Clear All

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Mighty fine work JD

Comment

Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
          Mighty fine work JD
          Thank you. I'll be covering the B1G Tourney as well. I'm excited!

Comment

Shots from last night's Softball victory vs. Maryland. I'll be covering the whole series.

The team has won 12 in a row. The baseball team has won 18 in a row. Not sure if I'll get to cover them, though.

Comment

Highlights from Friday's win vs. the bucknuts

Michigan won again today, clinching the outright B1G title. I wasn't there but will get at least one more game in tomorrow.

Comment

I shot my first baseball game. Michigan lost and it was cold & rainy. That said, I still had some fun.

Comment

This is an incredible 10K run in the NCAA men's Championships by Ben Flanagan of Michigan. He comes from behind to beat the favorite ...... Vincent Kiprop, from Alabama no less ....... with a kick that is breath taking. I ran this event my Freshman year at M but never made the varsity with a pedestrian 10K time of just under 35 minutes time. The best among us were running under 33. Needless to say, performances have improved since the 60s. Flanagan posted a 28:30. The world record is well under 27 minutes and held by a Nairobian. Keep in mind, you're going 10,000m at about a 4:40 per mile clip at anything around 28m for the distance. You are hauling at that pace. Grueling.

Anyway, whipping the boy from Bama in the final 100 yards is sweet.

I couldn't embed the video because it's not from YouTube but rather from Twitter so, the link is to the story. There are several clips: you can watch most of the race or just the amazing last 100 yards where Flanagan kicks some Alabama, Kenyan ass. Huzzah!

In the before times, I ran cross country for a few years after I realized professional careers in soccer or basketball were rather unlikely. I wasn't very good—my career peaked with a 19:59 5K in a JV race—but I was and remain a foolishly competitive person, so I'd dig deep and "sprint" the final leg of every race, known as the "kick." Then I'd bend over and hurl, because that's what happens to normal people who run a substantial distance and finish by pushing their body to its limit. Ben Flanagan is not normal. The senior from Kitchener, Ontario—break out the Stauskas flag—won Michigan men's track & field's second individual national championship since 2007 with a monster kick, flying past pre-race favorite Vincent Kiprop of Alabama over the final stretch of the 10,000-meter final. BEN FLANAGAN WITH THE CRAZY KICK FTW & #ncaaTF 10K ?! pic.twitter.com/agTOqynodF — NCAA Track & Field (@NCAATrackField) June 7, 2018 The run itself is impressive. Then the truly impressive bit: instead of collapsing in a heap of sweat and vomit, Flanagan pumps his arms, then finds the camera so he can thank his mom and a host of others. He doesn't even seem particularly winded.  "Where's my mom?" - @bennyflanagan#GoBlue pic.twitter.com/F0x7qAjCFT — Michigan Athletics (@UMichAthletics) June 7, 2018 This capped a memorable season for Flanagan on and off the track; yesterday, he was one of two Michigan athletes—along with Brienne Minor (women's tennis)—to earn Big Ten Outstanding Sportsmanship Awards, and he received it for some very important work: Flanagan, a graduate student pursuing a Master of Social Work degree, closed out his Michigan career by winning the national 10,000-meter title at the NCAA Outdoor Championships in a dramatic come-from-behind victory on Wednesday (June 6). After running down the pre-meet favorite over the final 100 meters to claim victory by less than a half-second, Flanagan turned to the ESPN camera and -- in a quintessential demonstration of his sportsmanship -- began thanking his parents, his teammates and his coaches while hugging several of his competitors in congratulations. The national title capped off a 2017-18 season that also saw him earn All-America, Big Ten Runner of the Year and Great Lakes Region Runner of the Year awards in cross country, and claimed the Big Ten Outdoor 10,000-meter title. The native of Kitchener, Ontario, is also a champion of mental health issues, putting his graduate studies to good use even before the completion of his degree. As a member of the Michigan Athletics Student-Athletes Advisory Council, he serves as the co-representative for mental health. In that role he acts as a liaison between student-athletes at Michigan and the Performance Psychology and Athletic Counseling offices, and helps organize events for student-athletes to promote mental health support. He also spearheaded a fundraising campaign leading up to the NCAA Cross Country Championships that raised $1,000 for men's mental health awareness and involved other teams from around the nation. Shoutout to Flanagan, his mom, and his intestinal fortitude.

There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• To post a tweet click on the little arrow in the top right corner of the tweet and click on Copy link to Tweet then click on the blue underlined A at the top of the reply post and then the Tweet symbol. Paste that between the two tweet boxes and post

Screenshot 2018-06-08 at 9.44.44 PM.png
                      Screenshot 2018-06-08 at 9.45.38 PM.png
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.
                      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• He's from Kitchener, Ontario, which is where I live

Comment

• Who asked ya?
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Something new for me: I photographed the Michigan Volleyball team,

Comment

• Fabulous!
                              There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• good lord
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X