DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > Detroit Lions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #1
ColoradoLion
Senior Member
 
ColoradoLion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Morrison, CO
Posts: 2,416
OT: MSU

I refuse to allow the Michigan turds to have college football to themselves in this forum. I can't freaking wait until Saturday night -- not because I'm certain of a win, but because I'm not quite sure what to expect. We have a good senior QB who might take a step up, a great RB, some unknown potential at receiver and a question mark on the OL. The line shouldn't be horrendous, but if they can become at least good, the offense should be impressive.

On defense, we need the line there to step up as well, which is a good possibilty. Especially with the transfer from Cinci. LB and CB should be a strength.

Overall, I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm. I love the coaching staff and we are making huge strides in recruiting. It's awesome to not have football season be a pathetic diversion from basketball.
ColoradoLion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #2
gjdodger
Senior Member
 
gjdodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Maumelle, Arkansas
Posts: 12,965
Have you hired a new timekeeper?
__________________
I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!
gjdodger is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 27th, 2008, 08:19 PM   #3
King Cole
Senior Member
 
King Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLion View Post
I refuse to allow the Michigan turds to have college football to themselves in this forum. I can't freaking wait until Saturday night -- not because I'm certain of a win, but because I'm not quite sure what to expect. We have a good senior QB who might take a step up, a great RB, some unknown potential at receiver and a question mark on the OL. The line shouldn't be horrendous, but if they can become at least good, the offense should be impressive.

On defense, we need the line there to step up as well, which is a good possibilty. Especially with the transfer from Cinci. LB and CB should be a strength.

Overall, I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm. I love the coaching staff and we are making huge strides in recruiting. It's awesome to not have football season be a pathetic diversion from basketball.
Little uncalled for?
And i'm pretty sure most of my posts about Mich ffotball were in response to a Wisc poster why don't you call them turds too?
__________________
I'm not to blame.

I voted for the other guy!

Nov. 2008
King Cole is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #4
warhawk
Senior Member
 
warhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: alabama
Posts: 348
msu will have a break out year they are my big ten sleeper
warhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #5
SeattleLionsFan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 22,475
Anything less than 12 wins is a failure year for dantonio..
__________________
To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi
SeattleLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #6
ColoradoLion
Senior Member
 
ColoradoLion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Morrison, CO
Posts: 2,416
Quote:
Anything less than 12 wins is a failure year for dantonio..
That's funny.

King, I wasn't singling any individual out as a turd, just Michigan fans as a whole. Packer fans are turds, too.

Dodger, I refuse to take the bait on that one.
ColoradoLion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 28th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #7
DanO
Senior Member
 
DanO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ann Arbor MI.
Posts: 28,682
"Anything less than 12 wins is a failure year for dantonio.."
----------------------------LOL.

This turd hopes MSU has a great year just like I always do.

GO LIONS "08" !!!!!!!!
__________________
GO LIONS "18" !!

Take us to the promised land Matthew.

Sincerely PollyAnna Dan.
DanO is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 28th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #8
King Cole
Senior Member
 
King Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanO View Post
"Anything less than 12 wins is a failure year for dantonio.."
----------------------------LOL.

This turd hopes MSU has a great year just like I always do.

GO LIONS "08" !!!!!!!!
Well that's kinda why I took offense to the turd comment. I'll root for MSU 11 of 12 weeks + their bowl if make one. Most UofM fans I know always hope state has a good season just not the weekend they play us. But for some reason MSU fans don't feel the same way to UofM? And you call us turds
__________________
I'm not to blame.

I voted for the other guy!

Nov. 2008
King Cole is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #9
Rocky Bleier
Senior Member
 
Rocky Bleier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northwest, WI
Posts: 9,195
It appears that SLF is right.

at California W
Eastern Michigan W
Florida Atlantic W
Notre Dame W
at Indiana W
Iowa W
at Northwestern W
Ohio State W
at Michigan W
Wisconsin W
Purdue W
at Penn State W
__________________
I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.
Rocky Bleier is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #10
gjdodger
Senior Member
 
gjdodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Maumelle, Arkansas
Posts: 12,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLion View Post

Dodger, I refuse to take the bait on that one.
hook.JPG
__________________
I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!
gjdodger is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #11
ColoradoLion
Senior Member
 
ColoradoLion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Morrison, CO
Posts: 2,416
King, don't take it personally. It's a fact that if U of M has a shitty year, it benefits the Spartans. If the best recruits figure that they'd have a better chance playing on national TV and competing for Big 10 championships in East Lansing than they would in Ann Arbor, that makes our program better.

And yes, I do believe that can happen. Michigan won't ever fall to the depths of the Big 10, but I think the personnel and facilities are in place that could allow for State to be a legitimate threat to win the conference year in and year out.

Another way in which bad seasons in Ann Arbor is a good thing at State can be evidenced by Michigan being ranked in the preseason top 25 this season. They have that mystique and reputation. The more that reputation and mystique takes a hit there, the more the Spartans stand to gain in terms of the national media and recruiting.

Obviously, all this doesn't mean squat if State can't maintain improvement and consitently win 8-9 games a year, at least. I've been a State guy since the mid 80's and this is the first time that I've felt we're poised for that.

I don't think all Michigan fans are a-holes. (Unfortunately, I've heard some Spartan fans be embarrassing during basketball season.) I just want what's best for the State football program. It is an either/or situation. A weaker Michigan program strengthens State's.
ColoradoLion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #12
ColoradoLion
Senior Member
 
ColoradoLion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Morrison, CO
Posts: 2,416
Dodge, that's funny as hell.
ColoradoLion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 28th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #13
King Cole
Senior Member
 
King Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLion View Post
King, don't take it personally. It's a fact that if U of M has a shitty year, it benefits the Spartans. If the best recruits figure that they'd have a better chance playing on national TV and competing for Big 10 championships in East Lansing than they would in Ann Arbor, that makes our program better.

And yes, I do believe that can happen. Michigan won't ever fall to the depths of the Big 10, but I think the personnel and facilities are in place that could allow for State to be a legitimate threat to win the conference year in and year out.

Another way in which bad seasons in Ann Arbor is a good thing at State can be evidenced by Michigan being ranked in the preseason top 25 this season. They have that mystique and reputation. The more that reputation and mystique takes a hit there, the more the Spartans stand to gain in terms of the national media and recruiting.

Obviously, all this doesn't mean squat if State can't maintain improvement and consitently win 8-9 games a year, at least. I've been a State guy since the mid 80's and this is the first time that I've felt we're poised for that.

I don't think all Michigan fans are a-holes. (Unfortunately, I've heard some Spartan fans be embarrassing during basketball season.) I just want what's best for the State football program. It is an either/or situation. A weaker Michigan program strengthens State's.
I guess that's difference with M and MS fans. I don't look at like if MS is really crappy M will get all the best Mich HS kids. Sure i could see how a 0-12 season for MSU would benefit UofM but I'd rather have the pride of both Michigan schools doing well! I don't see it has an either or thing. Back in 60's it was UofM and MSU being the big 2 vs little 8 then OSU came in the mix and dropped MSU down a notch. I hope they one day flip flop again!
__________________
I'm not to blame.

I voted for the other guy!

Nov. 2008
King Cole is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 28th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #14
Rocky Bleier
Senior Member
 
Rocky Bleier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northwest, WI
Posts: 9,195
There are good and bad fans on both sides. I hated MSU when I was a kid - except when they would beat Ohio State. I still don't like them, but I don't take it so seriously anymore. Why get bent out of shape over something you can't control? It's a game. And next year there will be another one win or lose.
__________________
I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.
Rocky Bleier is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 28th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #15
Juliusdacat
New Member
 
Juliusdacat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9
"And next year there will be another one win or lose."

People will still be talking about last year up until the next game.
__________________
Won't change this signature until Matt Millen is dethroned as King Clown of the Detroit Lions. (Thursday August 28th, 2008, 6:32 PM)
Juliusdacat is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 28th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #16
mason reese
Senior Member
 
mason reese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Cole View Post
I guess that's difference with M and MS fans. I don't look at like if MS is really crappy M will get all the best Mich HS kids. Sure i could see how a 0-12 season for MSU would benefit UofM but I'd rather have the pride of both Michigan schools doing well! I don't see it has an either or thing. Back in 60's it was UofM and MSU being the big 2 vs little 8 then OSU came in the mix and dropped MSU down a notch. I hope they one day flip flop again!

I don't really follow college recruiting, but I'd have to guess that MSU is much more dependant on a good in-state recruiting class than UofM is.

Whether or not UofM has bad season, they will still end up with their pick of the in-state litter. But a bad year for UofM coupled with a good MSU year could mean just a few more in-state guys that can make a difference.

UofM seems like it must have a much larger talent pool to draw from, which I'm guessing is why Froot finds all the "Carr left the cupboard bare" comments laughable. They may not be the perfect players for the new guys system, but they should still be able to "out talent" their way into some wins this year.
__________________
"This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "
mason reese is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 28th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #17
gjdodger
Senior Member
 
gjdodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Maumelle, Arkansas
Posts: 12,965
I don't follow it either, but I've always presumed all of the Big 10 schools recruit nationally. If you don't find what you want in Alpena or Escanaba, go to Texas and California and Florida.
__________________
I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!
gjdodger is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 28th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #18
mason reese
Senior Member
 
mason reese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjdodger View Post
I don't follow it either, but I've always presumed all of the Big 10 schools recruit nationally. If you don't find what you want in Alpena or Escanaba, go to Texas and California and Florida.
I'm sure they do all recruit nationally, but even then UofM has the rep and name recognition to give them the recruiting leg up over MSU. A single bad season or two probably wouldn't change that unless something spectacularly good happened at MSU at the same time.

UofM and OSU could go down to Florida and have a good chance at getting the guy FSU and Miami both passed over, still a heck of a player, MSU is probably looking more at JuCo transfers.
__________________
"This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "
mason reese is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 28th, 2008, 10:12 PM   #19
gjdodger
Senior Member
 
gjdodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Maumelle, Arkansas
Posts: 12,965
Rodriguez also has the advantage of looking at rap sheets.
__________________
I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!
gjdodger is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 28th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #20
ColoradoLion
Senior Member
 
ColoradoLion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Morrison, CO
Posts: 2,416
Quote:
Whether or not UofM has bad season, they will still end up with their pick of the in-state litter.
Take a look at the top 10 recruits in the state for 2009 and you might change your tune.
ColoradoLion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest DetroitLionsForum.com.
This site is a non-profit fan site and IS NOT affiliated with the NFL or Detroit Lions or any other sports team. Please visit the official site of the Detroit Lions for official information on the Lions.