Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non Football (OR POLITICAL) things that piss you off!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sorry to hear that Jim. I thought you retired to LA. Where is this other home at?
    Lions free since 6/23/2020

Comment

• We have a little house on St Simons Island Ga. The max elevation on the island is 9.8 feet. They are forecasting 7-11' storm surge. My mother-in-law owns two houses on the island, too

I think we are fucked.
      Attached Files
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• That's fkn unbelievable, CGVT. It also must be heartbreaking for you guys. Are you saying that house could potentially be blown or washed away? Had to google the island as I've never heard of it before. Devastating man.

Said it in the Weather thread, just can't comprehend any of this stuff at all.
        "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
          That's fkn unbelievable, CGVT. It also must be heartbreaking for you guys. Are you saying that house could potentially be blown or washed away? Had to google the island as I've never heard of it before. Devastating man.

Said it in the Weather thread, just can't comprehend any of this stuff at all.
          From the maps of projected flood surge, I think our house is going to be borderline. Best case it doesn't flood at all, worst case it gets washed away. Most likely a couple of feet of sea water inside and a lot of cleanup and expense. Same with one of my mother-in-law's houses. The other is on the beach and will probably be destroyed.

We have homeowners and flood insurance on our house. She has owned her's outright for years and carries no insurance.

We rent our house out (just enough to cover most of the mortgage. If it is uninhabitable, we will lose the offset of the rent payment. Even if the insurance covers repairs, the loss of the rent will be tough to cover.
          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Just read in the news, biggest storm to hit this island for 500 years? Can understand your mother-in-law not bothering with the insurance. I suppose It is a gamble in SE USA every year. And Mid USA with the Cyclones. And West USA witn the Earthquakes! FFS, is there anywhere safe over there?
            "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• I didn't take the wind into account, but suspect there will be some damage. The biggest concern is the flood surge, though.

I just put a new metal roof on my house a couple of months ago. Dammit.

Comment

• Ugh - sorry to hear CG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Hoping for the best CG.
                  GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Thanks. I am hopeful. The tide is on the ebb and from what I can tell, the worst of the on-shore winds will pass by before it starts to rise again, but I'm not sure. If that is the case, we may get lucky and have the highest surge at low tide which would be a wash (pun intended)

We are talking about a normal 7' range of tide. If it is low when the worst of the surge happens, it will be a huge difference. The storm needs to be even or north of the island so the winds are blowing off shore rather than on shore before the tide starts to rise again

The storm is off the coast of Jacksonville, about 70 miles south and is moving north at about 13 mh. Low tide is at about 7:30(EDT) tonight. There is a chance...

edit: it is 130 miles south of St Simons Island
                    Last edited by CGVT; October 7, 2016, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• I've been through a cat 4 once. Never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Got Kneecaps?

Comment

Just read in the news, biggest storm to hit this island for 500 years? Can understand your mother-in-law not bothering with the insurance. I suppose It is a gamble in SE USA every year. And Mid USA with the Cyclones. And West USA witn the Earthquakes! FFS, is there anywhere safe over there?
                        The beautiful State of Michigan offers some of the Earths most picturesque spots and aside from stopping for a drink of water from the drinking fountain at the Mall in Flint, has very few risks to it's inhabitants.
                        I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                          Thanks. I am hopeful. The tide is on the ebb and from what I can tell, the worst of the on-shore winds will pass by before it starts to rise again, but I'm not sure. If that is the case, we may get lucky and have the highest surge at low tide which would be a wash (pun intended)

We are talking about a normal 7' range of tide. If it is low when the worst of the surge happens, it will be a huge difference. The storm needs to be even or north of the island so the winds are blowing off shore rather than on shore before the tide starts to rise again

The storm is off the coast of Jacksonville, about 70 miles south and is moving north at about 13 mh. Low tide is at about 7:30(EDT) tonight. There is a chance...

edit: it is 130 miles south of St Simons Island
                          I joked with my stepson, Matthew THREE DAYS AGO, "Is that you wreaking havoc in the Caribbean, Matthew."...... this storm has to start losing its ferocity soon? Seems ages. Praying it loses masses of strength in the next 130 miles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                            The beautiful State of Michigan offers some of the Earths most picturesque spots and aside from stopping for a drink of water from the drinking fountain at the Mall in Flint, has very few risks to it's inhabitants.
                            Natural risks
                            19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                              Not wanting to change the subject from the importance of this storm and the people involved........, but you've forced me to ask, MM! What happened at the drinking fountain? Drive by shooting or something?

Still haven't forgotten the article I read on this site about the 1st & 4th murderous cities in AMERICA, were Flint & Detroit respectively. I found that hard to believe then, and still do.

Comment

Not wanting to change the subject from the importance of this storm and the people involved........, but you've forced me to ask, MM! What happened at the drinking fountain? Drive by shooting or something?

Still haven't forgotten the article I read on this site about the 1st & 4th murderous cities in AMERICA, were Flint & Detroit respectively. I found that hard to believe then, and still do.
                                Normal rankings
                                19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

Working...
                                X