DetroitLionsForum.com
Want to assist with forum hosting and upgrade costs?  Click here to make a PayPal donation:
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:


Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > Detroit Lions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 22nd, 2018, 03:13 PM   #3641
Futureshock
Senior Member
 
Futureshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bedrock
Posts: 8,579
In a weird way I hope not. Gores has shown a propensity to do the wrong things and hire the wrong people. May be bad for Mr Big Shot.
__________________
Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.
Futureshock is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 22nd, 2018, 03:23 PM   #3642
jaadam4
Senior Member
 
jaadam4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Africa!!
Posts: 27,348
I don't necessarily think SVG was the wrong choice for the HC when he was first hired but making him the GM and the HC was a terrible idea.

On top of that he basically told "Build a f*ckin wall" that he wanted to win now and didn't want to rebuild. SVG tried to do that and I don't think he ever got the chance to slow build the Pistons after Dumars f'ed up with Ben Gordon, Mr. No Hair and Josh Smith.

SVG walked into a shit storm.
__________________
F#*K OHIO!!!
jaadam4 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 22nd, 2018, 08:54 PM   #3643
fontes91
Senior Member
 
fontes91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 2,067
Stan overturned the roster but I'm not sure he had a clear plan. Even if all stay healthy they won't compete with Boston or Philly. They might have a few 45-52 win seasons but eventually they'll have to start over. Depending on where Lebron goes I'm not sure it matters. GSW are just too damn good.
fontes91 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 23rd, 2018, 06:18 AM   #3644
jaadam4
Senior Member
 
jaadam4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Africa!!
Posts: 27,348
I 100% agree that SVG looked like he was lacking a plan but look at the facts. He was dealing with a roster that looked like the island of misfit toys.

We had to trade away a first rounder to get rid of the Ben Gordon contract and he was stuck with Brandon Knight, Andre Drummond and an expiring contract in Greg Monroe and Josh Smiths ludicrous contract.

So basically he started off with no prime assets for a major trade, a bad salary cap situation and no 1st round draft pick to start his tenure. Now couple that with a new owner telling him he doesn’t want to blow things up and start over that he must win now.

It was impossible. Yeah his draft picks were questionable but SVG wasn’t going to win here unless he could blow the whole mf’er up. His draft picks were a product of trying to win with what he had and supplement with draft picks.
__________________
F#*K OHIO!!!

Last edited by jaadam4; May 23rd, 2018 at 06:20 AM.
jaadam4 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 23rd, 2018, 07:28 AM   #3645
Futureshock
Senior Member
 
Futureshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bedrock
Posts: 8,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaadam4 View Post
I 100% agree that SVG looked like he was lacking a plan but look at the facts. He was dealing with a roster that looked like the island of misfit toys.

We had to trade away a first rounder to get rid of the Ben Gordon contract and he was stuck with Brandon Knight, Andre Drummond and an expiring contract in Greg Monroe and Josh Smiths ludicrous contract.

So basically he started off with no prime assets for a major trade, a bad salary cap situation and no 1st round draft pick to start his tenure. Now couple that with a new owner telling him he doesn’t want to blow things up and start over that he must win now.

It was impossible. Yeah his draft picks were questionable but SVG wasn’t going to win here unless he could blow the whole mf’er up. His draft picks were a product of trying to win with what he had and supplement with draft picks.
Well, if we're going to just throw our 1st rd picks away then you have a point.

Stan was absolutely horrible drafting. Reggie Jackson, Mitchell, Booker' Drummond and a brown paper bag could make the playoffs in the east.

Your excuses for him don't jive with where that team should be vs who they are now. It is truly sad.

BTW, Dumars took over the team in about the same situation and flipped it into a championship. I like Stan, I just don't like him as the Pistons' GM.
__________________
Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.
Futureshock is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 23rd, 2018, 07:50 AM   #3646
Cody_Russell
Senior Member
 
Cody_Russell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11,951
and that’s part of what makes the NBA one of the worst major sports (NFL, MLB, NBA, College Basketball/ Football).
What’s the purpose when only a few teams each year have a shot at winning a title. 95% of the time, very predictable. When I say few teams, maybe two or three max.
Same could be said about college football, I guess. It’s to a lesser extent. There are maybe half a dozen title contenders.
__________________
Go Detroit Lions!

Last edited by Cody_Russell; May 23rd, 2018 at 07:54 AM.
Cody_Russell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 23rd, 2018, 08:00 AM   #3647
chemiclord
Senior Member
 
chemiclord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 30,410
It always kinda struck me that SVG was drafting players that had specific "NBA ready" skill sets that could contribute right away, rather than better players that might not be able to hit the ground running.

It was a stupid as fuck approach, but consistent with Gores's mandate that they were going to fight for the 8-seed come hell or high water.
__________________
Sent by my LG-H900 nobody fucking cares using fuck off Tapatalk
chemiclord is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 23rd, 2018, 02:58 PM   #3648
jaadam4
Senior Member
 
jaadam4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Africa!!
Posts: 27,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemiclord View Post

It was a stupid as fuck approach, but consistent with Gores's mandate that they were going to fight for the 8-seed come hell or high water.
Exactly.

Take Booker for example. In hindsight yes he was the smart pick there but SVG at the time is trying to fill the biggest need on the team which is SF and it wasn't even close. On top of that the Pistons had just drafted KCP 2 years prior to that. Even if they don't pick SJ the pick is Justise Winslow.

The Kennard pick was dumb as f*ck in hindsight but such is life. SVG's offense has always relied heavily on the 3ball and he never ever had that in Detroit. Kennard was the most NBA ready 3 point shooter in the draft.

Other than who did he miss on? Henry Ellenson? There wasn't anyone drafted after Ellenson thats been a boss.
__________________
F#*K OHIO!!!
jaadam4 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 23rd, 2018, 09:54 PM   #3649
Whitley
Senior Member
 
Whitley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5,748
The one thing SVG did do is get a lot more talent here. I am intrigued to see what a new coach is going to do with it. At least now there are things to build around.

I would love to see what the trio of Jackson/Blake and Andre can do...healthy and having an offseason to work together. Bullock seems like a solid starting option.
__________________
2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR
Whitley is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 23rd, 2018, 10:29 PM   #3650
froot loops
Senior Member
 
froot loops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: I'm great
Posts: 32,317
He left them in a worse position than he found them, they may have more talent but they have no draft picks or flexibility. He was a total failure. There is no means to build around the current players. The next coach will have to make due with less. If they had 20 million to play with or some draft picks to use you might have a point.
froot loops is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 23rd, 2018, 10:42 PM   #3651
Cody_Russell
Senior Member
 
Cody_Russell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
I would love to see what the trio of Jackson/Blake and Andre can do...healthy and having an offseason to work together.
These three players are not good at shooting 3s. If you can’t do that in today’s NBA... big disadvantage.
__________________
Go Detroit Lions!
Cody_Russell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 24th, 2018, 12:54 AM   #3652
jaadam4
Senior Member
 
jaadam4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Africa!!
Posts: 27,348
But hey.. we have Stanley Johnson, Ellenson and Kennard. We should be set with reinforcements
__________________
F#*K OHIO!!!
jaadam4 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 24th, 2018, 10:50 AM   #3653
Futureshock
Senior Member
 
Futureshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bedrock
Posts: 8,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaadam4 View Post
Exactly.

Take Booker for example. In hindsight yes he was the smart pick there but SVG at the time is trying to fill the biggest need on the team which is SF and it wasn't even close. On top of that the Pistons had just drafted KCP 2 years prior to that. Even if they don't pick SJ the pick is Justise Winslow.

The Kennard pick was dumb as f*ck in hindsight but such is life. SVG's offense has always relied heavily on the 3ball and he never ever had that in Detroit. Kennard was the most NBA ready 3 point shooter in the draft.

Other than who did he miss on? Henry Ellenson? There wasn't anyone drafted after Ellenson thats been a boss.
Ummmm, how about this Flint guy?


Not gonna kill him for it because every team passed on him at least once.

But I tell you what, it makes me appreciate the job Quinn and his scouts do. Although I know it's a different sport, he finds talent and has his own value system. If he were in the NBA, this is the kind of kid I think he would find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
The one thing SVG did do is get a lot more talent here. I am intrigued to see what a new coach is going to do with it. At least now there are things to build around.

I would love to see what the trio of Jackson/Blake and Andre can do...healthy and having an offseason to work together. Bullock seems like a solid starting option.
Did you not see the NBA allstar weekend? It was a veritable who's who of ex-Piston players and players he could have drafted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froot loops View Post
He left them in a worse position than he found them, they may have more talent but they have no draft picks or flexibility. He was a total failure. There is no means to build around the current players. The next coach will have to make due with less. If they had 20 million to play with or some draft picks to use you might have a point.
__________________
Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.
Futureshock is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 24th, 2018, 10:57 AM   #3654
Futureshock
Senior Member
 
Futureshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bedrock
Posts: 8,579
https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...oaching-Target

Dwane Casey Emerges As Pistons' Top Coaching Target
__________________
Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.
Futureshock is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 24th, 2018, 11:01 AM   #3655
Futureshock
Senior Member
 
Futureshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bedrock
Posts: 8,579
https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...e-Front-Office

Pistons Hire Ed Stefanski To Oversee Front Office
__________________
Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.
Futureshock is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 24th, 2018, 11:02 AM   #3656
Frank Van Dusen
2018 Forum Upgrade Donor
 
Frank Van Dusen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: I live vicariously through myself
Posts: 14,590
Rumors are that the Magic are interested in Izzo
__________________
The Detroit Lions... where eleven men on the field is merely a suggestion.
Frank Van Dusen is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 24th, 2018, 12:15 PM   #3657
jaadam4
Senior Member
 
jaadam4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Africa!!
Posts: 27,348
They can be interested all they want. I highly doubt he makes the jump to the NBA. He looks like he's going to have a heart attack every time I see him on TV
__________________
F#*K OHIO!!!
jaadam4 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 24th, 2018, 02:34 PM   #3658
Whitley
Senior Member
 
Whitley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody_Russell View Post
These three players are not good at shooting 3s. If you cant do that in todays NBA... big disadvantage.
You also have Bullock who is good from deep (.464 as a starter), Kennard can hit from the deep too. Galloway is another deep threat (.344 this year is tied for career low.... .361 for his career). Griffin is okay not great (slightly below average percentage wise).
__________________
2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR
Whitley is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 24th, 2018, 06:14 PM   #3659
chemiclord
Senior Member
 
chemiclord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 30,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaadam4 View Post
They can be interested all they want. I highly doubt he makes the jump to the NBA. He looks like he's going to have a heart attack every time I see him on TV
I dunno, depending on how much heat he starts getting for MSU basketball's own transgressions regarding women and assault, he might decide it's time to get while the gettin's good.
__________________
Sent by my LG-H900 nobody fucking cares using fuck off Tapatalk
chemiclord is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest DetroitLionsForum.com.
This site is a non-profit fan site and IS NOT affiliated with the NFL or Detroit Lions or any other sports team. Please visit the official site of the Detroit Lions for official information on the Lions.