OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for a while, then they drop off....
    Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by bimmer84 View Post
      Lepers hang together.
      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
        for a while, then they drop off....
        Ha!
        To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Epic, a privacy browser with a fatal flaw

September 8, 2013kjrose
            I ran across this new browser recently, Epic.
            Why should I use Epic?
            When you use the Epic Privacy Browser, you get privacy in a fast, simple browser! Have a fabulous browsing experience and gain privacy over what you browse and search. Protect your browsing and searches from hundreds of companies and governments.
            Awesome, except for one thing – The software is closed source, and worse is supported by essentially a form of advertising.
            Epic like most browsers earns a commission on searches we drive. So the more you use Epic’s default search engine, the more you support Epic and our continued privacy efforts
            Combine this with the fact it is owned by a private company based out of the US (and thus subject to NSL and the like.)
            Hidden Reflex is a privately-funded software start-up company based in the United States
            Sadly, great idea, bad execution. If you want to have a higher assurance of privacy, you shouldn’t use this, use an open source browser with appropriate security related plugins – NoScript, RequestPolicy, Adblock edge (Not Adblock plus, which has been compromised). These are a good start, there are others out there that can help even more.
            Sadly, if you are a company that wants to provide a believable amount of privacy, you must do at least the following:
            • Your company cannot be based out of the US (Lavabit had to shut down, likely to avoid being forced to put backdoors in it’s software). I am forced to assume that any organization based out of the US is (or can be) similarly compromised.
            • Your company needs to have it’s software open sourced. You can keep the copyright on the brand however. (Open Sourced software allows for more public review of the code.)
            • You company needs to not use servers in the US to store your code or installer and you should have a hash of your installer to assure it’s not been tampered with.

Without those 3 things, you can no longer claim your software has privacy in mind and be believed anymore.
            Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
              My XP machines would not take a 7 upgrade. We have three other laptops in the house that all run on 7 and Mrs. Malto and the kids love it. I am the only one running 8 and I did not find the jump from XP to 8 to be all that difficult.

I am having a more difficult time getting used to the soft keyboard and the jumping of the cursor due to touch. I tried to disable touch but was unsuccessful but admittedly, only spent a few minutes trying as I thought it was just a matter of doing a few clicks. Well, I did a few clicks but guess they weren't the right ones so maybe tomorrow when I am playing around learning a new program to build my new web page, I will take a bit more time to get it done.
              Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
              Hmmmm.

Don't remember the original, but then again, my grey matter is turning into dust.

Tanks. Will find and do it.
              Ok. Found an important update available even though my system said I was last updated last Tuesday.

The download took a really long time even though it was supposedly only 758 MB. It took even longer to shut down to make the download working.

The one thing I did notice is that after logging on, I was sent directly to my home screen and not the Aps screen.

Really took a long time though, considering how small they said the file was.
              Ok, ok. So a novice can mistake MB for KB.

It was downloaded and installed successfully and I am booting straight to desktop instead of Apps page.

That is the most noticeable difference so far.

Thanks for the link, Gonz. Going to read it for the second time to properly digest it.
              I wouldn't say no reason to upgrade from XP to 7.

I would have loved to do that if my hardware would have allowed it.
              Yup, I agree to all of these. Except the part about the gray matter turning to dust.;-)
              "Don?t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright. - Bob Marley "

Comment

• Question:

Is it possible for a person who has the phone provider service to block certain numbers and re-activate them at their discretion.
                GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Do you mean like blocking your daughter from calling her boyfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
                    Question:

Is it possible for a person who has the phone provider service to block certain numbers and re-activate them at their discretion.
                    yes.

google "block phone numbers"
                    19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• "Do you mean like blocking your daughter from calling her boyfriend?"
                      -----------------------------------No, I mean is it possible for my ex to block me from calling my daughter. The answer is yes.
                      GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• You are correct, DanO.
                        I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanO View Post
                          "Do you mean like blocking your daughter from calling her boyfriend?"
                          -----------------------------------No, I mean is it possible for my ex to block me from calling my daughter. The answer is yes.
                          Wow, that's f'ing ridiculous. I can't believe that's ok to do when you guys have joint custody.
                          2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• Oh it's not OK to do
                            GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• This is super cool!

[ame="http://vimeo.com/91069214"]Birdly - Teaser on Vimeo[/ame]
                              2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• Interesting. I wonder if they could do a sim for sharks attacking seals

Comment

Working...
                                X