DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old January 2nd, 2018, 03:27 PM   #1
Jeff Buchanan

Arrow Michigan Football, Team 139, 2018 Season

I had to think about this post for a while …….. I unstuck the Outback Bowl thread and marked it accordingly. I’m mostly done with that. So, I’m posting this in a new thread.

But, I was there; the weather was miserable for watching this miserable game – from both teams - in Raymond James Stadium. It was marginally OK but not a whole lot better if you watched this miserable performance of Michigan football and football game in general in the warmth of the club level with plenty of expensive booze and on the big screen TVs all over the place.

That’s exactly what my wife did with Doug Dillon’s wife. Doug and I suffered out in the elements through it all. We had a nice tale-gate breakfast before the game covered but in the pouring rain and falling temps and had another meal planed after it when the temp had dropped to 43 with 20kt winds. We left instead.

If you want to read my thoughts on the game, I love this guy (Bronx Blue) who posts Best and Worst at mgoblo, here’s the link if you haven’t seen it. Sums the game up nicely and it’s a good representation of my take as well.

http://mgoblog.com/diaries/best-and-...south-carolina

I will mention a couple of things that bear on the long term and stood out both watching and then reading the post-game stuff yesterday evening and again this morning:

Michigan played with ˝ of its OL out, Kugler, C and JBB – RT, not that they were world beaters anyway. This precipitated some shifting around; from LT to RT the starters were: Cole, Onwenu, Spinalis, Ruiz, Runyan. Downgrading from an already poorly performing OL to this make-shift one was the principle reason M had no run game. 2.9ypc isn’t going to win Jim Harbaugh and his O any football games. Pass-Pro was actually OK and it looked like they worked a lot on this at the expense of the run game. JMO.

It starts from the run game, though, with Harbaughffense. The whole house of cards comes down to the run game ….. Every opposing DC knows it and schemes to stop it. If you can do that, M craters on poor QB play and has done so in all it's losses. Muschcamp did it and he had both the season long scheme and the horses at LB and S to do it. This needs to change and you'll see my comments in the next section on what I think needs to be done.

The benefit of being in the stands is that you can see the opposing defense’s coverage. Usc plays a quarter’s, quarter’s half scheme. I looked at it before the game and it is exactly what they did with some zone, C2 mixed in. S’s are routinely ten to twelve yards from the LOS. CB’s play some man but mostly they give a lot of space to receivers. On passing plays, once ID'ed by the S's, they'd bale, join up with the CBs and this approach provided excellent pass coverage.

In the run game, M was constantly banging it’s head against the wall by running into this coverage. Not a pass play? Step up and make it 9 or even 10 in the box with the free S, not far behind. We were sitting low in the stands about mid-field. When the teams matched up on the field where you could see it, rarely did the OL get push and make some space for Evans/Higdon. This isn't a physicality issue; it's too many defenders doing good run fits at the POA. On the multiple run plays I watched from my vantage point or on replay on the jumbotron, on inside power the guards never got to the second level. This had to be frustrating for both backs. A lot of this had to do with how Usc played M but then again, M should be adjusting. They did little if any of that (see immediately below). This needs to change and you'll see my comments in the next section on what I think needs to be done.

On outside run plays, several were stymied for no gain or a 2y loss by back-side pursuit. That is a blocking assignment issue. Others were attacked by unblocked Ss and LBs pouring past poor downfield blocks by TEs and Tackles who appeared to run right past the guys they needed to block.

M had one series – first possession of the third quarter - where they took advantage of USc’s coverage and moved the ball passing it in front of this coverage to the sidelines to the WRs or just over the heads of the Ss to the TEs. Peters looked good on this series. It worked. Mason scored on a 2y plunge and M was up 16-6.

Michigan scored one more time in the third to make it 19-9. They then proceeded to turn the ball over 4 more times: 2 Fumbles – one super critical by Higdon at the Usc 4 with M about to put the game out of reach at 26-9.

The second fumble was later in the third after a stop by M’s D by Eubanks at the M 21. As talent pointed out, it appeared to be the Eubanks fumble on a hand-off to him during an inexplicable play that shifted the momentum to Usc, who promptly ran up 20 unanswered points to win it 26-19. There was a noticeable deflation by the M offense – it really did crater after that fumble and looked more inept in the 4th than they did in the first half. That played right into a gassed D that was on the field way too much because of the offensive ineptitude in run blocking, pass catching and pass throwing. M had 9, 3 and outs, NINE.

Shea Patterson has a very good chance of taking the starting job from Brandon Peters. That’s all I’m going to say about QB play in the Outback Bowl and who will start v. ND in 2018.

Whatever the offensive scheme that Harbaugh is trying to create at M is, it’s not working. Gamecock players noted post game that they knew exactly what M was going to do based on player groupings and formations before the snap. M held true to tendencies and never tried to make plays to break those tendencies. After the first two M series, the general comment from Usc defenders was: “we got this.” They did.

This is classic Carr, Hoke manball. We will out execute you. If Harbaugh is cut from that cloth and continues on this pathway and produces predictably bad on field and season results with it, fans are going to bail in droves.

What to do …….

First, take a deep breath. This is where M was predicted to finish outside of the rainbows being blown out of the unicorn’s ass crowd at mgoblow: 8-5. Few here touted much better than 9-3 regular season and 8-4 was probably the median.

Second, recognize that Harbaugh is not the genius most of us thought he would be when he showed up in December of 2015. What M and their fans have, right now, is an $8M pay-day for what Hoke probably could have done in 3 more years at ˝ the cost.

Third, talk about the changes that are needed…… I know for a fact people inside Schembechler Hall read shit on the Web. I'm not dumb enough to think it makes a difference but you never know.

(1) M’s main passing schemes suck. They are too limited and too slow to develop, risk sacks - taking more than a three, maybe 3.5 count to get the ball out is too long - put the QBs at risk because of that and depend too heavily on hard to make NFL level throws off complicated reads. Harbaugh shoulders some, if not all, of the blame for that; hiring Pep Hamilton was a bad idea. Bring in some new thinking here. Advantage what Patterson might bring to the table as a QB.

(2) I don’t think JH has a good handle on college football. He was successful at both the college and NFL levels but I can explain why and that was in the past. New kind of college game and he’s been very slow to adapt. Talent used the term dubious when he offered his opinion about M football and Harbaugh’s ability to recruit and play championship level CFB. I’m joining talent in that opinion post 2017 and what I saw out there in Tampa. It's change/adapt or die in today's CFB.

(3) While the players share some of the blame, the coaching staff’s inability to produce a serviceable OL, in my mind, anyway, is cause for holding those responsible for that accountable. M has not had a 1000y RB since 2011 and anyone with eyeballs knows the OL play has not been championship caliber. It’s not my job to tell JH what he needs to do in this regard; at $8M he damn well better be able to see the problem and do what is necessary to fix it.

(4) We really have no idea how the play-calling is developed and how it works on game day but whatever it is that JH has designed and installed, whatever it is that is used to get the plays in to the QB, it’s terrible (hand-off to Eubanks to fumble is case in point). In his post game, JH said he knew he “didn’t have the right personnel in on that play (and) he should have “called a time out.” Peters knew something was wrong. WTF! Two smart guys don’t call a time out?

My opinion is this is evidence that, if this play was a designed play, it was awful; it also demonstrates that the way plays are called in and how QBs are taught to deal with a bad play call is a mess. Change it. Once again …… It’s not my job to tell JH what he needs to do in this regard; at $8M he damn well better be able to see the problem and do what is necessary to fix it.

(5) Warde Manuel better be concerned about season ticket holders renewing their seats for 2018 and beyond. Paying the seat license fees adds insult to injury. He should be in Harbaugh’s ear about it. Right now, M football sucks and is nearly as bad as it was in Hokes 3rd season; not quite but close. Fans will be thinking hard about continuing to pay to watch Michigan football finish 3rd or 4th in the East and get seeded in the Pinstripe bowl in 20 degrees and on a snow covered field in Yankee Stadium in 2019. That's because fans aren’t going to go and watch the performance that was delivered in the Outback bowl in 2018 in only slightly better weather ...... but it was 70 and sunny on the weekend prior.

Finally, there are a bunch of rumors out there about staff changes. It looks like Frey IS going to land with Taggart at FSU as their OC with Harbaugh’s blessing (wow, questionable move on Taggart’s part). This despite information to the contrary after the rumor first appeared. Frey is reportedly in Tallahassee today. Dan Enos’s name has come up as an OC candidate. He's reportedly considering an offer or is already (undisclosed) on the staff in some other capacity. Enos was MSU’s QB in 87-89 and has held coaching positions at Arkansas, among others, and was HC at CMU. The consensus on him as an OC is not good. He is Mike DeBord Jr. and signals Harbaugh is committed to what appears to be not working ...... Carr/Hoke manball.

There is a poster at mgoblog that also runs the blog Touch the Banner. Rumors are that he has insider status. While he tends to talk in general terms, what he says turns out to be accurate. He has posted that there are coaching changes on the offense in the wind: ”expect relatively significant coaching changes on the offense.” I think I too could make this prediction and be right. Heh.

There’s also a rumor about Don Brown leaving for a HC position. I’ve not seen this substantiated anywhere else but a single post at mgoblog. The other two I’ve seen from several sources.

Hopium feeds me for the 2019 football season but I’m going in with a much less tolerant eye for Jim Harbaugh, my season tickets and paying for seat licenses past next season.

Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; January 2nd, 2018 at 09:56 PM.
Jeff Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 2nd, 2018, 03:49 PM   #2
THE STEE

Peters was locked on receivers the entire game. so sad to see this team on the field
Old January 2nd, 2018, 04:19 PM   #3
froot loops

Enos was a good coach at State, he hasn't done much since. He was the main recruiting guy at the beginning of Dantonio's tenure. He was credited for getting State into schools in Michigan that were not known to be good to MSU. In my opinion he would be a good get, a lot of Spartan fans have pined for Enos in the last few years. That was more of a statement on the current coordinators than anything else.

Last edited by froot loops; January 2nd, 2018 at 04:31 PM.
froot loops is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 2nd, 2018, 04:44 PM   #4
Jeff Buchanan

Thanks for that input, Froot ...... opinions run about 2-1 that its a bad hire because, "M can get better." I'm not among that crowd.

There's also about a 2-1 split between, "needs a new offensive philosophy" (identity, scheme) and "hybrid the current scheme." I think there are decent arguments on both side. The first option, IMO, is hard to do and it's unlike Harbaugh to bring in a spready guy as his OC.

I also fully agree with your last comment. They (that would be Drevno, Hamilton and Jay Harbaugh) may not be bad coaches but, it seems to me and by what I've read about it, the way Harbaugh has them organized and how plays get developed pre-game, practiced and delivered to the QB in-game isn't working.

I'm not in favor of some big offensive philosophy change like M doing what Frost is probably going to do with Neb or what Brohm does at Purdue, but I do favor adaptation of the power run game to the current game of CFB or hybriding the power run game to incorporate more RPO; break tendencies and all that.

IMO, M isn't going to "out execute" anyone. They are not going to get the West coast guys like Darnell or Rosen to come to Michigan and run what I think is the kind of NFL type offense Harbauffense is. As well, M does not appear to be able to recruit the kind of grinding, 25 play backs Harbaughffense, in its current mode, needs. The most talented OLmen aren't lining up to sign with M either. All those things shout, think a little differently, Jim about where you want to take your O. Your current approach isn't working (and, given the above, it's not likely to either).

M can get decent, athletic, pro-style QBs. They got Patterson interested and he's a pistol guy. Tom Brady is more a pistol guy with the Patriots and has been for a while as Belichick adapted his pro-style offensive schemes to the kind of reads and throws that Brady can make.

So, as an M target, I see an innovative OC who can work with JH and offer some new ideas, maybe coming from a 2nd or third tier conference team that plays an offense that basis out of a power run game but has some new bells and whistles.

Maybe Enos is that guy.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 08:13 AM   #5
UMStan White

fuck any analysis of 2107. It doesn't matter anymore. Harbaugh is just one more coach in a long line who was successful elsewhere before coming to UM and having his pants pulled down at midfield. Analysize that phenomenum
UMStan White is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 3rd, 2018, 08:18 AM   #6
iam416

Jeez, this is depressing, even for me. I feel like the father in Breaking Away -- to paraphrase, "I didn't want you that tired and miserable, a little is all I ask."
Old January 3rd, 2018, 08:42 AM   #7
Cody_Russell

Patterson or McCaffrey. Can’t wait for 2018. Sorry Peters, someone is going to take “your job.”
This @ ND game is a must for Harbaugh.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 09:22 AM   #8
paul daugherity

The feeling amongst the fans reminds me of Year 3 under Hoke. Some hope deep in your heart that he can turn it around, but expecting that he won't, and just waiting for it to be played out.
paul daugherity is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 3rd, 2018, 09:59 AM   #9
Hannibal

I remember Enos being a very good recruiter at MSU. He was the guy kicking RichRod's ass in Detroit before he left for CMU. I don't have an opinion about him as an OC, but the stats at Arkansas are not very impressive. I wouldn't mind seeing him as a dedicated QB coach, but as an OC -- bleh.

We need a dedicated QB coach, OL coach, WR coach, RB coach, and a dedicated OC. Our coaching arranagement is a clusterufck and Harbaugh clearly can't be the head coach and coach the QBs. He got lucky with Andrew Luck. His QBs at Michigan have mostly been shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMStan White View Post
fuck any analysis of 2107. It doesn't matter anymore. Harbaugh is just one more coach in a long line who was successful elsewhere before coming to UM and having his pants pulled down at midfield. Analysize that phenomenum
There is a fog of arrogance and stupid hanging over Schembecler Hall. Guys do stuff that they wouldn't do when they are hungry and coaching at an underdog program. I'll bet that Harbaugh never had a shitty coaching arrangemen at Stanford or San Fran like he has at Michigan. A nepotism hire like Jay Harbaugh is the kind of thing that you would never do in the NFL or if you were taking over a 1-11 team. It is the kind of thing that you do when you think it is easy to win. I don't know why guys come to our program and then turn stupid, but they do.

Also, there is a schizm that has formed in the Michigan fan base between the fans who actually have expectations and those that don't. Or it could just be the impression that I get from reading too much mgoblog. If the latter group wins, then our football program has been fully basketball-ized.

Quote:
The feeling amongst the fans reminds me of Year 3 under Hoke. Some hope deep in your heart that he can turn it around, but expecting that he won't, and just waiting for it to be played out.
For me, it's worse. A lot worse. With Hoke, I knew deep down that he wouldn't be there for much longer. But with Harbaugh, we're stuck with him in the same way that ND is pretty much permanently stuck with Brian Kelly. The end of the Carr era and two really shitty hires have lowered our expectations to the point where an 8-5 guy won't get fired. And it's not like there's a savior out there. We could hire Jeff Brohm tomorrow and instead of coaching like he does at Purdue, he would hire his brother-in-law as the defensive coordinator and we would end up 4-8. Because when you become the coach at Michigan, you expect to throw your jockstrap out onto the field and just win.

Regardless, I think that there is a good chance that we will start grumbling about potential replacement for Harbaugh a year from now. By December of this year, Harbaugh will be 1-7 against MSU and OSU and headed to the Pinstripe Bowl or another Outback Bowl. I can't believe that the program that I grew up with has sunk to this level -- where it is acceptable to have a record against your rivals that is worse than John Cooper's against UM while never legitimately competing on a national level. At least John Cooper has some nationally elite teams, albeit with a tendency to choke badly.

Last edited by Hannibal; January 3rd, 2018 at 10:31 AM.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 3rd, 2018, 10:33 AM   #10
Jeff Buchanan

In other news:

Winovich is returning for his 5th year based on his twitter feed.

There appears to be a major overhaul of the offensive staff on going. Lots of names out there. Greg Roman's name has appeared .... again. Enos, as already mentioned. Some others not worth mentioning.

Reportedly, Drevno, Frey and Hamilton are all gone having accepted other positions. Frey to FSU is pretty solid. The other two I don't know. That news is very early and is not terribly reliable. The Greg Roman to M though is being reported from several sources.

Roman currently with the Ravens, was with JH in SF and, according to one report talking about him in conjunction with rumors he's headed to M, is a pistol guy. If that's actually true this is pretty significant.

This whole thing may have been going on for a while and could be related to M's and Patterson's mutual interests in his transfer. That Jim's brother, John, is the HC of the Ravens and that there has been chatter that he may get fired fits right in with this whole scenario I'm concocting.

Rumors of Brown's departure aren't getting any traction but Chris Partridge to Bama is.

There's also been chatter that the shitty performance of the team in the Outback Bowl may have had something to do with the coaching churning that was underway the weeks before the game. Guys about to lose their jobs or who know they are about to get a pink slip don't really commit to get stuff done. I remember when RR took the team to play v. Mississippi St that he and his assistants all knew they were gone even though it had not yet been officially announced. The game was a disaster and the Outback Bowl had a similar feel to it, at least for me. Something just wasn't right in that game.

Fun to speculate and if all this comes to pass, great news for the offense which has sucked during JH's tenure. It appears he knows it and is holding the right guys accountable.

Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; January 3rd, 2018 at 10:37 AM.
Jeff Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 3rd, 2018, 10:36 AM   #11
Hannibal

If that's true about the coaching staff, then it is the second example of the team laying an egg because the coaches were mentally checked out. The first was the 2015 OSU debacle. It's Harbaugh's job to recognize this. South Carolina fired their OC and a grad assistant called the plays. If our offensive coaches were sure to leave, then at least one of them should have been pushed out the door so that somebody else could clock in and prepare.

Last edited by Hannibal; January 3rd, 2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 10:41 AM   #12
Hannibal

So where is the Spring Break vacation this year? Japan? Egypt? The Great Wall of China? Antarctica? I want my team to be the most culturally educated 8-5 team in the country!
Old January 3rd, 2018, 10:44 AM   #13
Jeff Buchanan

I get what you're saying, Hanni ...... if I understand JH's personality, he values loyalty and that goes both ways. I have to respect he's working to give those he hired and has now had to fire a soft landing when they are terminated.

That approach is not the norm anymore. You fuck up and don't deliver in just about any work setting there's no ceremony when you get fired. Security clears out your desk and puts all your stuff on the door step and then ushers you out the door. The boss is rarely involved ..... his people take care of the dirty work.

I don't think JH isn't going to do that.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 11:00 AM   #14
froot loops

Harbaugh's approach to coaching staffs is puzzling, by season 4 you should have some sort of stability and there shouldn't be a constant churn. I don't think he came in with a great staff and has been dealing with it ever since. I don't think losing Don Brown would be a big loss.
froot loops is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 3rd, 2018, 11:04 AM   #15
hack

Every single one of them is replaceable. I hope plenty of them are indeed replaced, though mostly on the offensive side.
hack is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old January 3rd, 2018, 11:24 AM   #16
Rocky Bleier

Rumors of Brown's departure aren't getting any traction but Chris Partridge to Bama is.

Satan must have noticed how well Partridge has recruited Georgia. Now that Kirby Smart is kicking ass on the recruiting trail, Satan must have felt the need to get someone in there that could compete in the state and thrown a ton of money at him. I wonder if that will affect players' salaries?
Old January 3rd, 2018, 11:24 AM   #17
Jeff Buchanan

This was in the Bowl thread but I had to chuckle at it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
No amount of hindsight or revisionist history can change the fact that Harbaugh has fallen miles short of reasonable expectations. He has failed to finish better than 3rd in the Big Ten East and he is 1-5 against OSU and MSU. Anyone who says "yup, that's toally what I would expect out of an elite coach" should apply for a job at mgoblog.
I think this is pretty accurate. Especially the part about mgoblow- heh.

talent made a post just above this, again in the Bowl thread, that basically pointed out that it was impossible for Harbaugh to not fall short of the unrealistically high expectations M fans had for him.

Despite strong comments to the contrary from many posters I've read, I still believe that there are reasonable explanations for the poor offense during JH's tenure but, I also think Harbaugh was slow to react to the predictable falling off the cliff that was the 2017 season. Signs were there in 2016 and in most of M's other 6 losses he recorded in his first two seasons. Hanni, to his credit, spoke to most of them as they occurred.

If the rumors are true, if the offense undergoes the changes anyone who watches M football knows it needs to undergo, that's exciting news. However, if it's anywhere near a wholesale change, and I don't think it will be given what I do know, it's going to be another fucking transition year.

If Harbaugh simply hybridizes his power run game, keeps his focus on known and understood blocking for the OL, keeps his reliance on TEs and FBs as important contributors, and then adds some RPO while redesigning the passing schemes to optimize quick releases for the QB, the transition won't be as significant.

Even then, this represents a pretty big change in the offense and I'm not entirely convinced this is all going to happen. So, once again, if it does come to pass, expectations are going to be through the roof for 2018, will raise again after the spring game where some of this is shown and continue until M shits the bed v. ND, MSU and osu. I'm entirely ready for that and have already expressed that I'm looking at 2018 and HARBAUGH!!!with a skeptical eye and as it relates to my decision to continue buying season tickets in 2019.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 11:28 AM   #18
Hannibal

Brown would be a huge loss. The defense this year was mostly great, and the weaknesses were easily acceptable for a team that lost so many starters off of last year's squad.

I looked at the posession chart for yesterday, and USC's first 11 posessions went like this:

3 plays, punt
3 plays, punt
fumble
four plays, fumble
3 plays, punt
5 plays, FG
3 plays, punt
3 plays, punt
5 plays, punt
3 plays, punt
3 plays, punt

11 posessions. That's close to the mean for a full game. USC ended up with 17 posessions for the game. When I speak of acceptable excuses and legitimate mitigating circumstances, the occasional failings of a defense with 10-ish new starters are precisely what I'm talking about. I really hope that the defensive staff stays and that we don't lose Partridge. But it would be just like Harbaugh to lose one of his proven elite guys after bringing in two million dollar coaches to fuck up the offense.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 11:45 AM   #19
Hannibal

Exactly what were the "unreasonable" expectations for Harbaugh? That he would beat Ohio State and win the B1G East at least once? How is that unreasonable? I don't recall anyone here predicting that Harbaugh would go 33-3 and win three B1G titles to start his tenure at Michigan. If you say that Michigan can't be Nick Saban's Alabama, then you're knocking down strawmen. But I did expect at least a .500 record in rivalry games by now with one trip to Indianapolis. I also expected that Harbaugh would eventually be earning a 50/50 split with OSU. Even Gus Malzahn has a respectable 2-3 record against The Nick and the combo of Perles and Saban managed to beat Bo, Mo, and Lloyd 35% of the time over 17 years, and all but one of those victories came against UM teams with winning records. We, on the other hand, have a 15% winning percentage against our rivals in the past 10 years and those vicories were 9, 2, and 6 point wins against teams that finished 3-9, 7-6, and 6-7. It's disgraceful.

Last edited by Hannibal; January 3rd, 2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 11:52 AM   #20
Jeff Buchanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack View Post
SF did have a bunch of young players entering their prime, yeah. Fair point. If he was overrated, it wasn't just by Michigan fans. The NFL community drooled all over him. Without question his out-front personality probably inflates his reputation, or has until now. But what all this suggests is that when given the right ingredients Harbaugh knows what to do with them. That makes him a good or maybe potentially great coach. Which ought to be a big step up from what Michigan's had in the past. But for now there won't be talk about whether he belongs in that elite category. None of that now.

But, we'll see. He may be about to do exactly what most of the doubters here want him to do. Some parallels to when Hoke ditched Borges for Nussmeier. Harbaugh's changes will need to work. If he does clean out the offensive staff and the offense isn't miles better next year, with a proven QB with elite talent, then I'm just going to shrug my shoulders and assume Michigan football is kinda done.

I still want to know more about the in-game decision-making process. Sometimes he's handing off on second-and-10 as well as on third-and-10, and then instead of kicking an FG at the goal line on that key third down in the fourth, he suddenly did a reversal of approach and put it all on Peters, who rolled out and stared down the one receiver in the vicinity. He was staring down WRs all game. It doesn't feel like there's a rigorous approach to real-time judgement calls, but that's admittedly just a guess.

Also, concerns about bringing in more NFL guys at the coordinator level. For position coaches that's very attractive, but I wonder if an NFL coordinator can understand how to put college kids in a position to succeed as well as someone who coaches in the college ranks now. It's odd that Harbaugh years ago was called the QB guru for making it simple on his QBs, yet in the past two years he has asked so much of his QBs, some of whom were clearly not capable.
This post makes some really good points ...... re the HARBAUGH!!! rep. IMO, he creates his own issues. OTH, I really don't think he gives a shit and wouldn't mind saying that in a press conference but he' gotten smart enough not to do that. At least I hope he has. He'd be smart to keep a very low profile for the next 30d to avoid getting asked a question that might prompt a go fuck yourselves response. The news cycle on all of this, if the new staff is in-place in short order, will be over in 3-4w.

The comments about the similarities between Hoke firing Borges, bringing in Nussmeir and JH firing Drevno, et. al, and bringing in Enos/Roman and whomever, is on point. When Hoke fired Borges, I really didn't think that came close to solving all of M's problems accumulated on his watch. This feels different. We, as fans, have a very clear picture of where M's problems lie and if the changes rumored actually occur and if the offense undergoes the changes that need to be made, this will make M better in 2018, a lot better. I never felt that Nussmeir brought anything to the table that was going to be difference making.

I also concur with Hack that all these NFL guys coming and going to/from M might not understand the college game as well as they should. It's still Xs and Os and evaluating Jimmys and Joes but the difference in the uniformity of talent across all the sub-units of a football team is vastly different between the NFL and CFB. While Pep Hamilton for example, has done a lot of work with QBs and receivers in the NFL, it's pretty obvious to me that didn't translate to Speight, Peters or the receivers in general. Same for Drevno. Frey just didn't seem to fit in for whatever reasons.