No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not absolutely sure. There is some talk on line of Iphones dropping wifi when in sleep mode, but my wife has an Iphone 5s (earlier model) and it doesn't suck data like my daughter's-and yes, I've considered that it is just my daughter using a shitload of data, but I don't think that is the case
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• For now, I'm going to have her turn off the data and only turn it on when she has to, but that is giant pain in the ass.
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Your bill should show you when data is being used.

One thing I can suggest is going to settings> General> reset> reset network settings
        Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
          I think the phone is a piece of shit. We don't have that problem on our Android devices.

I would get a different phone and get rid of the damn thing, but she likes the Iphone...
          From what I've read it is a common problem with the iPhone 5c. Haven't been able to find a good solution to the problem.

I don't have an issue with my android.

Comment

• Otherwise, you can always take it into an Apple store to see if they can help
            Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Originally posted by whodean View Post
              Your bill should show you when data is being used.

One thing I can suggest is going to settings> General> reset> reset network settings
              Yeah, it does, but it shows it in three hr increments. It seems to be all over the place. Sometimes big numbers at night, other times big numbers during the day. I thought maybe it was doing backups to the cloud so we turned that off, but it didn't help. Thought maybe it was connecting to her MacBook and doing the same, but I don't think that is the case.

I will try what you suggested and see what happen.

Do you know anything about the My Data Manager app? Wondering if it shows what apps my be using the data or if it just shows what data has been used

Comment

• I'd have to drive to Atlanta for the nearest Apple Store...

Comment

• Same problem here CVGT. My son is eating up the data plan because the iPhone is dreadful at using wifi over cellular data. Just awful. I stream stuff on my Android and I barely get to 2 gb because the Droid OS is much better at smart selecting.

Comment

• Found the answer to my question
                    Why does some versions of My Data Manager have per app usage and others don’t?
                    iOS 6 and previous versions of My Data Manager support per app usage. Once a device has been updated to iOS 7 or later the per app usage is not supported by My Data Manager due to background reporting changes in iOS 7.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                      Same problem here CVGT. My son is eating up the data plan because the iPhone is dreadful at using wifi over cellular data. Just awful. I stream stuff on my Android and I barely get to 2 gb because the Droid OS is much better at smart selecting.
                      It sucks. The other four of us on the plan (three droid and one iphone) are using less that 4GBs a month combined and most of that is used up by my 12 year old son.

There has to be a way to fix it, but looking on line there seem to be a lot of complaints and "try this" or "try that" advice, but nothing definitive.

Comment

• From what I've researched, it appears to be purely bad design. Droid has a thing called Smartswitch where it will toggle between the better connection, from what I've seen if the iPhone has trouble connecting at any point it will switch to cellular and not go back to wifi immediately.

I've not seen an app that can fix it nor a way to give alerts.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                          From what I've researched, it appears to be purely bad design. Droid has a thing called Smartswitch where it will toggle between the better connection, from what I've seen if the iPhone has trouble connecting at any point it will switch to cellular and not go back to wifi immediately.

I've not seen an app that can fix it nor a way to give alerts.
                          That's seems to be the case, although I think it is worse on the OS that my daughter's phone has than my wife's. I had a iphone 3g for a long time and never had a problem. I bought a cheap go-phone (HTC 610 desire, $140 Amazon link) and replace the iphone a few days ago and really like so far. My oldest son has had the same phone for about a year and a half and likes it quite a bit. You can't beat it for the price...

Comment

• I don't suppose you can narrow down which apps are the ones hogging all the data? You can turn off Cellular Data for everything, but if you could just drop it off the apps that are using the most that might make things easier on her.

Apps that use your location or are allowed to check for updates even when you're not using them can also use a lot of data.
                            2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• Originally posted by LionsFanInJapan View Post
                              I don't suppose you can narrow down which apps are the ones hogging all the data? You can turn off Cellular Data for everything, but if you could just drop it off the apps that are using the most that might make things easier on her.

Apps that use your location or are allowed to check for updates even when you're not using them can also use a lot of data.
                              Yeah, when we get to the new data cycle we can try to find what is sucking up the data and turn off or delete those apps as need be. I talked to her tonight and told her to turn off the data on the apps that she doesn't use very often, so when we she is not in wifi range she can use her phone without having to go into settings to check Facebook etc

Comment

• My wife's oldest son and I have been going back and forth over what he should get for his return to school. He was asking if I liked the HP Stream laptop and if he got that should he get a desktop pc too. In the end he got a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 with an i5 processor, keyboard case (touchcover?) and a projector add on that projects a 50" screen on the wall! Went from thinking about a $200 laptop to spending about $1,500!
                                "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                X