DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > Detroit Lions

Old January 28th, 2009, 12:49 AM   #1
jaadam4

Tigers

Pitchers and catchers report here in a few weeks. I'm pretty excited about this team. I like the fact Inge is happy and back at third, we have a SS that can actually play short and rollercoaster isnt on the squad.

I like the Edwin Jackson pickup (some say he throws a lot like Verlander) and Lyon could be huge if he's on. Z is supposedly looking good in long toss.
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #2
Drew

I'm very happy Inge is going to be the everyday third baseman. Now if he could get his bat going.
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:20 AM   #3
jaadam4

They say he's looking on the muscular side. Sounds like he's ready to kill the ball. I hope Z regains some form. We need him
Old January 28th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #4
Deuce

Where's Carlos goint to play? DH?

I agree on Edwin Jackson, I am not sold that Joyce is the real deal anyhow.
Old January 28th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #5
jaadam4

They have Carlos in LF. And Van Slyke said the other day that he's going to be a very good LF. The best the Tigs have seen in years.

Can you imagine how this staff would look if D Train would find his stuff again?

Verlander/Gallaraga/Bonderman/Willis/Jackson

We wouldnt even have room for Nate Dog but he might look really good in the pen. Speaking of the BP I'm hoping Rincon shows something. He used to be great in Minny as a setup man for Nathan.
Old January 28th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #6
froot loops

You'll never confuse the talent of Verlander with Edwin Jackson. Maybe if Jackson found a compass.
froot loops is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 31st, 2009, 04:19 AM   #7
jaadam4

It was something that V had said about them being very similar that got me on that track.

What's everyone think of Lyon? I've never really seen him pitch
Old January 31st, 2009, 05:45 AM   #8
Drew

I know we have to have his bat in the line-up, but I'm not certain about Carlos in LF.

However, I didn't care for him at third last year initially, but he really became quite good after manning the posit for a while.

I was biased also, because I felt Inge had displayed near gold-glove abilities, and shouldn't have been removed.
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:42 AM   #9
gjdodger

I think people are hoping the reduced stress of the outfield will turn him back into a .300/.400/.500 guy, which is good at any position, but I don't know. Some guys fall from their peak pretty quickly.
Old January 31st, 2009, 09:31 AM   #10
Fraquar

I'd rather see Lyon than the Rollercoaster - but that doesn't mean I have the warm and fuzzies over Lyon as Closer.

I do think it's kind of funny that all the emphasis we have put in pitching during the draft is netting us nothing coming through the system to fill roles in the pitching staff the last 2 seasons. Our 40 man roster is littered with players who have come from other organizations the last 2 seasons:

Seay
Rapada
Miner
McBride
Jackson
Galarraga
Lambert
Lyon
Bloom
Simons

In fact Freddy Dolsi and Rick Porcello (who isn't ready) are the only homegrown pitchers that we have drafted that we have on the 40 man roster since Verlander and Zumaya came up with the team breaking ST in 2006. Thats disturbing with the amount of resources they have put into the pitching department in the draft.

The bullpen doesn't look any better to me than it was last season - which means there is gonna be a heavy reliance on the starters to give a lot of quality outings - and deep starts at that.

The direction this season takes may very well be shaped by Bondo's first two to three outings - and what happens to him in the first and second innings in those outings. That has been his Achilles heel his entire career to this point.
Fraquar is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:24 AM   #11
Chuck Cunningham

Another sub .500 season is upon them....yawn.
Old January 31st, 2009, 11:04 AM   #12
mason reese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraquar View Post
I'd rather see Lyon than the Rollercoaster - but that doesn't mean I have the warm and fuzzies over Lyon as Closer.

I do think it's kind of funny that all the emphasis we have put in pitching during the draft is netting us nothing coming through the system to fill roles in the pitching staff the last 2 seasons. Our 40 man roster is littered with players who have come from other organizations the last 2 seasons:

Seay
Rapada
Miner
McBride
Jackson
Galarraga
Lambert
Lyon
Bloom
Simons

In fact Freddy Dolsi and Rick Porcello (who isn't ready) are the only homegrown pitchers that we have drafted that we have on the 40 man roster since Verlander and Zumaya came up with the team breaking ST in 2006. Thats disturbing with the amount of resources they have put into the pitching department in the draft.

The bullpen doesn't look any better to me than it was last season - which means there is gonna be a heavy reliance on the starters to give a lot of quality outings - and deep starts at that.

The direction this season takes may very well be shaped by Bondo's first two to three outings - and what happens to him in the first and second innings in those outings. That has been his Achilles heel his entire career to this point.

Aren't there a couple relievers in the minors that look like they have a chance to make the roster this year? Casey Fien?
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:18 PM   #13
Whitley

There are a bunch of power RP arms in the low minors right. Casey Fien looks like he will have a very good chance of coming north (as of right now). There is also Ryan Perry the #1 draft choice of 2008. Satterwhite is another guy that might get a look see.

It's not surprising there are not a lot of pitchers on the 40 man roster since the 2006 draft. Porcello signed a major league contract so he had to be on the 40 man. Same deal with Andrew Miller too.
Old February 4th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #14
jaadam4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I was biased also, because I felt Inge had displayed near gold-glove abilities, and shouldn't have been removed.
yeah I agree. I was unhappy with that move from day 1. Inge is the man at 3rd
Old February 4th, 2009, 08:23 AM   #15
jaadam4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Cunningham View Post
Another sub .500 season is upon them....yawn.
Wow.. Are you serious? I think this team has a real chance at the division.
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #16
Newbomb Turk
the corpse of Hope

maybe the NFC North, or the ACF West.... but not baseball.
Old February 7th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #17
gjdodger

"A-Fraud" Took Roids

A-Rod reportedly tested positive for steroids

NEW YORK Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids in his MVP season of 2003, according to a report by Sports Illustrated.

The New York Yankees star tested positive for two anabolic steroids, four sources told Sports Illustrated in a story posted Saturday on its Web site.
His name appears on a list of 104 players who tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in a 2003 baseball survey, the magazine said. He reportedly tested positive for Primobolan and testosterone while playing for the Texas Rangers.
Rodriguez declined to discuss the tests when approached by SI on Thursday at a gym in Miami, where he lives in the offseason.
"You'll have to talk to the union," he told a reporter. Calls from SI to union head Donald Fehr were not returned.
An e-mail from The Associated Press to Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras, was not immediately returned. The Yankees and Fehr had no comment.
In a December 2007 interview with "60 Minutes," three days after George Mitchell's report on drugs in the sport was released, Rodriguez denied using peformance-enhancing drugs.
"I've never felt overmatched on the baseball field. ... I felt that if I did my, my work as I've done since I was, you know, a rookie back in Seattle, I didn't have a problem competing at any level," he said.
Rodriguez played for the Rangers in 2003, when he won the AL home run title and MVP award. He was traded to the Yankees in 2004. He is drawing a major league-high $27 million salary after signing a record $275 million, 10-year contract with New York in 2007.
The revelations come at a time when baseball's focus on drugs has concerned Barry Bonds and the legal maneuvering leading to the start of his trial March 2. The government is trying to prove the home run king lied when he told a grand jury he never knowingly took performance-enhancing drugs.
Rodriguez until now has had an offseason dominated by talk of disclosures in Joe Torre's recently released book. The former Yankee manager wrote of the pressure A-Rod puts on himself and the third baseman's need to command the stage. Torre said some in the Yankees clubhouse referred to Rodriguez as "A-Fraud," although Torre made light of that during interviews promoting his book, "The Yankee Years."
Baseball's drug policy prohibited the use of steroids without a valid prescription since 1991, but there were no penalties for a positive test in 2003.
As part of an agreement with the players' union, the testing in 2003 was conducted to determine if it was necessary to impose mandatory random drug testing across the major leagues in 2004.
The results of the testing of 1,198 players were meant to be anonymous under the agreement between the commissioner's office and the union. SI reported that Rodriguez's testing information was found after federal agents, with search warrants, seized the 2003 results from Comprehensive Drug Testing, Inc., in Long Beach, Calif.
That was one of two labs used by baseball in connection with the testing. The seizure in April 2004 was part of the government's investigation into 10 baseball players linked to the BALCO scandal, the magazine reported. Rodriguez has not been connected to BALCO.
Primobolan, also known as methenolone, is an injected or orally administered drug. It improves strength and maintains lean muscle with minimal bulk development and few side effects. Bonds tested positive three times for methenolone, according to court documents unsealed by a federal judge Wednesday.
Primobolan is not an approved prescription drug in the United States. Testosterone can be taken legally with a prescription.
Old February 8th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #18
chemiclord

I am shocked!

Shocked, I say!

Wait... no I'm not.
Old February 8th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #19
gjdodger

2009 has not started out in stellar fashion for the Fraudster. Perhaps he should change his unie number.
Old February 8th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #20
Fraquar

The Tigers have been drafting pitching in droves since DD came on board in 2003 - and only Verlander and Zumaya are on the roster. He traded away alot of what was down there - some in good trades (Miller in the MCab trade) others it looks like he just gave away (Jurrjens in the Renteria debacle). The end result though is the Tigers have been going outside the organization every time they have had a vacancy that has needed to be filled - even though there have been capable guys who were already in the pipeline on some of those occasions.
Fraquar is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Tags
"season over" kstat, gonz knows baseball, jaad knows mac n cheese, sf did beards better