Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > Detroit Lions

Old December 25th, 2017, 10:16 PM   #21
Panoptes

Allegedly
Old December 25th, 2017, 10:30 PM   #22
scott2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Is there a scenario where the league could force an owner out? I'm sure they can't do it here but just wondering.
They were working on Jerry Jones when he was opposing Goodell's contract and all of the other stuff. I'm sure they have ways if they really want to. Just say "detrimental to the league" or "conduct unbecoming" and you are half way there.
scott2020 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 26th, 2017, 12:11 AM   #23
chemiclord

Unfortunately, there are FAR too many owners who could be subject to such a forced sell-off if "gross incompetence" was ever grounds for such action.

You'll never see an owner be pushed out simply because their franchise is perennially awful.
Old December 26th, 2017, 05:02 AM   #24
jaadam4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatnod View Post
Maybe he could work with the nutritionist staff, with his special meatball recipes.
lol
Old December 26th, 2017, 07:05 AM   #25
Malto Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemiclord View Post
Martha poisoned the well right from the get go by basically saying that no incoming GM was going to be allowed to fire Caldwell. That Quinn agreed to that was a sign he wasn't going to be the man for the job. He's just another ass-kissing crony. He can go too, for all I care.

This franchise needs a complete enema, where everyone is fired, including ownership. Until the Fords sell the team to someone who demands results, nothing will change.

Hold on there, Cowboy. There is an assumption that Mrs. Ford straddled Quinn with Caldwell but, there is no proof. Because Mrs. Ford was asked at Training Camp what she thought of Caldwell, and she responded she loves him, does not mean she insisted he be kept when Quinn came aboard, or now.

We will know the day after the season is over, if it is possible Quinn was straddled with Caldwell. If he is still here, it is clear Quinn has marching orders from above.
Old December 26th, 2017, 08:44 AM   #26
dsred

Straddled?
Old December 26th, 2017, 09:02 AM   #27
dwt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Is there a scenario where the league could force an owner out? I'm sure they can't do it here but just wondering.
Didn't the NBA force an owner out. But i'm pretty sure that the league can't force an owner out for selling what the fans keep buying.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have"
dwt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 26th, 2017, 09:07 AM   #28
dwt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott2020 View Post
They were working on Jerry Jones when he was opposing Goodell's contract and all of the other stuff. I'm sure they have ways if they really want to. Just say "detrimental to the league" or "conduct unbecoming" and you are half way there.
When were they doing that? - Jerry Jones is a cash cow for the NFL, in 2016 he generated $300m more than the #2 team (NE) they will never disrupt that.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have"
Old December 26th, 2017, 09:11 AM   #29
Malto Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsred View Post
Straddled?
How's that for a visual?
Old December 26th, 2017, 09:12 AM   #30
chemiclord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malto Marko View Post
Hold on there, Cowboy. There is an assumption that Mrs. Ford straddled Quinn with Caldwell but, there is no proof. Because Mrs. Ford was asked at Training Camp what she thought of Caldwell, and she responded she loves him, does not mean she insisted he be kept when Quinn came aboard, or now.

We will know the day after the season is over, if it is possible Quinn was straddled with Caldwell. If he is still here, it is clear Quinn has marching orders from above.
Well, lemme ask you this. If YOU were hired in a supervising position, and there was one guy who is a total jagoff, but you know that the business owner loves the guy and has gone on record saying how awesome he is... do YOU fire the clown?

I highly doubt it. It also means you're either not smart and/or desperate because you took the job in the first place.
Old December 26th, 2017, 09:14 AM   #31
dwt1

If that's the case it also says that you are not very good at your job.

Old December 26th, 2017, 09:24 AM   #32
Malto Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemiclord View Post
Well, lemme ask you this. If YOU were hired in a supervising position, and there was one guy who is a total jagoff, but you know that the business owner loves the guy and has gone on record saying how awesome he is... do YOU fire the clown?

I highly doubt it. It also means you're either not smart and/or desperate because you took the job in the first place.
.....actually, I have had to fire people that I like as people but were not doing what they were hired for. Both while working for myself and working for someone else.

I would not be a good example but I understand what you are saying.

Basically Quinns' reputation is on the line. Did he take the job to get a promotion or is he running the show?
Old December 26th, 2017, 09:33 AM   #33
dsred

Quote:
.....actually, I have had to fire people that I like as people but were not doing what they were hired for. Both while working for myself and working for someone else.

I would not be a good example but I understand what you are saying.

Basically Quinns' reputation is on the line. Did he take the job to get a promotion or is he running the show?
We should know the answer to this question early next week.
Old December 26th, 2017, 09:37 AM   #34
Cody_Russell

We have read that Martha likes Jim Caldwell. Coach Caldwell is a very nice, personable person and it wouldn’t surprise me if Martha had a big sway in keeping him. We don’t know enough information about it.
Kind of like how Ford Sr was best buddies with Millen.

Now, it makes sense to me that if Quinn REALLY wanted Caldwell gone, it could have happened. There have been articles back in the 2016 offseason that told us Quinn and Caldwell work well together. Communication.
First time GM... tough to fire a coach if the owner likes him, you communicate well together, and it’s your first couple of months on the job.
Should have had the balls to do so! Get your own head coach.

(Mostly speculation... but hey, what can we know)
Old December 26th, 2017, 09:55 AM   #35
Malto Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody_Russell View Post

Now, it makes sense to me that if Quinn REALLY wanted Caldwell gone, it could have happened. There have been articles back in the 2016 offseason that told us Quinn and Caldwell work well together. Communication.
First time GM... tough to fire a coach if the owner likes him, you communicate well together, and itís your first couple of months on the job.
Should have had the balls to do so! Get your own head coach.

(Mostly speculation... but hey, what can we know)
......which brings it to focus even more.

Yup. Caldwell was the easy choice and the one most likely to get the most out of the roster buying time to fix the roster.

Not picking up a RB last year does not look good on his resume. Now he also has to address poor sideline leadership during games.

We shall see what shakes out.
Old December 26th, 2017, 10:53 AM   #36
gibby

Time to rebuild
Old December 26th, 2017, 12:05 PM   #37
ColoradoLion

You all are either holding Martha responsible for the shit her late husband did, or you don't believe a woman should own a football team. Maybe it's both.

Since she's been owner, the GM was fired mid-season because he wasn't getting the job done. The offensive coordinator was fired mid-season because he wasn't getting the job done. For all of the hand-wringing about "liking Jimmy", Caldwell was given a one-year extension. None of that is typical Ford ownership. If she really "liked Jimmy" as much as you all think, he would have gotten a Millen-esque extension. That move was pretty damn brilliant and gave him a one year, prove it to me evaluation after he made the playoffs 2 out of 3 years. He failed.

Now, if Caldwell stays, I'm right with you. But up to this point, everything has been handled the right way. I have a feeling if Bill Ford Jr. was making these decisions, there would be more of a wait-and-see attitude in here.
ColoradoLion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 26th, 2017, 12:13 PM   #38
Malto Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLion View Post

Now, if Caldwell stays, I'm right with you. But up to this point, everything has been handled the right way. I have a feeling if Bill Ford Jr. was making these decisions, there would be more of a wait-and-see attitude in here.
Not with me. In fact, I believe if Jr. was calling the shots and had already made the decision, he would have had Quinn bid him adieu after the 9 men on the field fiasco.
Old December 26th, 2017, 12:43 PM   #39
jaadam4

Quote:
Not with me. In fact, I believe if Jr. was calling the shots and had already made the decision, he would have had Quinn bid him adieu after the 9 men on the field fiasco.
Then who would have taken over? Austin? The defensive coordinator that is in charge of the 9 man defensive scheme? Or Jim Bob Cooter and his vanilla offense?

We werenít in a great position
Old December 26th, 2017, 12:51 PM   #40
Malto Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaadam4 View Post
Then who would have taken over? Austin? The defensive coordinator that is in charge of the 9 man defensive scheme? Or Jim Bob Cooter and his vanilla offense?

We werenít in a great position
You would be in a better position with someone who was auditioning for the job than someone who is oblivious to it.