B1G/NCAA basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hack is right.
    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Missouri coach Frank Haith has verbally agreed to become the next coach at Tulsa, a source close to the situation told ESPN.com on Thursday.

Haith, who was traveling to Tulsa on Thursday afternoon to finalize the deal, will replace Danny Manning, who left for Wake Forest earlier this month.

A surprise hire by Missouri out of Miami three years ago, Haith has led the Tigers to the NCAA tournament in two of his three seasons and has a 76-28 record at Missouri.

The Tigers went to the NIT this past season and will lose Jordan Clarkson, Jabari Brown and Earnest Ross.
      Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Following a meeting of its Legislative Council on Tuesday, the NCAA announced the removal of meal and snack restrictions on Division I athletes, according to NCAA associate director of communications Michelle Brutlag Hosick.

Whereas previously student-athletes were afforded only three meals per day, they will now have unlimited access to meals provided by on-campus facilities. The privilege will extend to walk-on athletes as well.

“Today we took action to provide meals to student-athletes incidental to participation,” council chair Mary Mulvenna said. “I think the end result is right where it needs to be.”

All changes are pending subject to the approval of the Division I Board of Directors. It will meet on April 24 and vote on whether to adopt the suggestions.

Comment

• B1G/NCAA basketball

The final spring football attendance figures are in. And the Big Ten accounted for three of the nation’s top six crowds. The Big Ten’s largest? That would be Penn State, which welcomed 72,000 to get a first look at James Franklin’s team.
          Here are the top spring football attendance figures this season. Thanks, Cleveland.com!
          1. Alabama 73,506 (free admission)
          2. Penn State 72,000 (free)
          3. Auburn 70,645 ($5)
          4. Tennessee 68,548 (free)
          5. Nebraska 61,772 ($10)
          6. Ohio State 61,058 ($5, originally $20 and $12)
          In the Big Ten, the top three teams, the Nittany Lions, Cornhuskers and Buckeyes, outdrew the other 11 teams combined. Penn State, Nebraska and Ohio State drew 194,830 fans. The rest of the Big Ten drew 124,934 fans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Astonishing.

Comment

• That $20 admission was a joke. They lowered it to $5 the day before the game. Probably were worried that the crowd was going to be much smaller than normal. Turned out to be a gorgeous day though.

Comment

• UNL was actually $10 or $15 depending upon location.

Comment

• Weather was lousy for a week straight till the day of the spring game for M where we had nice weather, that certainly hurt some but you'd still think a hell of a lot more people would care about M football...

Look at M's win/loss record for the past six years: 3-8, 5-7, 7-6, 11-2, 8-5, 7-6... The casual fan won't have interest in this program in April until M is regularly competing for B10 titles, playing in Major Bowls and winning 10+ games annually. Despite that, that's an awfully pathetic showing by our so-called fans.

Comment

• It wasn't a "spring game". It was a glorified practice. Why the hell should I make plans to travel to AA to watch that? (especially when the team sucks so bad and that effort was reflected in the scrimmage)

Comment

• ``So-called'' fans for a ``so-called'' football team, perhaps?

Comment

• Stan makes a good point that I think resonates among most of the alums in my age group or close to it about M sports.

M's Athletic Department has demonstrated beyond a doubt that they have not a clue of how to market M sports to a broad range of potential consumers. This stupid shit that Carr started when a "Spring Game" became an item of not playing one was stupid. He should have been told to sit down and shut up.

In my view there is a distinct possibility that by not marketing to deep pocketed alums age 50 and older, something I sense is happening, is that two generations of future M fans is going to be lost. Brandon is certainly not listening to the voices in this market segment and I don't think Martin did either.

Were not coming to the Big House anymore to watch a poorly prepared football team get its ass handed to it on a regular basis. We're definitely not going to travel to away games to see that. I'm not going to games to watch stupid vidoes roll across multi-million dollar LCD scoreboards, rocket man sail into the center of the field or listen to 105 decibel shit music getting pumped out of giant speakers while the band has to be miked to hear them. Jeeeezus.
                        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• It seems like the "younger" fan base isn't coming either, as I believe the athletic department has been sending reminder e-mails out to just about everyone to purchase season tickets.

It is absolutely amazing to me that the one sentiment every UM fan seems to hold is an utter abhorrence and hatred of Brandon. How he still has a job is beyond me, as he has done seemingly everything possible to alienate and turn off the fan base. He can't leave soon enough. Forget about Hoke. As long as Brandon is in charge, the football program will continue its downward death spiral. And god forbid if he sets his sights on basketball and hockey!

Comment

• Mary Sue Coleman must still like him.

I feel like the only way that we would get rid of Brandon is with a public revolt that would do serious damage to the program in the short term. Or, if he runs for the Senate and wins. A lot of people think that is a possibility.

Comment

• Depends on what you call ``serious damage''. Clearly empty sections of the stadium would qualify for a lot of people, and that's in play this year given student-section ticket sales, and the increase in ticketed no-shows that will probably go along with it.

Comment

• Brandon will fire the coach and save his job if that happens. I think that you would need an organized boycott from big donors for MSC to fire Brandon. JMO

Comment

Working...
                                X