DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > Detroit Lions

Old December 9th, 2017, 05:57 PM   #41
FanFromCali

It's early and a lot can (and will change) change, but a couple of backs I would love the Lions to take a look at in the draft are Nick Chubb and Kerryon Johnson. Both could still be there in the 3rd round.

AAL: A'Shawn Robinson
FanFromCali is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 9th, 2017, 06:31 PM   #42
Malto Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanFromCali View Post
It's early and a lot can (and will change) change, but a couple of backs I would love the Lions to take a look at in the draft are Nick Chubb and Kerryon Johnson. Both could still be there in the 3rd round.
So you sayin the Lions are likely to trade up and take one of those in the
2nd?
Old December 9th, 2017, 06:44 PM   #43
dpatnod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT View Post
And Polk high never had a better DVOA.
Old December 9th, 2017, 08:42 PM   #44
LightninBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pappageorgio View Post
It’s exploitation because the very tender schools are using (free education) is severely undermined by the amount of time/effort needed to pay for it. And the value of the “free” thing they’re giving is actually way under the value of the time needed to participate in it.

They act like these kids are getting a “free” education out of the deal....but in reality most of these kids are putting 30-40hrs a week in weight training, film study, practices, travel, ect. The average cost of a years worth of tuition for a non-private out of state school is $26k (about 10k in state).....if semesters are 16-17weeks long and you have to put in 30-40hrs of work to participate, how much is that worth? These kids are being paid minimum wage for a very physically demanding and dangerous job....while the universities rake tens of millions

Now factor in that all the time they spend in practices absolutely take away from their ability to take full advantage of the benefit they are supposed to derive from all this work.....and coach’s will actively dissuade thes players from taking any hard classes that might stunt any on the field performance.

Now I don’t know how you define “free”......but this doesn’t seem like they get anything free at all. They are actually being paid a cut rate for second rate access to this thing that’s supposed to be so wonderful ( and free)
Cannot add anything to this excellent post.
LightninBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 10th, 2017, 01:08 AM   #45
jaadam4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBB View Post
I recommended you for a tour of the pit of misery.
Dilly Dilly!
Old December 10th, 2017, 02:48 AM   #46
jaadam4

Quote:
It’s exploitation because the very tender schools are using (free education) is severely undermined by the amount of time/effort needed to pay for it. And the value of the “free” thing they’re giving is actually way under the value of the time needed to participate in it.

They act like these kids are getting a “free” education out of the deal....but in reality most of these kids are putting 30-40hrs a week in weight training, film study, practices, travel, ect. The average cost of a years worth of tuition for a non-private out of state school is $26k (about 10k in state).....if semesters are 16-17weeks long and you have to put in 30-40hrs of work to participate, how much is that worth? These kids are being paid minimum wage for a very physically demanding and dangerous job....while the universities rake tens of millions

Now factor in that all the time they spend in practices absolutely take away from their ability to take full advantage of the benefit they are supposed to derive from all this work.....and coach’s will actively dissuade thes players from taking any hard classes that might stunt any on the field performance.

Now I don’t know how you define “free”......but this doesn’t seem like they get anything free at all. They are actually being paid a cut rate for second rate access to this thing that’s supposed to be so wonderful ( and free)

I do think the players should be paid something but I hardly see it as exploitation. It’s basically a big stakes internship. These players are all auditioning for 100’s of thousands to mega millions. Both sides are using each other to get what they want. Besides players that received lifelong injuries or ones that went to Penn State and were piddled by Jerry Sandusky I doubt there’s many players that wouldn’t do it all over again.
Old December 10th, 2017, 04:58 PM   #47
Fraquar

Quote:

Tuition is only 1/2 of the equation. You forgot room/board, books, food (and footballers eat a ton of that), etc. You are talking $50,000 range per year to attend the schools which are going to get a player the highest levels of exposure like Michigan, Alabama, USC, Notre Dame, etc.

Free means at the end of 4 years I have 0 debt. No student loans, nothing. Do you realize how long it would take to pay off a $200,000 student loan?

Again, remember, most of these players getting these scholarships aren't going pro.......
Fraquar is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 10th, 2017, 05:14 PM   #48
froot loops

I think the room and board is included in that 26k.
froot loops is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 10th, 2017, 05:17 PM   #49
froot loops

Michigan is listed as 29k per year in school and 14 of it is tuition. USC is private, this it is listed much higher, but a lot of the list price gets knocked off.
Old December 10th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #50
dwt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by froot loops View Post
Not at a top school, my son went to Notre Dame - $52,000 with room and board. That was 4 years ago.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have"
dwt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 10th, 2017, 05:46 PM   #51
Fraquar

Quote:
Nope, thats just the cost of tuition.

People don't realize just how much you'd have to pay a player just to get what they get from their scholarship.

They'd need to be paid for all that, plus at least enough to hold 4 different people on retainer:
a) Position coach
b) Strength and condition coach
c) Nutritionist
d) Doctor

It's starts adding up real, real fast if they got nothing and had to be paid to pay for all they get. In fact, just holding those 4 people on retainer would likely cost 4-5 times as much as the tuition/room/board.
Fraquar is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 10th, 2017, 05:59 PM   #52
dpatnod

5 PLayoff participant banners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 jag DT's,

3 Shitty LB

2 injured DE

And a partridge in a pear tree!@!!!!!!!
Old December 10th, 2017, 06:02 PM   #53
dwt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraquar View Post

People don't realize just how much you'd have to pay a player just to get what they get from their scholarship.

They'd need to be paid for all that, plus at least enough to hold 4 different people on retainer:
a) Position coach
c) Nutritionist
d) Doctor
e) Hooker
f) Tattoo artist

It's starts adding up real, real fast if they got nothing and had to be paid to pay for all they get. In fact, just holding those 4 people on retainer would likely cost 4-5 times as much as the tuition/room/board.
FTFY

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have"
Old December 10th, 2017, 06:15 PM   #54
froot loops

Quote:

a) Position coach
c) Nutritionist
d) Doctor

No it isn't, I'm going through it right now. I have a kid going to college next year, he may play college football or he may not and I know the tuition prices. FFS. You are not paying 26 k in school tuition at a public school on average. We have looked at at least 5 colleges and none of them are actually 26k for tuition.
Old December 10th, 2017, 06:21 PM   #55
CGVT

Quote:
No it isn't, I'm going through it right now. I have a kid going to college next year, he may play college football or he may not and I know the tuition prices. FFS. You are not paying 26 k in school tuition at a public school on average. We have looked at at least 5 colleges and none of them are actually 26k for tuition.
Exactly. I have two in college right now. In state-tuition in all states about a third of that.
Old December 10th, 2017, 06:51 PM   #56
Nick Pappageorgio

Quote:
Tuition is only 1/2 of the equation. You forgot room/board, books, food (and footballers eat a ton of that), etc. You are talking $50,000 range per year to attend the schools which are going to get a player the highest levels of exposure like Michigan, Alabama, USC, Notre Dame, etc.

Free means at the end of 4 years I have 0 debt. No student loans, nothing. Do you realize how long it would take to pay off a $200,000 student loan?

Again, remember, most of these players getting these scholarships aren't going pro.......
Even if I accepted your math (which I don’t completely).....are you saying that they get to take full advantage and get full value out of this supposedly free education (and I think we can both agree there’s nothing free here)? Other than the tons of food they eat, of course.

Part of the problem is that the tender they are receiving....the athletes are not fully able to appreciate due to the massive responsibility needed to participate in the sport. When I went to school.....I paid for it but was able to take the classes I wanted when I wanted them. I also don’t remember all of the classes being available every hour on the hour....some classes were at odd times (like during football practice, film study, or weight training).

Not to mention what happens if you get badly injured.....you school yanks that “free” education and any long term difficulty arising from the injury is your problem.

IMO the only way that the “free”education would hold water is if it was in perpetuity.

I don’t know how you can call what the NCAA does anything but exploitation.
Nick Pappageorgio is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old December 10th, 2017, 06:54 PM   #57
dwt1

Quote:
Your only looking at public school, and probably in state. My son was accepted at Notre Dame ($52k), Harvey Mudd ($64k), Stanford ($54k), Northwestern ($54k) - Ohio State ($24k, in state). Tuition and room/board

Last edited by dwt1; December 10th, 2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old December 10th, 2017, 07:24 PM   #58
dpatnod

Fuck yes! Those meatballs stuffed into a green pepper are awesome!
Old December 11th, 2017, 01:26 AM   #59
Frank Van Dusen
100 Miles Away

Wasn't Harvey Mudd the District Attorney in Gotham City?
Old December 11th, 2017, 06:58 AM   #60
dwt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Van Dusen View Post
Wasn't Harvey Mudd the District Attorney in Gotham City?
Maybe, but it's also one of the top schools in the country.