Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

That is just plain stupid
      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Monday's JH presser sounds like Peters is going to get some run v. Rutgers.

I'm not entirely convinced he's going to help the offense. If the guy that posted the diary that I linked to in the general M football thread is right about specific defects, the problem isn't the players as much as it is the coaches putting the game plan together, executing in game and what the players are being asked to do ..... that thing about putting them into places where they will succeed.

OTH, the problems could center around QB play and Peters could improve it to the point that Harbaughffense actually gets in rhythm drives the ball and produces points.
        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

It may be too late to fix the problems the coaches have brought to the table, but it's not too late to get the future guys some experience. I'm increasingly interested in a full housecleaning of the offensive staff tho, that's for sure.

Comment

Yeah, the staff needs to be held accountable for what's going on. Sure, O'korn sucks but they keep putting him out there and they clearly have little faith in the youngsters.

But they can't dump the whole system in the middle of the year. They have to find some ways to simplify, makes things easier on the OL and the QBs.

Comment

I'm not particularly inclined to write about this game but, WTF .......

I'll acknowledge that talent's take on Don Brown's D v PSU (less about whiff's by players and more about a shitty scheme) has validity. I do think, however, that the weaknesses, particularly player match-ups on M's D, were identified and exploited by Joe Moorhead where, heretofore, Brown had managed to conceal them with aggressive DL play and decent press-man coverage from the CBs. That was thorough really good DL play by M in it's preceding 5 games against weaker opponents - which was not the case v. PSU.

Well then, the blueprint is out there. Neutralize M's DL, exploit M's Ss. Can Rutgers do this.

No.

Rutger's has shown a propensity to not be able to run the ball using some combination of Martin, Josh Hicks, Paul James, Justin Goodwin, on occasion, Edwards v. all it's opponents this season. That is not an indication of good line play that can neutralize an opponent's DL.

PSU/Joe Moorhead did a very good job of creating huge gaps, running and passing lanes with misdirection that an amped and aggressive Michigan D consistently bit on. After the first two PSU scores, I don't think the players recovered and suffered a good bit of PTSD that the HV crowd did not help them recover from.

I don't think that is going to happen even a little bit this weekend, at home v. Rutgers. Rutgers does not have McSorley or Barkley back there to advantage themselves in the run or pass game by the kind of approach PSU used. However, this - M's D being taken advantage of by mis-direction - is something to watch for early in the game. I have no doubt Jerry Kill, Rutger's OC, will attempt to use this tactic though.

Rutgers does not have PSU's combination of receivers (Geseki, Hamilton, Barkley) let alone a guy like McSorely, throwing arm-punts (not a disparaging term) to them. I have no doubt though that Jerry Kill has practiced this week to have QBs Kyle Bolin or -a true new Jersian - Giovanni Roscigno) get the ball out fast. He does have Junior Janairon Grant to throw to. Grant's not a big dude (5-10, 178) but he's a skilled route runner. There are also a couple of big TEs (Griffin-Stewart and Nash) capable of catching the ball and Kill has used a lot more TEs in the passing game than were used last year. If McCray gets mismatched with Rutger's receivers, esp. Grant, early on, you'll know Kill talked to Moorhead (or watched a lot of film) and Brown didn't bother to make sure that didn't happen on Saturday.

M's D was vulnerable to slants and RPOs because Brown played his Ss at some weird depth that seemed to encourage PSU to run these plays. I don't think that is going to happen v. Rutgers and if it does, I'll be surprised and disappointed.

What's to talk about with M's offense. It is either incompetent or frustratingly awful. Brian seems to think "they are close." Fuck that. Being close has already brought us games where M turned the ball over 5X to MSU in a loss, IU took M to OT and PSU ass-jacked Don Brown while deploying a stunningly simple offense that Michigan's offensive cabal of coaches don't seem to have ever thought about.

Here's some things to watch for:

(1) Higdon running power in a 10 to 1 ratio with Zone.

(1a) The offensive line picking up stunts, slants and twists.

(1c) JBB not a turnstyle at RT

(2) Isaac crushing it behind Poggi blocks

(3) That one guy getting it right.

(4) A successful arm-punt or two from whoever is the QB on Saturday to Gentry or DPJ.

(5) Perry catching the ball on a slant and breaking it big.

(6) McDoom on a jet sweep where misdirection led by Higdon has caused the entire Rutgers offense to go to the opposite side of the field that McDoom is running to.

Holly shit ...... that's a lot!!!! Well, no one should be surprised.

Special teams ...... who cares. If field position and FGs are in play. I may stop watching M football and go on a cruise. No ...... I WILL go on a cruse where I am, by circumstance, unable to watch.

M 31-14..... and if M wins big like this (in a relative sense of course), too many fair weather fans will be back on the bandwagon. The smart ones know better. Michigan football is not good and if they are lucky enough to notch 6 wins with a victory over M's "biggest rival" today will deserve whatever shitty bowl they get stuck in.
              Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; October 27, 2017, 10:13 AM.
              There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

Rutgers scoring 14 points?
                Must be an O’Korn pick 6 and a miraculous TD from Janarion Grant, though very unlikely.

This game, technically a bye week, will be over after M scores their first TD in the 1st Q.
                Can’t wait for Peters to get the start in the 2nd half. Perhaps he can get 10 pass attempts in. If not, feed Kareem Walker.
                Last edited by Cody_Russell; October 27, 2017, 11:25 AM. Reason: Spell Check
                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

STFU
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Calmer then you are
                    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Penn State didn't do anything exotic or surprising. They executed their offense (which I really like, M could learn some things) really efficiently, took advantage of M's aggressiveness and put play makers in a lot of one-on-one match-ups against M's linebackers/safeties that they exploited. It helped they had talent like Barkley to hand-off too that could beat those LB's/safeties in space. The use of counters, misdirection, and read-pass option really made M's over aggressive LB's & safeties look bad.

McSorely rarely held on to the ball long (M's DL was just a half second away many times), his deep throws he got rid of it quickly and put loft under it and allowed his receivers to run under it. Those weren't arm punts, they were very well thrown, low risk passes to the sideline that only the receiver could catch.

Comment

Five Factors for the M, Rutgers contest is up. Cliff notes .......

M should, no wait, M WILL win.

Seriously .....

Run the ball 98% of the time - power not zone - go deep on non-standard downs but rarely.

Rutgers will sack JOK if a PA is called and he does the same old shit holding the ball for 5 seconds. Don't do this...... and keep this in mind: Rutgers has 7 sacks in 6 games and ranks 124/130 nationally. If Rutgers gets even one sack, ONE, it will be because JBB can't pass block (we know this) or because Kugler can't hold up to inside pressure from NT Sebastian Joseph or any of the weird slants and stunts Ash will invent to exploit the M OL's frustrating inability to deal with these.

One sack also means this offensive line is officially an embarrassment. Maybe one of the worst OLs M has ever fielded. Don't let this happen guys.

Comment

O'Korn picked off already.

How can you not at least try Peters

Comment

This just in:

O'Korn blows huge chunks of suckage
                            Atlanta, GA

Comment

I don't know what is gained by playing O'Korn here. He's regressing by the game and the team goes nowhere with him anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Kstat View Post
                                O'Korn picked off already.
                                and a bobbled snap that almost resulted in a fumble turnover. That bobble was on O'Korn.
                                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Working...
                                X