At the end of the day, Rich is going to do things his way. He's going to separate the people who can take it from the people who can't take it.
    I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Howard was a Miles slappy who was very disappointed Michigan didn't get him. However, he probably will be right about RR's first year. ESPN needs to can this guy, he is unbearable to watch.
    I am the lizard king - I can do anything

Comment

coach barwis is sick. if you want to get to a level physically that you never thought you would be able to get to, then do what he asks you and shut your fat mouth. justin boren will never make it any where he goes cause he doesnt have the heart. so get ready for your eating competion career you fat lazy judas
      sigpic

Comment

Honestly, Howard sounds very open to Rodriguez's view... for example he acknowledges there was a side to the Boren story that he really didn't think about until he talked to the players still there.

Comment

Boren left so early in the process, how could he possibly get a good read on RR's values. I now tend to believe that Boren's attitude had more to do with the whole thing, rather than a collapes of all that is right with UM.
          ------------
          <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

damn i wish we'd have gotten Les Miles... Mallet wouldve been a damn fine QB here.
            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Michigan State is working on playing Western Michigan at Ford field in 2009. This most likely will be my first visit to Ford Field. Mark Dantonios idea would be to help get local recruiting edge over Michigan playing in Detroit. Anything will help.

Comment

You never went to see Bret Almighty when he was playing the Lions"

GO LIONS"08" !!!!!!!!
                GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

Not at Ford Field I did at the Silverdome

Comment

Originally posted by L-kxng View Post
                    Michigan State is working on playing Western Michigan at Ford field in 2009. This most likely will be my first visit to Ford Field. Mark Dantonios idea would be to help get local recruiting edge over Michigan playing in Detroit. Anything will help.
                    Article I read said Michigan State already has the edge by default. The state of Michigan doesn't have the players Rodriguez wants; he's focusing on Florida.
                    I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

Rivals.com released their first team rankings of the 2009 recruiting classes.

Ohio State #1 nationally.

Michigan is doing very well at #4

Michigan State is doing outstanding at #10, a huge jump from the No. #47 last season.

Comment

Article I read said Michigan State already has the edge by default. The state of Michigan doesn't have the players Rodriguez wants; he's focusing on Florida.
                        Yes, RR is targeting FL and that SEC type speed

Comment

Is this guy in the mix next year?

Michigan tailback Grady charged

Wolverine faces court date next Wednesday after being arrested for DUI in Kent County.

Detroit News staff and wire reports

Michigan tailback Kevin Grady faces a hearing July 9 in Wyoming, Mich., District Court on charges he was driving while intoxicated.

Grady was arrested early Wednesday morning in Wyoming, near his Grand Rapids home, and was taken to the Kent County Jail. He was released on a $5,000 personal bond.

Grady, 5-foot-9, 228-pounds, sat out last season after suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

U-M coach Rich Rodriguez said in a statement that the matter will be handled internally.
                          Football

The Big Ten conference announced starting times for all non-conference games involving its teams through Sept. 20, the fourth week of the college football season.

Michigan will open its season at home against Utah on ABC at 3:30 p.m. Aug. 30. It will then host Miami (Ohio) at noon Sept. 6 on ESPN or ESPN2, and play at Notre Dame at 3:30 p.m. on Sept. 13 on NBC.

Michigan State will host Eastern Michigan at noon Sept. 6 on the Big Ten Network, host Florida Atlantic at noon Sept. 13 on ESPN or ESPN2, and host Notre Dame at 3:30 p.m. Sept. 20 on ABC.

Also, Central Michigan will play at Purdue at noon Sept. 20 on the Big Ten network.

Comment

Grady is the state of Michigan's all-time leading high school rusher, his Michigan career has not live up to his HS days. Anything from him this year would have been a plus for M. Grady rushed for 483 yards as a freshman in 2005 but only 187 yards 2006. He missed the 2007 season after tearing his ACL in spring practice. He would/ or could have been a backup to Carlos Brown this year.

Comment

3 yards and a cloud of fumbles.
                              To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

Working...
                              X