DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > Detroit Lions

Old January 29th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #21
Newbomb Turk
the corpse of Hope

luckily there was an expert at nearby Faber College to help get Barbaro out of Dan-O's master bedroom .........
Old January 29th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #22
YT

I'm very sorry to hear about your loses Deb.
YT is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 29th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #23
Newbomb Turk
the corpse of Hope

Geez Deb, I am sorry about your cat, I know how hard it is to put down a fuzzy member of the family like that. If you are a believer in the 9 lives theory, odds are your new kitten will still be Alex.....so make sure you get a male or you are liable to have one confused cat
Old January 29th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #24
-Deborah-

lol! I like that thought
-Deborah- is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 29th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #25
ColoradoLion

Quote:
I am sure they pumped him drier than than Dan-O after a weekend of free Cinemax.........
A thoroughbred has to be conceived "naturally" in order to race. Quarterhorses can be artificially inseminated, but not thoroughbreds.

Deb, that sucks. Peace to you. It'll get better.
ColoradoLion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 29th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #26
dwt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLion View Post
A thoroughbred has to be conceived "naturally" in order to race. Quarterhorses can be artificially inseminated, but not thoroughbreds.
obviously....somebody who checked into such things
dwt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 29th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #27
ColoradoLion

Not a betting man, but a fan of horce racing since I was a kid in Albany and my parents took me up to Saratoga. I read a lot about it, including a book called "Stud" that's about the (freaking crazy) breeding industry. That's where I learned that my dream of having a half-equine offspring win the Triple Crown would never happen.

Oh well. I'll always have the greyhounds.

I'm hoping that Barbaro's death will lead to tracks in this country switching to a synthetic racing surface instead of dirt. Some decent tracks have done it already. It's much, much better for the horses.
Old January 29th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #28
Drew

Who knows the difference between natural and artificial? What does the term quarterhorse mean anyway?
Old January 29th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #29
Masspartan

The American Quarter Horse is a breed of horse originally bred for sprinting short distances, typically races of a quarter mile or less. The Quarter Horse is the most popular breed in the United States, and is the largest breed society in the world, with over 3.2 million Quarter Horses registered worldwide.[1] It is commonly believed to be the world's fastest horse over short distances, and has been clocked at 55 mph.[2]
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #30
ColoradoLion

Drew, I'm guessing you're being sarcastic with your first question, but in case you aren't...

The colt has to cover (That's what they call it. Sexy, eh?) the mare. There's a vet present during the horsey love session, among others, that acts as a witness. No turkey basters allowed.
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #31
Drew

I seriously was not being sarcastic. I never would have guessed that it was customary to watch horses do it. I mean who really gives a shit where the product came from--it's either a fast horse that kicks ass or it's not. Do people go around saying "My horse is the descendent of Seattle Slew" "Who cares; it came in last behind Broken Rubber and Lazy Willie"

Now I can see where 100s of 1000s are made for the spew and overies of the great horses, because then your talking about the possibilities of great products.

Anyway, horse racing is for fags.
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #32
Drew

Old January 29th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #33
ColoradoLion

I'm sorry, Drew. I couldn't hear a word you said, due to the fact that I was cranking up the volume on some of my favorite Bette Midler songs.

The reason why they're so crazy about who is breeding with whom is because all thoroughbred horses descend from a very specific gene pool that supposedly goes back to two British horses hundreds of years ago (cue the banjo music). If you follow the bloodlines of today's horses back far enough, you see a couple of names that show up in the geneology of a huge percentage of them.

The industry does everything within their power to ensure that the thoroughbred blood won't be tainted with DNA from outside of the group.

Last edited by ColoradoLion; January 29th, 2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old January 30th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #34
kck-sum

Deb, a day late, but my sincere condolences on both fronts.
kck-sum is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #35
SeattleLionsFan

I'm really sorry Deb. Alex knows how much you loved him... I'm sorry about your cousin too. Suicide is a real bitch for everyone.
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #36
-Deborah-

Thanks, guys. I honestly didn't want to appear as if I was trying to garner some sympathy. I'm okay now. I just am incredulous that he was in my life for so long. It seems as though he's just always been there! I keep looking for him in his favorite spots and remembering why he's not there. Blah. It'll be nice to get a kitten again. Not sure that the dog would agree, though. lol
-Deborah- is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #37
DanO

Deb, sorry to here about your cat and cousin. I had a cousin commit suicide last April. Nobody knows/understands why. His wife found him when she returned home from work. Unfortunately I hadn't seen him in several years. Doesn't sound like your year 2007 is getting off to a much better start like we had hoped. Sorry to hear that.

"I am sure they pumped him drier than than Dan-O after a weekend of free Cinemax........."
-------------------Let's get something straight here people. I prefer Showtime.

GO LIONS "07" !!!!!!

Take us to the promised land Matthew.

Sincerely PollyAnna Dan.
DanO is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 30th, 2007, 10:06 AM   #38
Newbomb Turk
the corpse of Hope

Dan-O, you misspelled Showtunes........
Old January 30th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #39
Chuck Cunningham

Quote:
Thanks, guys. I honestly didn't want to appear as if I was trying to garner some sympathy
No it's fine Deb, this board has evolved into a support group at times. I echo Dano's sentiments, we were all supposed to have better years in 2007 and while you're off to a sad start, hang in there it will come around! I have my first real pet now and I already know I am not looking forward to having to deal with a loss.
Old January 30th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #40
unknown lions fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLion View Post
I'm sorry, Drew. I couldn't hear a word you said, due to the fact that I was cranking up the volume on some of my favorite Bette Midler songs.

The reason why they're so crazy about who is breeding with whom is because all thoroughbred horses descend from a very specific gene pool that supposedly goes back to two British horses hundreds of years ago...

lol CL - I imagine they're also pretty crazy about who's doing the breeding because they're laying out some major, serious cash to get their horse porked by a specific stud. You don't want to wait for the result to be a winner or loser as Drew implied - you want what you paid for.
unknown lions fan is offline   Reply With Quote Top