DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > Detroit Lions

Old May 19th, 2017, 06:24 PM   #4921
Mainevent

Yeah, but Sherman's 6'3". You can be a bit mor forgiving when you have that type of physical presence.

If he's a low 4.6 guy instead of a 4.7 guy it should be fine.
Mainevent is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 19th, 2017, 07:26 PM   #4922
LionsFanInJapan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody_Russell View Post
Future Lions favorite, if not already:

Tabor on personal motivation - YouTube
Thanks for the link, Cody. I subscribed to that youtube channel since the Lions never post stuff on there.
Old May 20th, 2017, 08:08 PM   #4923
Panoptes

Calvin Johnson didn’t like how the Lions treated him when he retired

Michael David Smith
ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports•May 20, 2017, 2:12 PM

One of the greatest players in Lions franchise history doesn’t feel great about the franchise now.

Calvin Johnson, the wide receiver who retired a year ago, said today that he’s not thinking about having his number retired and isn’t thinking much about the Lions at all these days.

“I don’t even like to talk Lions too much just because the way our relationship ended,” Johnson told the Detroit Free Press. “If they see me around here, we’ll see. But hey, I don’t know. I just didn’t feel like I was treated the way I should have been treated on the way out. That’s all. I mean, it’s all good. I’m not tripping. I don’t feel any kind of way, just hey, that’s what they did. Hey, it is what is.”

Asked to elaborate on how he was mistreated, Johnson declined.

“I mean, it’s simple,” he said. “It’s simple. It’s easy when you think about it.”

Johnson may be referring to the Lions’ decision to force Johnson to re-pay part of his signing bonus when he retired with a year left on his contract. When a player retires with time left on his contract, teams are allowed to require him to pay back a prorated portion of his signing bonus. But teams sometimes waive that right as a gesture of goodwill toward a valued member of the franchise. Johnson may have felt slighted when the Lions told him he had to pay up.

Last edited by Panoptes; May 23rd, 2017 at 12:20 AM.
Panoptes is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 20th, 2017, 08:13 PM   #4924
dpatnod

Fucking Stafford!
Old May 20th, 2017, 08:30 PM   #4925
maxw3ll

LOL at the Stafford.

Super interesting coming from CJ. That is the ONLY negative thing I heard from his camp over his career. NFL is a business and he walked away on his terms early.

Det made him rich and would have paid him 24 million to play another year. I wish I knew what Detroit did to their only star that bothered him so much.
Old May 20th, 2017, 08:34 PM   #4926
Cody_Russell

Who cares about Megatron.
He never won a playoff game and always got curb-stomped in Transformers movies by Shia LaBeouf.
Old May 20th, 2017, 10:38 PM   #4927
dpatnod

Yep, and his pass rush and linebacker play sucked. Zero tackles for loss.
Old May 21st, 2017, 02:03 AM   #4928
FanFromCali

It is extremely disappointing to read these comments by C.J. who is otherwise a class act. It is completely unreasonable for him to launch an accusation against the Lions of unfair treatment while being completely vague regarding what that treatment specifically was. (His ambiguousness certainly was not to protect his former employer as if that was the case he would not have mentioned it in the first place.)

His comments come off as being petty and immature, which are not traits you historically assign to C.J. Because of that I'm going to consider this a momentary lapse of character and I will still hold him in high regard despite this misstep.

AAL: A'Shawn Robinson
FanFromCali is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 21st, 2017, 02:13 AM   #4929
dpatnod

I disagree. I think the reporter was trying to make a big thing out of something CJ said that was nothing, a reporter wanting a scoop. Sort of a comment on what we all knew.... The Fords are assholes, whatever.

CJ being real, maybe too late in using his filter, and being a real dude in a conversation - cuz it is all behind him and he doesn't give a shit.

CJ is a class act.

BTW, so was Barry.

Last edited by dpatnod; May 21st, 2017 at 02:18 AM.
dpatnod is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 21st, 2017, 02:19 AM   #4930
jaadam4

I hope the Lions follow up on this. Regardless of what he feels slighted on he obviously does. The Lions need to continue to develop a different culture and having all time greats not wanting to be around the organization isn't fantastic.
Old May 21st, 2017, 02:23 AM   #4931
dpatnod

And of course this matters to the Fords because........ ?????

Last edited by dpatnod; May 21st, 2017 at 02:25 AM.
dpatnod is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 21st, 2017, 03:50 AM   #4932
Marko69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoptes View Post
I don’t even like to talk Lions too much just because the way our relationship ended,” Johnson told the Detroit Free Press. “If they see me around here, we’ll see. But hey, I don’t know. I just didn’t feel like I was treated the way I should have been treated on the way out. That’s all. I mean, it’s all good. I’m not tripping. I don’t feel any kind of way, just hey, that’s what they did. Hey, it is what is.”
None of that can be true. Quote; "The way I should've been treated..." ? He was offered 24 million Fucking dollars for one year. He was treated with masses of respect.

And if he said the sentence in bold, then he can get the fuck out of Detroit. Personally I'd rather the Lions sucked until WW3 than have people saying sentences like that. "I'm not tripping?" Fk off. "Hey, it is what it is." Double fk off.

Not believing any of it.
Old May 21st, 2017, 05:07 AM   #4933
chemiclord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko69 View Post
None of that can be true. Quote; "The way I should've been treated..." ? He was offered 24 million Fucking dollars for one year. He was treated with masses of respect.

And if he said the sentence in bold, then he can get the fuck out of Detroit. Personally I'd rather the Lions sucked until WW3 than have people saying sentences like that. "I'm not tripping?" Fk off. "Hey, it is what it is." Double fk off.

Not believing any of it.
Knowing how much of fantastic shitlords the Ford family CAN be... I am inclined to believe they did something that torqued CJ after he had decided that he was going to retire. Probably something that at the end of the day really meant nothing, but was still extremely rude and disrespectful.
Old May 21st, 2017, 06:22 AM   #4934
Marko69

Well if the Fords actually did something to annoy CJ, then I'm sure that could work its way onto the online newspapers some day. But if it was something they said?...... then, YOU KNOW, they can shut their fucking bitch ass mouths!
Old May 21st, 2017, 07:27 AM   #4935
chemiclord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko69 View Post
Well if the Fords actually did something to annoy CJ, then I'm sure that could work its way onto the online newspapers some day. But if it was something they said?...... then, YOU KNOW, they can shut their fucking bitch ass mouths!
The entire debacle with Barry took years to fully flesh out exactly what happened, and even then there's still a lot of unsaid detail. Considering CJ is about as reserved as Barry was... we might be waiting just as long to get any sort of information.
Old May 21st, 2017, 08:29 AM   #4936
dwt1

It's never been fleshed out, it's a lot of peoples opinion.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have"
dwt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old May 21st, 2017, 10:26 AM   #4937
FanFromCali

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatnod View Post
I disagree. I think the reporter was trying to make a big thing out of something CJ said that was nothing, a reporter wanting a scoop. Sort of a comment on what we all knew.... The Fords are assholes, whatever.

CJ being real, maybe too late in using his filter, and being a real dude in a conversation - cuz it is all behind him and he doesn't give a shit.

CJ is a class act.

BTW, so was Barry.
Man, I don't know. I want to agree with you because I really like C.J. (and as I said before, this isn't going to change that), but I'm not seeing your interpretation at all.

Although I was not there and can't say how exactly the interview went down, it sounds like Calvin was asked about whether or not having his number retired was important to him and then it was him that brought up all this other stuff. I'm not sure how that's the reporter manufacturing anything.

Also, despite what you think of ownership C.J. attacked them and you classify it as "being real" while classifying whatever they said to him as being "assholes" whom, by extension, are in the wrong. Is that really fair? I mean, if ownership had said something about him screwing them and breaking his contract by expecting to be paid money he hasn't earned I'm pretty sure people would be throwing ownership under the bus, and rightfully so.

Old May 21st, 2017, 02:42 PM   #4938
dpatnod

I think the organization did not want to accept his retirement. I mean it seemed pretty definite, but the Lions acted like they were 'waiting to see' for months. I think he told them, and they were sort of like..... 'Well, think it over and get back to us in the spring.'

I don't think they wanted to accept it. He probably would have preferred them accepting his decision, and told him they respect him doing what is best for him and support him in his decision for what is best for him and his family. I think instead they may have tried to convince him to play another season or two.

Just speculation for sure, but that is kind of how it seemed to me at the time. Maybe that irked him. Whatever the case, I thank him for the memories, and hold no ill will towards him.
Old May 21st, 2017, 07:04 PM   #4939
FanFromCali

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatnod View Post
Just speculation for sure, but that is kind of how it seemed to me at the time. Maybe that irked him. Whatever the case, I thank him for the memories, and hold no ill will towards him.
I agree and do hope him and the organization are able to reconcile.

Old May 21st, 2017, 09:57 PM   #4940
unknown lions fan

yawn
unknown lions fan is offline   Reply With Quote Top