Football Spring Practice aka Thorn in the SEC Side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this insight from mgoblog interesting:

Those in possession of MGoCookies for remembering stuff will remember that a recent recruiting roundup pointed out that MI LB Antjuan Simmons was told he was being recruited as a SAM and then compared to, yes, Jabrill Peppers.

To me this implies that Michigan will be altering its defense to look more like the OSUs and MSUs and PSUs of the world. Those teams mostly run "quarters", which means they have two deep safeties. Varieties of this defense that roll the safeties close to the line of scrimmage often have a coverage-oriented linebacker called "star" who walks out over the slot. That's usually the strong side, thus he is a SAM linebacker… but not the kind of SAM linebacker Jake Ryan was. Same hybrid space player, different system around him?

I didn't really like DJD's defense after the cruel reality of it's ineffectiveness v. osu's power spread offense. That reminded me of the oh so many Jim Herrmann debacles where he just got schooled by some opposing OC. He had a lot more of those than he had of dominant defenses against the likes of Purdue's spread in that day and time.

Anyway, I love the quarter's D with the potential of Peppers playing this role as a guy who is going to utterly crush QBs looking to run the read or, even the triple option where the QB decides he is going to try to throw it. And, oh yes, M needs a really good LB (or Star) for 2016 ...... that would appear to be Peppers.
    Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; March 1, 2016, 07:48 PM.
    There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

Loved the way Harbaugh handled the reporters. Thought it was awesome. He was playing with them giving simple answers for stupid questions. Between his satellite camps and now this vacation practice he's turned into the talk of the college football nation.

When's the last time you can remember a spring practice getting this much national attention. This dude is awesome.
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Still a Meathead:

I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

Aw darn... Bielema, Dantonio and Jones can't be there.

Too bad, because I heard that Harbaugh had special name tags made for them that said, "Meathead, Mike, and Whatsisname".

All three are interchangeable, of course....
          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Don't forget Tennessee, Butch "We are not all rapists " Jones!
            "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

"All" being the operative word there.

Comment

HARBAUGH!! takes a shot at Butch Jones. I fucking love this guy.

Comment

I get that. He's the Trump of CFB coaches.
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                  Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Yep. WINNERS! We are gonna do so much WINNING, we're gonna get tired of winning.

Comment

But seriously... Jones needs to just worry about keeping his players from raping people.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        HARBAUGH!! takes a shot at Butch Jones. I fucking love this guy.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CoachJim4...72074517708800
                        He's friggin awesome
                        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

LOL

That's the best Harbaugh tweet yet.

Comment

here's a good brief writeup about the QBs from Mlive. Interesting bits about Speight. I thought he would have a chance at being the back up this year.

John O'Korn looked steady
                            A good portion of the quarterback play Tuesday was still up and down. But as time wore on, O'Korn did look like Michigan's most accurate passer in 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 drills.
                            When forced to throw the ball in traffic, O'Korn's accuracy was just more consistent. It wasn't perfect, but his touch was better and his ability to deliver throws on time looked superior to what we saw from Wilton Speight or Shane Morris.
                            That's probably not a shocker to anyone. But it was notable. The deep ball will be a work in progress for O'Korn and his wideouts, and it's still important to note that Jehu Chesson is still rehabbing an injury. But Jake Butt still catches everything underneath, and Amara Darboh can still haul in most anything thrown in his area. O'Korn is figuring that out.
                            As for the other guys? There are times when Speight will uncork a beautiful downfield throw that's absolutely on the money, on time and right where it needs to be. And then, a minute later, he's getting picked off by Peppers or Jourdan Lewis over the middle. There's potential there, no doubt. When his head catches up with his arm, he can throw a really pretty ball. Consistency, of course, will be his mission.
                            If I had to pick one word to describe Shane Morris at this point, I think I'd use "streaky." If he finds a rhythm, he can really look sharp. He still has a cannon, and he can still fit throws into tight windows. But if something rattles him, things get shaky and his overall accuracy is the first thing to go. He'll rush a pass over the top of a receiver's head, or just over shoot someone downfield. Physically, Morris still absolutely has everything one needs to be a Big Ten quarterback. When he's confident, he looks great. But that seems like it changes on a dime. And when he's not, things get a little shaky.
                            As for Brandon Peters and Alex Malzone? I'd love to report more, but we only saw them on the field in rotations for an hour. So, in reality, there really wasn't much to report. Peters is still learning, obviously, and Michigan's taking it slow with him. Malzone's only in his second year, so more of the same there.
                            F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

Michigan and Harbaugh gain an unlikely supporter ... at least when it comes to Michigan v Tennessee.

I'd love that matchup. I'd even agree to go there first, then bring them back to A2.
                              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

I don't know, Liney. Tennessee could be a contender in the SEC East. How can Michigan ever compete with that! :D

Comment

Working...
                                X