DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old November 12th, 2017, 08:24 AM   #1
Jeff Buchanan

Thumbs down Michigan @ Wisconsin, Noon, 11/18, Fox/Stream FoxGo

Road to a New Years 6 Bowl starts here ........
Old November 12th, 2017, 09:09 AM   #2
iam416

I think it will be a short road.
Old November 12th, 2017, 10:51 AM   #3
Rocky Bleier

Predicting a shutout. Wisconsin will stop the run and force Peters to make throws. He hasn't been accurate deep. Injuries piling up, too. The only thing that might keep Wisconsin under 30 is the fact that they don't throw a ton. Badgers 28 - 0

Last edited by Rocky Bleier; November 12th, 2017 at 03:31 PM.
Rocky Bleier is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 12th, 2017, 11:00 AM   #4
whodean

I'm usually not a pessimist but yeah, I don't see this offense doing a whole lot without a QB who can throw.
Old November 12th, 2017, 11:33 AM   #5
drok

I am quite optimistic about this game. I think we are going to win.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
drok is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 12th, 2017, 01:05 PM   #6
Da Geezer

Any news about the injuries? If Hill is in the concussion protocol, he will miss the game. Gary was still protecting his arm after the game. That doesn't sound like a stinger.
Da Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 12th, 2017, 01:05 PM   #7
Hannibal

Wisky 27
UM 3
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 12th, 2017, 01:29 PM   #8
Jeff Buchanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Wisky 27
UM 3
I hate it when you're right but, man, I'm bringing this out again in the hope that your view is affected by severe ........

Old November 12th, 2017, 01:59 PM   #9
hack

I don't care the outcome of this one as long as they get the next one.
hack is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 12th, 2017, 02:39 PM   #10
Jeff Buchanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack View Post
I don't care the outcome of this one as long as they get the next one.
You should and here's why ......

Both games are difficult but M matches up better with Wisconsin than they do with osu (when their offense is on and jtb isn't doing dumb hero type things). This makes the Wisconsin game a more winnable one, IMO, albeit it is in Madison. So far, M has looked decent on the road this season - the team and the coaching staff appear to be much better prepared for road games, mentally and technically than in the past.

I'd prefer to put that 9th win in the bag v. the Badgers before meeting an ascending osu. Moreover, 9-3, should M lose to the buckeyes, is better than 8-4. It's the difference between a decent bowl, maybe a NY6, and the Holiday Bowl in San Diego.

...... and, do I care about beating osu? Damn straight I do but, you know, one game at a time and a bird in the hand ...... Beat Wisconsin.
Old November 12th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #11
THE_WIZARD_

Gonna be an ugly ass game. I'll say Wisky 17-13
Old November 12th, 2017, 02:51 PM   #12
AlabamAlum

I like M in the upset.
Old November 12th, 2017, 03:10 PM   #13
hack

I'm not suggesting I would trade this for that. The outcomes are independent of each other. Just saying that a win against Wisky would in no way make up for a loss against OSU.
hack is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 12th, 2017, 03:23 PM   #14
Jeff Buchanan

I picked this up from mgoboard. I've filled in (in red) with some info that I've either heard second hand (TIFIW) or is obvious to even a casual observer .......

Doubtful / Out

QB Wilton Speight - Neck Speight warmed up for Maryland wearing a helmet. He's reportedly practiced. If he's cleared and he has a full week of practice the coaches like, he'll play with a short leash and Peters is now a reliable back-up that can get plugged in if needed
WR Tarik Black - Foot
TE Nick Eubanks – Upper body / neck?
OT Grant Newsome - Leg

Questionable

CB Lavert Hill – Concussion There's a ton of speculation out there, most of it bad, talking about "concussion protocols." There are such things and there are neurological procedures and diagnostic imaging to evaluate extent. I'm going to speculate he'll play. He remained on the sideline and was up and about. Players badly concussed vomit, can have motor symptoms, are confused, appear sick and usually leave the field for further eval.
WR Kekoa Crawford – Lower Body?
WR Nico Collins – Lower Body
RB Karan Higdon – Lower Body / Ankle This one is interesting. I listen to M radio on the IMG network during the game for obvious reasons. Doug Karsh, who is the sideline reporter, said on the air that he had overheard other players saying Higdon told them he was fine, could have played, coaches took him out on a precautionary basis. He'll play but take him self out if he doesn't feel like he's contributing
RB Ty Isaac – Lower BodyThis one has been odd to me.
When he first went out playing AF or Purdue I believe, I didn't see anything other than him plowing into the opponent's side line. He got up and trotted off the filed never to return. He did have a couple of carries v. Rutgers and then disappeared for Minny and Maryland. Purely speculative but I wonder if he's got one of those high ankle sprains or a groin injury?

OG – Mike Onwenu – Lower Body He was dressed, did not warm up with contact but was wearing a helmet, was on the sideline and would form up with the rest of the offense during time outs. It was rumored he could play but was held out.
I'm guessing he'll play.

DE Rashan Gary – Shoulder? Might be probable but he didn’t return after getting injured The only thing I've got to go on here is that when he was on camera and down, trainers weren't really working on anything/ Suggests a hard hit. He got up and walked to the sideline apparently unimpaired. It was right after he got to the sideline that a trainer reached under his pads to do something on his left shoulder. Concern on this kind of test is palpable fracture of the collar bone (scapula) or a displaced Acromioclavicular (A/C) joint. If no scaular FX, these are usually A/C sprains. He'll play if this is the case or if he just got dinged hard.

Probable

CB David Long – Knee He didn't seem to lose a step with his brace after he got it. Whirlpool him up and he'll play a little sore from an MCL or LCL sprain
WR Grant Perry – Lower Body? Doghouse? Not sure but played very little yesterday and missed some time before that
RB Kareem Walker – Lower body / ankle? Played yesterday but has been dinged up I thought he looked slight, but very slightly impaired. All RBs in the BIG take a beating. He's fine and will play.
TE Ty Wheatley – Lower Body?? Played as well yesterday but has also been dinged up

Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; November 12th, 2017 at 06:20 PM.
Jeff Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 12th, 2017, 05:31 PM   #15
Mainevent

I just don’t trust any one aspect of this team enough to give me any confidence in this game.
Mainevent is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 12th, 2017, 05:32 PM   #16
Hannibal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack View Post
I'm not suggesting I would trade this for that. The outcomes are independent of each other. Just saying that a win against Wisky would in no way make up for a loss against OSU.
Don't worry we won't have to face that dilemma LOL
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 12th, 2017, 06:18 PM   #17
Jeff Buchanan

Most of the post Maryland game comments have revolved around what that game means for Wisconsin..... Here's my take.

In the second half, Maryland out-gained Michigan, 228-93, and averaged 6.9 yards per play to Michigan’s 3.7. Still, Harbaugh commented in his post game with Jim Brandstatter that he thought this game was the best M had played this season and ran down his observations why - Peters has done everything he's been asked to do with no turnovers. His play has made the running game better - and no turnovers. STs blocked a punt. The D forced two turnovers and held Maryland to one TD.

Also in post game comments from Inside Michigan Football, Hurst confirmed what I had thought were poor gap control/missed run fits when Maryland got some plays going in the 3rd quarter. I still don't have a feel for S play v. Maryland. Was M's D in zone in the second half after gaining a 28-0 lead? I saw one completed throw on replay where there were 3 M players around the Maryland receiver but none in close. That suggests zone at least on that play. In this kind of scheme or anything like it, teams running an offense like Maryland where there are a lot of quick throws on slants and screens, RPOs to the edge, a bit of misdirection and then IZ/OZ runs do well v. a laid back zone protecting a big lead. A tendency for aggressive defenses like Brown's over-pursuing in the direction of play and leaving big rushing lanes open doing that is problematic and we saw that in the 3rd quarter. Not at all in the first half. Brown knows how to defend teams like Maryland and, oh, BTW, osu that runs a similar offense to Maryland. Durkin, hello.

Metellus and Kinnel play press-man, C1 better than zone from what I can tell. We’ve seen it for three straight weeks now that the safeties, especially Josh Metellus, can be a liability in coverage. I think it's a zone scheme thing becasue he has his terrific coverage moments. If Wisconsin star wideout Jazz Peavy returns and matches up with the Ss next week in zone, that's going to be a problem. As well, when it's C-1 and Ss play up either at the LOS on either end and/or threatening a blitz in a gap, that leaves McCray responsible for that middle zone. Those sorts of match-ups have been disastrous (see PSU). Wisconsin RB Jonathan Taylor is legit, and if Mike McCray matches up on him with Ss out of the picture, or with Peavey you might as well put six on the scoreboard. Pretty sure Chryst will be working hard to find those match-ups with slants to Peavey (if he plays) and short throws to Taylor.

Maryland proved it can't run power at M. Wisconsin will try and fail. It is a good thing that Wisconsin does not appear to present a threat to run a Maryland like RPO, IZ/OZ with three wides offense. You can bet your sweet ass though that Cryst will have his boys repping it or something like it. Whether or not they can execute is another matter. This has been M's Achilles Heel on defense...... which is why osu is a bigger threat to M and a much worse match-up than Wisconsin. Beat the Badger.

If Onwenu and Higdon are back, and I think they will be, M will run against the Wisconsin defense. How effective those runs are, i.e., are they 2-3y or 4-5y per carry, will depend on how well Wisconsin can set an edge (Maryland did this fairly well) and whether M's QB (probably Peters) can run a PA and make the Badgers pay for keeping the Ss up to stop the run. I'm not so sure about M's inside power game. Bredeson, Kugler and the RG are going to have to have a really good game and defeat Wisky's DTs.

No Dave Arnada at DC (he went to LSU in the same role). 35yo Jim Leonhard is now DC and he was promoted up from within. He's a former Wisconsin player and worked under Arnada for 2 seasons. Make no mistake this is Dave Aranda's 3-4 Hybrid D. They play a lot of press-man, less of it v. spread teams, and will do this v. M. You saw Maryland basically take away most of Peter's throws deep. Peters routinely checked down and hit his TEs. The first one to DPJ was a nice throw with an obvious, uncalled PI. JH stopped dialing those up almost entirely when he saw how those kinds of plays were going to be refed.

I think Peters can make those throws; I don't think his wides can get separation though. Just not mature enough yet. Loosing the natural talent of Tarik Black hurt JH's long ball game off the PA. Still, M is going to have to make those plays to win this game. They are not going to win it trying to run it down W's throat with the quality and aggressive LB and S play that is featured in W's 3-4 Hybrid D.

Jim Leonhard's unit boasts the No. 5 defense in the country, allowing opponents just 268.0 yards per game. It’s anchored by the run defense, which is also ranked No. 5 and has allowed an average of 93.8 yards per game. And against the pass, Wisconsin is the No. 15 unit, allowing a perfectly respectable 174.3 yards per game. In addition, the Badgers are averaging 3.5 sacks, good for No. 5 in the country, and their defense has scored four touchdowns this year. Only Texas has more.

You saw their schedule though. Makes these stats highly suspicious. Yes, I was disappointed to see Iowa play so poorly against them but that is Iowa and Ferentz, not playing at Kinnick in a nutshell. They're inconsistent and this season, it seems, wildly so. I think M brings a better, more consistent and more sophisticated run game. If Isaac and Higdon are back (JH mentioned at some interview I saw today, Isaac will probably play) the running combo of those two with Evans and a bit of Samuels and Walker mixed in could be a problem for W as the game wears on and they wear down.

If M's QB is on with the passing game and whoever is back there is able to survey for 6 counts, let plays develop, M has a good shot at an upset. However, as we know, M's OL v. quality fronts, is suspect in pass-pro. Doing pretty well in the last three games isn't a great measuring stick for improvement but there is improvement. Still, Peters found himself rolling out and still getting chased by maryland's defenders which leads me to believe that the coaches think that M's OL can't hold up and form a pocket for a QB to step up and into to make these big plays happen.

So, I think that is the key to this game on offense. M has to protect the QB, pass for more than 200 yards and a couple of TDs, get out in front by doing some of that throwing early, take the Camp Randall crowd out of the game and make Wisconsin play catch-up. I will say, that's against all odds and if M can pull this game out on the shoulders of the QBs passing they will have demonstrated some championship play in November even though they won't get to Indianapolis.
Old November 12th, 2017, 06:30 PM   #18
Jeff Buchanan

Wisconsin opens at -10 v. Michigan. Tea leaves see it at -7.5 by KO as the bets flow to M. -10 is in line with S&P+ and Sagrin after you remove home field advantage on Sagrin.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...dds/las-vegas/

In other news, M is ranked #18 in the Coaches poll and #19 in the AP poll. Up to #16 in S&P+

Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; November 12th, 2017 at 06:37 PM.
Jeff Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 12th, 2017, 07:51 PM   #19
klondike

Quote:
Originally Posted by drok View Post
I am quite optimistic about this game. I think we are going to win.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I'm with you about being more optimistic. In truth, the Wolves have Wisky's number. Hell, even Rich Rod beat them when they were ranked.

I expect UM 's defense to really shine this game and get turnovers. Their qb has been susceptible to throwing them and he's not that mobile. Stop their run game and you have at least a chance to win.
klondike is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 12th, 2017, 11:26 PM   #20
WM Wolverine

The injuries have really accumulated and many of them are significant players for M. I've been saying all season Wisconsin is beatable but were going to need to be near full strength to do so. Can't make a prediction on this one till we can see whose playing and Harbaugh will withhold that till Saturday.

Wisconsin's stats are inflated by the weak competition, hopefully yours are adjusting for that Jeff.
WM Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote Top