OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
    If you click on the aircraft symbol and then choose cockpit view it gives you the google earth view of the heading and altitude. Just followed one in to detroit that was cool picking out the landmarks
    That is pretty darn cool. The plane I was following came up from Nashville, went up to Six Mile then headed back to the airport. But the stream or whatever died just as it was getting near there.
    #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Wow, what a cool and amazing site.
      "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

• Finally got my SSD on the way, it should be here tomorrow.

I was hip on doing this a few months back, but held off on the budget. This deal came up and looked pretty sweet, so I decided it's time.

Going with a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB.

There was another $25 coupon code that I applied to it, so I got it for $214.
        Last edited by unknown lions fan; January 17, 2013, 08:57 PM.
        The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• Nice!
          2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• It has an amazing impact on the boot up.

Comment

• not bad ULF - make sure firmware is current.
              Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Got it up and running, here's my performance statistics:

Boot Time:

SSD: 24 Seconds HDD (Seagate 750GB 7200 RPM) 2 minutes 39 seconds

Shutdown time:
                SSD: 13 Seconds HDD: 28 Seconds

Performance Benchmark using Samsung SSD Magician:

Quite an improvement, no?
                The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• Haha, just a bit.

Comment

• To be fair, I haven't loaded *all* of my software yet, so the boot time could go up a little more once I have (but I do have the primary stuff all on there...)

And I've suspected that some software is not playing nice on my Win7 install on the HDD for a while now. Logitech's mouse software, in particular, was a pain in the ass. I'm not going to put it on my new drive.

Comment

• Yeah, but still. They're so much faster on load times.

Comment

• Good stuff! Enjoy.

Comment

• ULF - did find that the more stuff you put on, it does add to boot time.
                          Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by unknown lions fan View Post
                            Got it up and running, here's my performance statistics:

Boot Time:

SSD: 24 Seconds HDD (Seagate 750GB 7200 RPM) 2 minutes 39 seconds

Shutdown time:
                            SSD: 13 Seconds HDD: 28 Seconds

Performance Benchmark using Samsung SSD Magician:

Quite an improvement, no?
                            Not two hundred dollars worth.

I can live with slower times for that kind of change.
                            19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• You ain't got enuff geek in you, Gonz.

There are numerous other benefits beyond fast boot times. The computer is more "snappy" overall (think how much difference it made several years ago when you doubled your RAM) and my data is safer because the chances of mechanical failure are eliminated.

This PC is where I'm building my next business, so it's 200 well spent.

Comment

• my data is safer because the chances of mechanical failure are eliminated.
                                This ^^^
                                No moving parts for the win
                                Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

Working...
                                X