DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > Detroit Lions

Old November 29th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #1
unknown lions fan

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

I can't believe they're still getting $4,000 for the Segway. That thing has been on the market for several years now - I thought the $4K price tag was an early-adopter price, but apparently not.

They had a vision of these things all over the place, thousands of people riding them on the sidewalks of every town. But in order for that to happen, they'd have to be a $1000 or so unit in my opinion.

The only sales of them of any real significance are to corporations.
unknown lions fan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 29th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #2
mason reese

http://staugustine.com/directory/visit/1843199.shtml
Old November 29th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #3
Jdoggie

well, were not selling them to KIM JUNG WHATEVER anymore.
Jdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 29th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #4
Jdoggie

Also anyone got a Creative Zen Vision:M. I am looking into getting my wife one for X-mas. The reveiws seem pretty good.
Old November 29th, 2006, 03:36 PM   #5
Panoptes

RE: Segway

Many police stations use them for community visibility. I personally have yet to see one in person.

Last edited by Panoptes; November 29th, 2006 at 04:29 PM.
Panoptes is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 29th, 2006, 03:38 PM   #6
Jdoggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONZ View Post
RE: Segway

Many police stations use them for community visibility. I personally have yet to see on in person.
SHAQ uses one to cruise around his 64,000 square foot shanty.
Old November 29th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #7
Panoptes

shanty......lol
Old November 29th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #8
Drew

The airport cops use them at Reagan National Airport in DC. I've seen them.
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 29th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #9
SeattleLionsFan

The segway is a great idea. It's drive system is really revolutionary.

A walking gait is really a series of aborted falls. You lean forward and then move your feet to keep from falling over. The segway operates from the same principle. It's motors are designed not to go forward or back, but instead to keep you from falling. When you lean forward, the wheels go forward in an attempt to keep the center of gravity over the wheels.
Old November 29th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #10
dwt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoggie View Post
Also anyone got a Creative Zen Vision:M. I am looking into getting my wife one for X-mas. The reveiws seem pretty good.
had one, not quite an IPod - bottom line, go for the IPod.
dwt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 29th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #11
unknown lions fan

I don't know about the Zen - I believe it plays MP3s, but I wouldn't touch one of those IPods and their proprietary format with at ten foot pole. F that.
Old November 29th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #12
Jdoggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwt1 View Post
had one, not quite an IPod - bottom line, go for the IPod.
Don't like IPOD. Don't want to buy music from there stories or have a player that scrathes like shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown lions fan View Post
I don't know about the Zen - I believe it plays MP3s, but I wouldn't touch one of those IPods and their proprietary format with at ten foot pole. F that.
Yup. Creative plays all sorts of media including mp3s, wmaa, wav, etc...and many different video formats as well. Also heard it had a better screen the Ipod for video.
Old November 29th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #13
dsred

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoggie View Post
Don't like IPOD. Don't want to buy music from there stories or have a player that scrathes like shit.
I have never heard this. I was going to get my 17 year old daughter one for X-Mas. Please clarify. IPOD = no ripped MP3's?
dsred is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 29th, 2006, 06:16 PM   #14
SeattleLionsFan

you can rip cd's and put them on an iPod. You do have to use iTunes to manage your music though.
Old November 29th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #15
-Deborah-

My Dad asked for an iPod for Christmas. His plan? Put his music on it then connect the iPod to his stereo. Um...Dad? Meet the CD!

I instead got him a Sirius radio with all the fixings. He'll be retiring up north this year and this is perfect for him, especially with their NBA and NFL coverage.
-Deborah- is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 30th, 2006, 09:11 AM   #16
FCRhodes

I have been using RIO players way before Apple came out with the IPOD. IPOD is all hype.

The Baltimore Science Museuem rent outs Segways. I think its $10 for a 10 minute ride. I have yet to try it myself. I have something called a bicycle that I ride around on.
FCRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 30th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #17
dwt1

IPods are multi format compatable - You can either use MP3 or thier proprietary format. Keep in mind though, MP3 format results in larger files than the proprietary format.

Also, next time you go to the store, take a look at the # of after market accessories that are offered for IPod and then try to find the after market accessories for Creative Zen.

Last edited by dwt1; November 30th, 2006 at 09:18 AM.
dwt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 30th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #18
Timmy
Putz

Quote:
QFMFT

My peer bought the Zen for his daughter and apparently it's been a great unit.

The Ipod is all about fashion. The biggest problem with them IMO is that they don't tend to support subscription services like Yahoo music unlimited. If you plan on using any subscription service, I recommend you check into which players are compatible.

If I were in the market I'd probably go for the Zen Vision:M myself but I have a PocketPC phone that does all that stuff already.

Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 30th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #19
Jdoggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
you can rip cd's and put them on an iPod. You do have to use iTunes to manage your music though.
Yeah and it sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwt1 View Post
IPods are multi format compatable - You can either use MP3 or thier proprietary format. Keep in mind though, MP3 format results in larger files than the proprietary format.

Also, next time you go to the store, take a look at the # of after market accessories that are offered for IPod and then try to find the after market accessories for Creative Zen.
They are multi-format, but limited multi-format. Zen are compatible with 3 times the compatible formats, a radio, a recorder, Outlook contacts and has a better screen for video. I found a deal the ends today for about $215.

Also I agree about the acceriosies. However at some point the acceriuos are just useless. I need a set of portable speaks and the A/V wire. Everything else ifs all fluff and there is no way I am going to pay $200 so my Ipod can dock on my alarm clock. Furthermore any decent accessory will also include a aux plug that will connect to other mp3 players.
Old November 30th, 2006, 05:26 PM   #20
unknown lions fan

You guys checked out the prices on smaller flat screens lately? It's pretty funny.

The 42" plasmas are pretty easy to find now at $1499.

I was looking for something in a 27" or 32" for our bedroom. Of course, a 27" widescreen is about as tall as a 19" standard screen - so it's not a real big TV.

They're still at least $1000, most closer to $1200 - when you can get a 42" for $1499. I guess there's just not enough production on the smaller units yet.

So I picked up a cheap-ass Meijer store brand 20" low-res TV for $85 (stereo, 2 sets of video jacks including S-video.)

Pretty good deal. I just need it to last a few years until I can get a 32" flat screen for $300 or so.