DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old Today, 10:47 AM   #29201
Dr. Strangelove

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the cop who killed Tamir Rice had previously been fired by Parma (or some other suburb) essentially for being psychologically unfit to be a cop. Then Cleveland somehow hired him. Was that because Parma never released the reasons for his dismissal to the Cleveland PD? My memory's failing me. Stuff like that should never be allowed to happen. Not sure if it might've been a union thing too.
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old Today, 10:52 AM   #29202
iam416

I'm not sure on the facts of the Rice case other than the cop should have never been a cop. Like ever. The City was rightly hit with a huge civil suit.

But, yes, that's the type of basic screening stuff that ought to be in place everywhere.
Old Today, 10:54 AM   #29203
Dr. Strangelove

Richard Shelby, the other Republican Senator from Alabama, went on a morning show today and just unloaded on Roy Moore. He didn't have to make that appearance just two days before the election. The guy seriously doesn't want Moore to win.

Dunno if he'll have an effect. Moore supporters will probably go bananas with rage. Will the more suburban, educated Republicans stay by Moore or pick up on Shelby's hints to write-in another candidate/stay home?

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...-senate-288642
Old Today, 11:24 AM   #29204
Mainevent

Quote:
........ you're second point, Main, is rendered moot by talent's arguments above. To wit: Jury's will probably give the police the benefit of the doubt.
I don't see how my opinion of the guy being the wrong type for the situation is rendered moot.

Talent's post right after points out some steps being taken to weed out those individuals who could be problematic. It's never going to be full proof, but the process should continue to evolve and strive for better results. And it shouldn't stop once somebody becomes a cop. Police need to be continuously reviewed and evaluated over time due to the stress level involved with the job, as it can certainly alter a person's psyche. The biggest hurdle there is the whole blue wall mentality. I'm sure if you walk into any cop shop and asked the officers off the record which guys they consider a danger or prone to cracking in tense situations, they can tell you.
Mainevent is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old Today, 11:58 AM   #29205
Kapture1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam416 View Post
I'm not sure on the facts of the Rice case other than the cop should have never been a cop. Like ever. The City was rightly hit with a huge civil suit.

But, yes, that's the type of basic screening stuff that ought to be in place everywhere.
See, this is what most people get wrong about the Rice case, of the two cops, which was most at fault for that shooting? its not the one that pulled the trigger. His partner, the driver of the car that pulled right up to Rice, and put his partner in that situation IMO is most at fault. The problem is these things are not as black and white as you say they are.

I like Sam Harris' take on it

Last edited by Kapture1; Today at 12:08 PM.
Kapture1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old Today, 12:11 PM   #29206
whodean

Moore will be elected, then censured and possibly removed in short order. The Republicans just want to keep the seat.
Old Today, 01:22 PM   #29207
Da Geezer

Quote:
My question for you Geezer is - why confront this man reported with a gun in the hallway? Things seem like they could unravel badly (and they did). Could they have not waited for him to be in his room and bust the door down as a raid, something they have much experience doing? Its not like anyone had been hurt up to that point, and anyone could have heard shouting in the hallway and walked into a firestorm.
Good question Wingsfan. And I'll add that at the end of the five-minute video, it seemed to me that the officers thought they had a card that would give them access to the hotel room. And (just guessing) I think that was their plan.

As they are walking toward the room, someone comes out of the room and heads toward them. These are not beat cops, they are more on the order of SWAT. They make an instantaneous decision to take down the two persons. One is no problem, she complies. The male is given instructions, and, to me, it looks like he also complies as best as he could. I say they should have cuffed him by having a person follow the wall to the right of the SWAT-shooter until they get the perp cuffed. And remember, if there are only two officers, this leaves the shooter unprotected if some other perps come out of the hotel room. If there are three or more officers, then they should have cuffed the perp ASAP but that is just my opinion.

As far as other guests being caught in a cross-fire, those SWAT officers are well marked and carrying ARs. If you were going out for some ice and you saw them, I suspect you would beat a hasty retreat.

Wingsfan, from the video, I believe the SWAT team's plan was to do exactly what you recommended. They wanted to surprise the folks in that room. But when the folks came out of the room and it was face-to-face, well the video speaks for itself.

A week or so ago, I was the first conservative poster here to say that the jury's Steinle decision should be accepted, and I gave a couple of reasons why. Until we see the trial transcript of the officer's trial, I'd suggest we should accept the jury's decision. Juries usually get it right

Last edited by Da Geezer; Today at 01:26 PM.
Da Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old Today, 01:25 PM   #29208
CGVT

"Juries usually get it right"
-OJ Simpson-
Old Today, 01:49 PM   #29209
Da Geezer

good post, Kapture.

The time to question an arrest is after the arrest.
Old Today, 01:54 PM   #29210
Da Geezer

Quote:
"Juries usually get it right"
-OJ Simpson-
Do you think that verdict might have been different if he had been tried by a jury of his peers (read Bel Aire), rather than south-central LA? I do.
Old Today, 02:03 PM   #29211
CGVT

Lighten up, Francis.

It was a harmless throw away joke
Old Today, 02:23 PM   #29212
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Geezer View Post
Do you think that verdict might have been different if he had been tried by a jury of his peers (read Bel Aire), rather than south-central LA? I do.
Do you believe the Rodney King verdict might have been different had that trial been held in South Central LA rather in than Simi Valley, an overwhelmingly white suburb that's not even a part of LA?
Old Today, 02:25 PM   #29213
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapture1 View Post
See, this is what most people get wrong about the Rice case, of the two cops, which was most at fault for that shooting? its not the one that pulled the trigger. His partner, the driver of the car that pulled right up to Rice, and put his partner in that situation IMO is most at fault. The problem is these things are not as black and white as you say they are.

I like Sam Harris' take on it

https://youtu.be/s-H9xYs0Xls
Well the cop that killed Rice WAS in fact fired by another police force for being unfit for duty. What's your argument that his partner is the one more at fault? I tried to pay close attention to Sam Harris but I may have missed it if he commented on it.
Old Today, 02:34 PM   #29214
Dr. Strangelove

Is there a point at which this woman will become too deranged and unhinged for even Fox News? She wants most of the leadership at DOJ and the FBI arrested. She's been calling for Sessions to be fired for months.

Periodic reminder that this imbecile ran several horrendous Senate campaigns against Hillary and got her ass handed to her. Her husband was tied to the mob and served time in prison.

But hey, get a dozen facelifts and a boob job and Trump will treat you as if you are a brilliant legal mind.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/12/1...ice-department

Old Today, 04:39 PM   #29215
Kapture1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
Well the cop that killed Rice WAS in fact fired by another police force for being unfit for duty. What's your argument that his partner is the one more at fault? I tried to pay close attention to Sam Harris but I may have missed it if he commented on it.
I assume you saw the video. They were responding to a call where a male was pointing a gun at people. The driver pulls right up to him and the passenger opens his door. Right there is Rice and he's reaching for his waistband. The passanger has no cover whatsoever. Under those circumstances there is only time to draw and defend yourself. What the driver should have done was park 25-30 feet away where they have the space to draw and issue orders. Instead he put his partner directly into a snap second decision.
Kapture1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old Today, 05:42 PM   #29216
Mainevent

Watch the entire video of the hotel shooting. The cops yell at whoever is in the room to come out. After the two people come out, the cops are clearly being cautious that there might be others still in the room. The ask the two people several times if there’s anybody else in the room.
Mainevent is offline   Reply With Quote Top