DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > Detroit Lions

Old November 13th, 2017, 05:29 PM   #1
kreton

Playoffs?! Playoff!? Yea, I am talking playoffs!

I keep getting into conversations in threads about playoffs and if we'll win a playoff game so I wanted to start up a thread just for it.

As it stands right now we are out of it.

However I think we have a good chance at making the playoffs.

We have a very winnable schedule.

Our competition for the playoffs have tough roads.

For those who like these things:

https://playoffpredictors.com/Footba...Y86+597-4GCeQA

See how it turns out for you.

I can see the Lions winning the division and getting in as a WC. Thats right the WC is within the Lions grasp.

So - As it stands we are in the 8th position. 2 seeds out of the playoffs.

Lions key playoff rivals for a spot

Vikings - 7 games left (4 on the road) Have to play the Rams, Lions, Falcons, and Panthers.

So either Minnesota losses those games, which likely gets us the division or they win the games (other than vs detroit) and they drop the Falcons, Panthers and/or Rams in the WC hunt.

Falcons (current 7th seed) Has a brutal schedule. Saints TWICE, Panthers, Vikings, and Seahawks. Every game win or lose helps us just like the others.

Panthers (current 6th seed) have to play the Saints, Vikings, Falcons. Win or lose all these games count as good for Detroit. If they win, Falcons and Vikes fall, if they lose, they fall.

Seahawks (5th seed) Falcons, Eagles, Rams, Jags, and Cowboys.

Packers are the 9th seed. They are done.

That leaves the Cowboys. Right behind us. With a moderate schedule. But they have to play the Eagles, Seahawks and Raiders. And I guess Washington.

This all leave the WC about to be blown up. All the teams ahead of are going head to head vs each other every week.

All the Lions have to do is 5-2 to win the division and 4-3 to hit the WC in almost every realistic scenario.

Now if we get in the Lions need to win a game. Most likely we get in at a 3-6 seed. With either a home game vs a WC team (probably DAL, ATL or CAR) or an away game vs Minnesota.

So anyhow calling it now. Lions at home vs Atlanta in the first round of the playoffs. I think we take the 4th seed and play the 5th seed. ATL or CAR and I am guessing ATL.
kreton is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 13th, 2017, 05:38 PM   #2
dwt1

They don’t make the playoffs.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have"
dwt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 13th, 2017, 05:47 PM   #3
kreton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwt1 View Post
They donít make the playoffs.
Why not? All the teams that are going to challenge our playoff run play each other every week. They can't all win.
Old November 13th, 2017, 06:00 PM   #4
dwt1

Because Minnesota is playing really good football and will win the North.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have"
Old November 13th, 2017, 06:04 PM   #5
kreton

Quote:
If Minnesota wins their games, then we make it as a WC. ATL, and CAR have brutal schedules as well. They can't all win when they all play each other.

If the Lions go 4-3 down the stretch or better they will get in. 9-7 and we will get in. Try the simulator and realistically pick. If the Lions beat the Bears x2, and the Packers x1 (VERY doable) we are in with 1 other win in 5 games.
Old November 13th, 2017, 06:18 PM   #6
Fraquar

Lol. Talking playoffs with 7 games to play, you do know we are talking about the Lions here.
Fraquar is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 13th, 2017, 06:26 PM   #7
dwt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreton View Post
If Minnesota wins their games, then we make it as a WC. ATL, and CAR have brutal schedules as well. They can't all win when they all play each other.

If the Lions go 4-3 down the stretch or better they will get in. 9-7 and we will get in. Try the simulator and realistically pick. If the Lions beat the Bears x2, and the Packers x1 (VERY doable) we are in with 1 other win in 5 games.
Dude, you are the King of wishful thinking.

Old November 13th, 2017, 06:51 PM   #8
kreton

Quote:
Dude, you are the King of wishful thinking.
My point is legit. The Vikings/Falcons/Panthers/Saints/Rams/Cowboys/Eagles all play each other multiple times. Those guys are going to destroy each other while play the Bears and Bengals.
Old November 13th, 2017, 06:52 PM   #9
kreton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraquar View Post
Lol. Talking playoffs with 7 games to play, you do know we are talking about the Lions here.
Damn right. Lions are going to make it. Gonna hit the playoffs hot.
Old November 13th, 2017, 07:06 PM   #10
LionsFanInJapan

If they win the next two games, I'll start to entertain the thought.
Old November 13th, 2017, 07:25 PM   #11
Malto Marko

Quote:
Given the Lions record of being in the drivers seat and shitting the bed at the end of the season, I can not totally disagree.

However, this will tell a lot about the status of the team and FO.

Minny has a tougher schedule from here on out as they are on the road with a target on them and down to the third string QB but happy to go back over the bridge.

Lions have not impressed but survived.

If Minny gets swept by the Lions, which is a possibility, their room for error is slim.

Given that, I will agree if it comes down to the last game of the season to decide the winner of the Division, it would not be the Lions, no matter who they are playing.

I see Minny taking a few lumps that they avoided earlier.
Old November 13th, 2017, 07:31 PM   #12
dwt1

Quote:
My point is legit. The Vikings/Falcons/Panthers/Saints/Rams/Cowboys/Eagles all play each other multiple times. Those guys are going to destroy each other while play the Bears and Bengals.
Seattle and the Rams are in the mix too. Seattle likely wins that division Ram take a wild card. Leaving only one for all those other teams.

Old November 13th, 2017, 07:50 PM   #13
Frank Van Dusen
100 Miles Away

If they don't beat Minnesota, they aren't making it. Atlanta and Carolina have tiebreakers over them.
Old November 13th, 2017, 08:23 PM   #14
kreton

Quote:
Seattle and the Rams are in the mix too. Seattle likely wins that division Ram take a wild card. Leaving only one for all those other teams.
Look at Seattles remaining games. I think they finish 8-8. WC teams are coming out of the North and South this year.
Old November 13th, 2017, 08:41 PM   #15
Dan V

Kreton, it makes sense to me. I want a division title and a home game, not a road WC one and done.
Dan V is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 13th, 2017, 09:35 PM   #16
unknown lions fan

There's a chance of making the playoffs, easy schedule, and the Lions tradition of doing just enough to get there.

But it's a certain first round exit, so I don't care.
unknown lions fan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 13th, 2017, 10:22 PM   #17
dsred

Win the next two games and we'll talk.
Old November 13th, 2017, 11:29 PM   #18
LightninBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown lions fan View Post
There's a chance of making the playoffs, easy schedule, and the Lions tradition of doing just enough to get there.

But it's a certain first round exit, so I don't care.
You just summed up in two sentences what I said in about 6 paragraphs in the "Midseason thoughts" thread.
LightninBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 13th, 2017, 11:44 PM   #19
LightninBoy

Quote:

I see where you are coming from. The impact of the top teams playing each other is often not factored in when casually looking at the standings and playoff chances. However, I still find it difficult to see the Lions getting into the playoffs with a 9-7 record having lost to Atlanta, Carolina, and New Orleans. If they don't take the division, I think they can squeak in as a WC at 10-6 and should cruise in at 11-5.
LightninBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 14th, 2017, 12:28 AM   #20
Fraquar

Quote:

You might want to familiarize yourself with the tiebreaker scenario for the Wild Card:

Head 2 Head. Lions lost to all 3 NFC South teams in the playoff race. It's looking pretty likely that all 3 of those teams will have 9 wins. Pretty sure Atlanta is going to make a 2nd half run.

9 wins isn't going to be enough......
Fraquar is offline   Reply With Quote Top