DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old August 8th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #1041
Rocky Bleier

The beat goes on!

For your enjoyment:http://michiganstate.247sports.com/B...rbal-1094473/1

Last edited by Rocky Bleier; August 8th, 2011 at 12:46 PM.
Rocky Bleier is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 8th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #1042
WM Wolverine

Matthew Godin is a likely 3-tech DT and either of Chris Wormley or Tom Strobel could play there too. In this defense you want a 5-tech DE to almost be the size of a 3-tech DT...

Some analysts see Pipkins has a top 100 type talent.
WM Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #1043
Rocky Bleier

Except clueless ESPN which listed him as a 3 star, then said he had offers from Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma, and Tennessee. What dumbasses.
Old August 8th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #1044
lineygoblue

ESPN is historically tough on kids from the midwest.
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #1045
Hannibal

WM Wolverine what do you think of Jordan Payton?" We supposedly made his top two.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 9th, 2011, 06:43 AM   #1046
WM Wolverine

Here is my ranking of M WR targets (in order):

*Amara Darboh (4*), Jordan Payton (3*), Monty Mandaris (3*) & Jehu Chesson (3*)...

Darboh is a idea #2 receiver, not someone with a ton of speed/elusiveness yet still plenty athletic that can turn a solid gain into a big play. Kinda in the mold of Adrian Arrington... Jordan Payton might get a 4th star from the recruiting services because he started real high from getting noticed early. He's been leapfrogged by tons of more athletic receivers who've outperformed him in recent camps. I like his talent and would like him in this class but imo was overrated initially. FWIW he's real high on M and is a potential commit when he takes his official... Monty Madaris is another WR I'm not as high on as a lot of others, he's a big target with long arms and physical but isn't going to outrun many defensive backs. Kinda of a more athletic Jeremy Jackson. Like Payton, I'd like him in this class but would hope he's the 2nd receiver in a 2 WR class... Jehu Chesson is still on my board but I don't think M would take him until the others have decided, I'd probably rate him as a solid 3*, while the other couple WR's on my board (Payton & Madaris) are strong 3-stars...

Those who go to camps and watch 7-on-7's have a lot more authority to speak about receivers. You can only tell so much from highlights and game film; most notably a receivers routes/cuts are already made usually by the time the camera pans on them. A WR's 'drops' are obviously not on his highlight reels, maybe a receivers most important attribute is his hands. Even then, your relying on a likely suspect high school QB to get him the ball and many times they are being covered by someone that can't run a 4.8 forty.

Result is when I watch WR's highlights I see a lot of guys outrunning the DB's for bombs or are wide open; not a lot to really gauge their 'skill' other than their athletic ability. Good WR's with good QB's look great while good WR's with lousy QB's look mediocre.

Anyway, I think WR is the only position where M hasn't done well in recruiting (so far); this after taking no receivers in the previous class. Blue chips in '13 can come in and play immediately.
Old August 9th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #1047
Da Geezer

Wasn't there a lot of talk of how well Pharoh Brown did as a receiver during the 7 on 7's?
Da Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 9th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #1048
Jeff Buchanan

yes ..... but I doubt he is anything other than a deep, deep back-up WR in the minds of the coaching staff at this point in time.

If he did play WR, he'd be one of those big rangy guys without a lot of break-away speed to gain separation but apparently he has good hands and in a battle with a 5'9" 190 pound corner, he wins those battles.

As WM points out, the focus for recruiting right now is WRs (along with a RB).
Jeff Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 9th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #1049
Da Geezer

Boy, how do you turn away a talent like Schutt from the BBQ. Maybe they thought he was a silent committ and would try to recruit attendees.
Da Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 9th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #1050
lineygoblue

I think its becoming evident why Schutt was turned away. It looks to me like the staff knew ahead of time that Pipkins was getting ready to commit, and my guess is that O'Brien will follow as well. So, they could afford to say no to Schutt. I don't think they lose anything by taking Pipkins and O'Brien instead of Schutt.
Old August 9th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #1051
DennisT

I still think it's odd you wouldn't let a talent like that at least come and take a look. And maybe make a contingent offer if there is such a thing. Verbals are what they are, verbals, and these are young talented kids you're dealing with. Kids who have a lot of options.
DennisT is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 9th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #1052
lineygoblue

I agree with all of that, Dennis.

But, IMO .. sometimes if you snooze, .. you lose.

Scholarships are at a premium, .. for the 2012 class at least ..
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #1053
Jamie H

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisT View Post
I still think it's odd you wouldn't let a talent like that at least come and take a look. And maybe make a contingent offer if there is such a thing. Verbals are what they are, verbals, and these are young talented kids you're dealing with. Kids who have a lot of options.
If you already have a silent commit or a very good chance from a guy like Pipkins, why give him ANY reason to bolt? If you are flirting with other players at his position when he knows you only have one spot left and he is supposed to be taking it, I think that can only lead to bad things.
Jamie H is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #1054
DennisT

A bird in the hand...

The old saying about a verbal contract being worth the paper it's written on? A silent verbal is worth even less in my mind.

The timing of the Schutt go away and the Pipkins leak is an unlikely coincidence imo. Wouldn't surprise me if staff told Pipkins he had to go public with his verbal in exchange for telling Schutt to go away.
Old August 9th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #1055
lineygoblue

I don't think it was anything like that.

I think the staff knew Pipkins (and probably O'Brien) want to come to Michigan after taking some visits, and agreed to keep things quiet. When by time Schutt made up his mind, his spot was gone.

If anything, Schutt needs to be upset with Notre Dame. Remember, they were his first choice.
Old August 9th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #1056
Rocky Bleier

He should have verballed before Sheldon Day. Then he wouldn't be on the outside looking in.
Old August 9th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #1057
Jamie H

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisT View Post
A bird in the hand...

The old saying about a verbal contract being worth the paper it's written on? A silent verbal is worth even less in my mind.

The timing of the Schutt go away and the Pipkins leak is an unlikely coincidence imo. Wouldn't surprise me if staff told Pipkins he had to go public with his verbal in exchange for telling Schutt to go away.
We don't have the inside info. For all you know, Pipkins was the bird in the hand. Or perhaps the staff wanted him much more than Schutt?

I highly doubt Schutt would have been turned away if Pipkins wasn't a lock in the UM coaches minds. They had info that the rest of us did not have.
Jamie H is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 9th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #1058
Hannibal

I seem to remember reading on more than a few occasions that Michigan does not do silent commits. Either you commit publicly, or we're going to keep recruiting. This is what they did with Wayne Morgan.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old August 9th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #1059
WM Wolverine

M turned away Schutt from visiting after the BBQ.
Old August 9th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #1060
DennisT

I don't see any reason to risk alienating a talented kid, his family, his coach, etc. If there were silents or locks or whatever, let the kid come have a look with the understanding that he's third in line. And communicate the same to 1 and 2.