Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Game - osu @ M, 11/28/15, Noon, ABC National.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Game - osu @ M, 11/28/15, Noon, ABC National.

Its speculated that the betting line on osu will open at -2.5 to -3 this afternoon. Last week, M was any where from a 6 to a 3.5 point dog v. osu based on Advanced Stats.

Also M had a 36% chance of going 10-2 after IU. I think that's going to go up a tad after PSU and osu's oss to MSU.

It's anyone's guess what kind of team ufm will bring to AA next Saturday. I can't imagine that all the turmoil is going to be settled. When Alabama got blasted by osu last season in the CFP, Saban remarked during the summer that player effort wasn't there in that loss. I don't know how many players on that team went to the NFL but ufm is facing the same kind of undercurrents with his 2015 bucs for this upcoming game ...... urbz is going to be battling the, "don't let a team beat you twice" issue.

Just an observation on ezi's leg infection: I'd speculate he had a soft tissue infection involving Methicillin Resistant Staph aureus (MRSA). If oral antibiotics aren't doing the trick, it's not at all uncommon for an athlete to receive a dose of IV (Intravenous) antibiotics (Vancomycin). Outpatient facilities generally don't do this and you have to go to a facility equipped to do it, usually a hospital.

I'd not doubt that meyer was acting on the team MD's advice to limit his playing time IVO the infection. That's the kind of decision involved in not making an injury worse by playing. Have to respect that and I'm not going to blame ezi for being upset post game. He wanted to play, no doubt, but wasn't the best guy to make that decision.
    There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

If oral antibiotics aren't doing the trick, it's not at all uncommon for an athlete to receive a dose of IV (Intravenous) antibiotics (Vancomycin).
    When I had my gallbladder surgery in 2008, my doctor said I had a very serious infection along with it. They used Flagyl on me intravenously for about a week. He called it the "big dog" in antibiotics... :-)

Back to football though ...

I'd rate this game at about a "pick-em" right now. There's so much drama going around on both sides, its hard to say how it will affect their play. Both head coaches are going to have to get the players to focus on the task at hand.

I'm having a hard time seeing Michigan overcoming the dual running threat of Zeke and Barrett. I'm thinking Urbz may throw Zeke a bone, and give him the "more carries" he wants.

Its going to be interesting to see how all this pans out.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Elliot had a staph infection, so that's probably exactly what happened.

The issue against MSU wasn't Elliot carries or lack thereof. He wasn't going to do much with 9 guys running downhill at him. The issue was a gameplan that made Tresselball look like Baylor. Last season they played 5 of the top 11 defenses in the country (by yardage) and averages something like 42 points and 450 yards a game against them. Devin Smith and Darryl Baldwin were good players, but their loss don't justify the drop off. Things will get fixed, but not prior to Saturday.

Against M, I don't see how OSU does anything. The OL is severely weakened because Farris is total shit. They don't trust him on running plays and they totally game plan to avoid his pass blocking awfulness. The offensive staff has seemingly forgot that you can throw the ball more than 6 yards and that the middle of the field occasionally bears fruit.

M will dare OSU to throw the ball with Lewis locking on to Thomas. That should limit OSU to roughly 6 points. They may get into the red zone twice, but M wins the red zone.

On the other side, M probably won't run the ball that well. Even MSU didn't run the ball THAT well. I mean, 201 yards on 53 carries. OSU was susceptible to getting outnumbered to the boundary against MSU (on the coaches) and the ridiculous speed option that MSU ran for what had to be the first time ever under Dantonio. I don't see that wrinkle with Ruddock. However, Ruddock throws the ball much better. OSU's has good pass defense but they will give up a couple big plays -- yesterday none was bigger than allowing the 35 yard pass to Burbridge on 3rd and 15 that resulted in their first TD.

And when M gets in the red zone, it'll be TDs, not FGs. So, in a year that nearly parallels Hoke's first season it's fitting that this is the first time since then that I've been sure OSU will lose this game. I'll say 28-6.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

This one is really going to depend a lot on OSU's mood this week and if they can quell the rumblings and focus on football. If they can't and the backbiting continues, M could cruise to a surprisingly easy victory.

However, I expect instead Urbz will rally the crew and this will be a hard fought back and forth game. M is going to have problems with JT's running ability. I'm hoping the defense we saw last week shows up again in force and slams the door when osu gets into the red zone.

Comment

Well, I can see that we're in for record-setting sandbaggery this week ...

Things aren't as bad as they seem for ohio right now. Urbz has had player discontent issues to deal with before, and he'll certainly overcome this spat. Nothing could cure whatever ails their little buckeye minds today, more than a win over 'that team up north', next Saturday. They'll refocus, .. and Michigan will see their best effort next week.

Comment

The player discontent is nothing. The offense is something. A very big something.

I'm not sandbagging. I could see it being 21-13 if things go well, but I'm saying 28-6. Ohio State's defense will have to play out of their minds.

Comment

Originally posted by iam416 View Post
              .......OSU was susceptible to getting outnumbered to the boundary against MSU (on the coaches) and the ridiculous speed option that MSU ran for what had to be the first time ever under Dantonio.
              This.

osu is still going to have to deal with Harbaugh's screen game and the multiple plays where Peppers or Chesson do that Magician thing getting numbers in the part of the field where MSU did that with the speed option. Maybe a little slower developing but M is executing that play pretty well right now.

.......And when M gets in the red zone, it'll be TDs, not FGs. So, in a year that nearly parallels Hoke's first season it's fitting that this is the first time since then that I've been sure OSU will lose this game. I'll say 28-6.
              First off, your talking from you emotions right now no matter what you say to the contrary.

Second, this season, IMO, does not in any way parallel Hoke's first season. That's an insult to Harbaugh (OK if that's part of this week's smack). The reality is that M's D is light years better this season than in Hokes's first season. As well, this is a highly innovative WCO that flexes to the skill level of the players on offense. Borges had NO CLUE and his offense was simply an incoherent mess from start to finish. To me, Hoke's 11-2 season was just dumb luck. Harbaugh's 9-2, so far, is brilliant.

Finally, jtb is WAY better than you are giving him credit for. He's going to move the offense and while M might stop osu in the red zone, osu is going to get some big plays from outside of it that will produce TDs.

I will give you that after HARBAUGH!!! developed a game plan that pretty much sliced and diced a good PSU D, essentially mitigating the best parts of it (pass rush and DBs), he'll come up with something equally as good v. osu.

The thing that has just surprised the hell out of me is Rudock. For tree games now, enough to prove it's no fluke, he is playing the best football of his career. That has allowed Harbaugh to get really creative and turn a traditional power football offense into a really efficient, pass oriented, Pro-Style, WCO that still has enough power for that to be a threat both inside and outside the RZ. I'm not sure osu's pass rush is miles better than PSU's but if it isn't, Rudock is going to beat osu with is arm and a month ago I would have said, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

One other thing. I've not heard anything about Jehu Chesson. He got a bruised sternum early v. PSU and returned. Later, he left the game after falling on what looked like his elbow. I'd not be surprised if that was not a serious injury. He may not play or if he does, its' going to be in a limited way. That is a big deal.
              There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

Seems your more optimistic about M's offense than I, and I'm way more optimistic about M's defense than you.

Comment

Seems your more optimistic about M's offense than.
                  Well, you like fact based positions. Here are my facts.

In the last three games M's offense has produced 1417 yards.

Here's the breakdown (total yards [Rudock y/ypa]):

Rutgers: 487 (337/18.7)

Indiana: 587 (440/11.0)

PSU: 343 (256/10.5)

Michigan's offense with Rudock's new found Brady arm is pretty good.

Comment

Yeah, I don't care about Rutgers or IU.

Comment

That's understandable ....... v. PSU Rudock had a very good ypa of 10.5. I think the ypa is a good indicator of his massive improvement under Harbaugh's tutelage. It's helped that he and his receivers seem to have gotten on the same page. They got open against PSU's pass defenders (what, something like #3 by stats?).

Far and away the best part of M's pass offense is that it is varied. MSU, for example, has Cook to Burbridge. M has a league leading TE in Jake Butt, a possession receiver in Amarah Darbo and a deep threat in Jehu Chesson. What's not to impress about that?

Your analysis of a team's strengths and weaknesses is usually very good. I think your ignoring the biggest threat to osu's defense albeit unexpected based on the first 2/3 of M's season.

Not only that but while PSU did manage to get to Rudock a couple of times, the pass-pro overall was pretty good (will await to anoint it as good until the UFR but you get the point) and that was against a notoriously good PSU front 4 v. a just OK M OL.

Comment

Later, he left the game after falling on what looked like his elbow. I'd not be surprised if that was not a serious injury. He may not play or if he does, its' going to be in a limited way.
                        I think this was when Chesson left the game after falling on the ball, and having the wind knocked out of him. He returned to the game about 2 plays later. He's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                          I think this was when Chesson left the game after falling on the ball, and having the wind knocked out of him. He returned to the game about 2 plays later. He's fine.
                          No, he left the game twice. Once when falling on the ball and later in the game when he tried to make a catch and went down on his elbow in the process. He left the field holding that arm. It was either a blow to the elbow (which I'm betting on) or a shoulder injury.

But, I hope you're right that he is fine. He is HUGE part of the offense.

Comment

yes, am worried about Chesson injury ....a huge blow for a team with few playmakers

Comment

No mention has been made of a Chesson injury.

I'd say its going to have to be a very serious injury to keep him out of the game on Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                              X