No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1. The Ambassador Bridge is privately owned, the the Detroit/Windsor Tunnel publicly owned. Both are roughly the same age, but the bridge is falling apart and the tunnel is not.

2. I would rather fly any number of state-run airlines than any US airline, including Turkish, Emirates, Singapore, and others.

3. Costs rose in Iraq when Halliburton won the right to provide services.

4. Prison operations - private ownership has introduced scandal and corruption into a service provision that had been uncontroversial before. Same goes for Chicago's parking meters.
    Thanks for taking the challenge. I don't remember the Bloomberg article, so if you can repost it, I'd appreciate that. I hope we can agree that "efficiency" means providing more product or service for the same price, or providing the same level of service or product at a lower price.

1. Tunnels last longer than bridges. They are not exposed to the elements. And when I talk of the private sector doing things more efficiently, I mean general things like toll roads v freeways (toll roads being better and cheaper). Comparing bridges to tunnels is apples to oranges, but I agree that Moron or whatever his name is has done a terrible job.

2. These national airlines are subsidized by the nations involved. I believe you are saying that these airlines provide a better service for roughly the same price. That's because of the subsidy.

3. I don't know about this specific case, but I'm sure Dick Cheney is to blame.

4. This is a good one. Let's put fraud and criminal behavior aside, because I can name instances of that in the public sector too. The cost I can find is about even, public prisons v. private prisons (60-57 per day per inmate). But this underreports the cost of public prisons because:

First, public systems, unlike private ones, don’t spread the costs of capital assets over the life of the assets. In most public prisons, the cost excludes the initial capital cost of building the prison. Private prison costs include that cost. This is identical to the cost of a government school v. a charter school. The cost of the building is simply omitted from the government cost. I suspect this has to do with the way budgets are constructed in the public sector.

Second, various public expenditures, including employee benefits and medical care, utilities, legal work, insurance, supplies and equipment, and various contracted services, are often borne by various other agencies in government, which might understate public costs by 30%–40%. One of the often-ignored costs in the public sector is the cost of borrowing capital. Conversely, governments bear some of the costs of private firms, for instance, in various cases, contract monitoring, inspection and licensing, personnel training, inmate transportation, case management, and maintaining emergency response teams. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.784a15d088cb

Third, and this cuts your direction, private prisons are usually guaranteed healthy prisoners. Even not including sex-change operations for the guy who is now named Chelsea, public prisons have more medical expense.

And of course, you later brought up the military which is the classic public good. That is vastly more efficient than Blackwater or any privately run military. That "patriotism discount" that we as the public get is something special. It makes you wonder why progs routinely vote against increased pay for military personnel.
    Last edited by Da Geezer; May 8, 2017, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• Compare any public toll bridge to the Ambassador, you'll struggle to find any bridge worse than the Ambassador. Sometimes it feels like the bridge in Escape From New York was in better condition.

The problem with private prisons is they have a vested interest in keeping and increasing the population.

Comment

• I vote for a party increase every chance I get. We lose a lot of good soldiers every year because they can make more money, with less bullshit, on the outside.

As a married E6 with 12 years in I bring home roughly 4500 a month, including BAH and BAS. They don't scale our BAH like they do with welfare, a married E6 with no kids gets the exact same amount as I do with 4.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
        AAL- Sam Martin - Because the Punter is one of Detroit's most used assets

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          Compare any public toll bridge to the Ambassador, you'll struggle to find any bridge worse than the Ambassador. Sometimes it feels like the bridge in Escape From New York was in better condition.

The problem with private prisons is they have a vested interest in keeping and increasing the population.
          Mackinac Bridge is an example of a public toll.
          2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Comey inaccurately testified about Huma Abedin; now FBI trying to figure out how to correct the record

The FBI hasn’t decided how to correct the director’s false claim that she forwarded thousands of Clinton emails to the laptop computer of her husband, former Congressman Anthony Weiner.

Comment

• Extremely careless

Comment

• Rod Blum (R-IA) is having all attendees at his town halls screened to make sure they are from his district; figured it's only the purported 'outside agitators' who are angry at these things. He stormed out of a local tv interview when asked about this.

Even after screening, his constituents mainly yelled at him. Oops.

Also, this is a Freedom Caucus member trying to make the House bill more popular by calling it 'Obamacare 2.0'

Blum said that the bill had been improved to his liking, but he agreed with constituents upset about the rush to pass it. He called the legislation “Trumpcare” several times during the town hall meeting, but in an interview with The Washington Post called it “Obamacare 2.0″ and admitted that the bill doesn’t repeal the current health-care law.

“This isn’t a repeal and replace. This is Obamacare 2.0. We’ve probably changed 10, 20 percent of the bill is all,” he said in the interview.

Comment

• To be accurate, the tv reporter asked why Blum would only allow first district residents at his events. Doesn't he represent all Ioawans?

Blum said no, I represent the 1st District.

The reporter then asked: do you take political donations and money from people outside the 1st District?

Blum said he didn't have to sit there and be badgered...and stormed off...LOL

Comment

• shaddup
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Someone isn't seriously saying that a Representative in the House represents their entire state? That couldn't have actually been a real question? Are people actually that fucking stupid?
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                        In the meantime, James Clapper unequivocally states that he has seen zero evidence of any Trump-campaign collusion with Russia, nor has anyone else.

I suppose the intelligence community could have unearthed evidence since Clapper left in late January, but, ummm, yeah. So in a campaign full of leaks and intercepted calls and contacts, this what we have to go on. Oh, and Flynn lobbied for Turkey before being appointed NSA and then fired from same position!!!!
                        Clapper laid waste to this post yesterday.

Comment

• Clapper laid waste to this post yesterday.
                          I haven't been paying attention because I don't care. So, I'm gathering that Clapper testified that there was now plenty of evidence that Trump colluded with Russia? Well, that looks like impeachment and indictments.
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Ok

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                              To be accurate, the tv reporter asked why Blum would only allow first district residents at his events. Doesn't he represent all Ioawans?
                              If they all get there late will the 1st be last?
                              "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• The rhetoric has moved from impeachment to life imprisonment for him, Ivanka and Kushner. I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

Working...
                                X