MLB and the Detroit Tigers Bandwagon Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
    I can't tell you how much I miss Glavine, Smoltz, Maddux, Chipper, Gant, Justice and the rest.

It's like I'm a prisoner who in the somewhat recent past was fed filet mignon and lobster and am now eating mayonnaise sandwiches on moldy bread. If I had never been fed the steak to begin with, the agony wouldn't be so exacerbated. The memory of having a competent team in Atlanta and looking at what we have now is depressing as all fuck.
    The Braves have shown some signs of progress this season. There's a team that is a few years ahead of the Tigers in terms of rebuilding. Tons and tons of young talent in the Braves system. The move to Suntrust has been a windfall for ownership so I think they are on the verge of spending some serious $ on talent. Things are looking up for the Bravos.

But yeah, the nineties through mid oughts were an awesome time to experience Braves baseball. There may well never be another franchise that wins 14 straight division titles.
    Atlanta, GA

Comment

• 1998 Braves - Best SR of all time? Didn't win WS

Greg Maddux (18-9, 2.22 ERA)

Tom Glavine (20-6, 2.47 ERA)

John Smoltz (17-3, 2.90 ERA)

Denny Neagle (16-11, 3.55 ERA)

Kevin Millwood (17-8, 4.08 ERA)

Comment

• Originally posted by whodean View Post
        The Braves have shown some signs of progress this season. There's a team that is a few years ahead of the Tigers in terms of rebuilding. Tons and tons of young talent in the Braves system. The move to Suntrust has been a windfall for ownership so I think they are on the verge of spending some serious $ on talent. Things are looking up for the Bravos.

But yeah, the nineties through mid oughts were an awesome time to experience Braves baseball. There may well never be another franchise that wins 14 straight division titles.

I'll believe that they'll spend serious money when I see it. We are currently not in the top 50% of payroll and I havent seen a ton of signs that they plan to change that yet. MLB is set-up that if you just field a team -any team- an owner makes money. They aren't Marlins bad in doing that, but this will be the 4th straight Braves team with a losing record. We haven't been to an NCLS in 16 years (and even longer since we won one).

I hope you're right, but I haven't seen it yet.
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• 1998 Braves - Best SR of all time? Didn't win WS
          Didn't even win the NL, and if they had, they would have been destroyed by the 1998 Yankees....as the 1999 Braves were.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• The Tigers got 5 full hits
            Well, Kluber does that to a lot of teams. Dude makes Greg Maddux look like Pascual Perez (AA, Wiz: Hi!).

They should be more ashamed of scoring 5 runs in their last 6 games against the Indians. That said, they're bludgeoning teams. The streak started off with a win in Boston, then they beat the Royals in a 3-game series at home by a combined 20-0. The Royals managed 18 hits for the SERIES.

Today would seem like a day the streak could end -- Clevinger is usually run-of-the-mill. But even he's been on fire -- in 4 of his last 5 starts he hasn't given up a run and the Indians have won by shutout, including 11-0 against Detroit and this Buck Farmer fella.

Crazy. I'm not even an Indians fan, but my wife and son are really into them this year including our first family Tribe game that ended with a Yan Gomes walk-off 3-run blast to beat the Rockies...yes, THAT Yan Gomes.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
              Indian fans suck. They sell out for the Clowns and draw like shit for a really good team. I'd guess 20k for tonight.
              It boggles my mind that so many people continue to dump thousands of dollars annually just for a chance to watch the Browns.

Indians have averaged close to 25,000. That's better than some other recent years but in the bottom third of the league. That said only nine teams average over 31,500. And of those a decent number are nowhere near capacity (Dodgers & Yankees).

Comment

• I have a Willie Mays Hayes tee-shirt.
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Meanwhile Verlander had went 8 innings and gave up one hit last night in a win. He is continuing his dominance of the second half. This might be the best he's pitched since 2011.

Maybe in 2020 the projected #3 starter may see the bigs for the Tigers, he was the "gem" of that deal.

Comment

• That said only nine teams average over 31,500. And of those a decent number are nowhere near capacity (Dodgers & Yankees).
                    As it relates to the Indians, however, they deliberately lowered their capacity from 43K to 34K.

I will say this -- it's way more expensive than I thought it would be to go to an Indians game and get decent seats. I mean, depending on the night it's $15 a ticket for crap seats. Anything between the foul poles is at least $60. I'm sure those are market rate and probably even cheap -- it's just been a few years since I actually had to buy tickets to a game (ah, the halcyon days of private practice).

The people spending money on the Browns are idiots. The Muni lots represent humanity at its absolute nadir.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                      Indian fans suck.
                      :D
                      Atlanta, GA

Comment

I can't tell you how much I miss Glavine, Smoltz, Maddux, Chipper, Gant, Justice and the rest.

It's like I'm a prisoner who in the somewhat recent past was fed filet mignon and lobster and am now eating mayonnaise sandwiches on moldy bread. If I had never been fed the steak to begin with, the agony wouldn't be so exacerbated. The memory of having a competent team in Atlanta and looking at what we have now is depressing as all fuck. It's like Alabama football. Without Coach Bryant, the Shula years wouldn't have been such a kick in the jibs.
                        I could never watch the Braves, even when they were good. Same for the Cubs.

It all goes back to when the early days of cable when WGN showed the cubs, TBS showed the Braves, and the only other thing you could watch was the local market team and a Sunday Game of the Week.

In the mid 80s when the Coast Guard sent me to south Ga and the Braves were the local market so I had two choices to watch baseball, Cubs or Braves. Or worse yet, when the Cubs were playing the Braves, there was the same shitty baseball game on two channels. Both teams sucked and being a Detroit guy, I had no interest in the National League. It made it tough to be a baseball fan.
                        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• National League baseball is still almost impossible for me to watch.

Comment

• Tribe up 3-1 after 1. At this point, I'm not sure Detroit has enough offense to win.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                              I could never watch the Braves, even when they were good. Same for the Cubs.

It all goes back to when the early days of cable when WGN showed the cubs, TBS showed the Braves, and the only other thing you could watch was the local market team and a Sunday Game of the Week.

In the mid 80s when the Coast Guard sent me to south Ga and the Braves were the local market so I had two choices to watch baseball, Cubs or Braves. Or worse yet, when the Cubs were playing the Braves, there was the same shitty baseball game on two channels. Both teams sucked and being a Detroit guy, I had no interest in the National League. It made it tough to be a baseball fan.

I started following the Braves when Eddie Matthews was the manager. That was the pre-TBS days. Things were generally rough. Things got a bit better at times with Bobby Cox' first stint and when Joe Torre was manager. By the time Ted bought the team and would spend some money, we had some great teams starting about the time of Bobby Cox's second run as manager.

Comment

I started following the Braves when Eddie Matthews was the manager. That was the pre-TBS days. Things were generally rough. Things got a bit better at times with Bobby Cox' first stint and when Joe Torre was manager. By the time Ted bought the team and would spend some money, we had some great teams starting about the time of Bobby Cox's second run as manager.
                                Too late by then. Those horrid early-mid eighties teams set the tone soured me on them forever.

What did Micheal Jackson and Rafael Ramirez have in common?

They both wore a glove on one hand for no apparent reason.
                                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Working...
                                X