DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old November 11th, 2017, 07:11 PM   #161
iam416

As an OSU fan, I like the HARBAUGHfense.
Old November 11th, 2017, 07:19 PM   #162
Cody_Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
Good win? Covered the spread? Haven’t you been paying attention? They nearly lost!
Ugh, if only Nordin didn’t miss that kick. That almost cost M the game...

Very pleased though.

Old November 11th, 2017, 07:36 PM   #163
Jeff Buchanan

Strange game. M worked DJ's defense in spurts then DJ worked Brown's to the tune of 200+ yards in the 2nd. The 25 point lead looked in jeopardy during the period where M's D was flailing and the Terps scored a TD. Add to that that M did not score in the 3rd, had something like 21 yards of offense

Fox CFB productions spend way too much time on close shots of players and coaches on the sidelines, misses sets and has replays that never look at the whole field. So, I can't tell what defense Brown dialed up during the period that it looked like it was flailing. My guess is that they backed off press-man and played some type of zone.

Maryland ate this alive with a short passing game but more rushing through gaps that looked like run fit misses. Were Ss dropping to keep stuff in front of them? No way to tell. Maryland tried to dial up the long ball and if Brand was a better passer deep, I'm not convinced this would not have been a squeaker. The bottom line for Maryland's O is that they got some big plays pretty much like analytics said they would against M's D and were stifled most of the time where it counted (inside M's 50 and the RZ the few time Maryland got there).

Seems like M woke up and responded to the Maryland score to drive the field and score in the 4th and then end the game inside the Maryland 15 taking a knee.

It's a win. Not really sure how to judge this until I get to see some video/UFRs. It wasn't a great win, Bob, over a team decimated by injuries and now with a lack of talent. At full strength, Durkin is going to get this team to be a player in the East. Decent scheme on offense, some talent there, gritty defense.

Not feeling good about M's run game v. Wisconsin. I don't think Peters demonstrated enough in this game to back Wisky's Ss out on the regular. He was 9/18, 145, 2TDs. Still, OCs did have him spread his wings a bit so, can't complain too loudly. He didn't do anything bad. He didn't do anything really good either. Defenses repeatedly get too much benefit without much risk by aggressive play up front and with LBs and Ss v. M.

I've not seen Wisconsin's sideline to sideline speed on D but I was not impressed by M's capacity to get to the edge and win those battles v. Maryland. That should concern because it's the inside outside run game with a decent passing threat that develops an offensive rhythm. Parts are there but there is too much inconsistency.

Nordin bothers me. He's going to have to be reliable in the last two games. He's probably a bit down and not kicking with confidence. Like I said, kickers are weird. There is no way to know if he's a solid asset in a close game. The rest of STs seem ok.

Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; November 11th, 2017 at 08:06 PM.
Jeff Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 11th, 2017, 08:24 PM   #164
Jeff Buchanan

Ace of mgoblue thinks Harbaugh and Brown backed off keeping offensive and defensive plays and/or schemes in the lock box v. Maryland saving them for Wisconsin and osu.

I don't buy that.

It might explain why M's offense, saving maybe one or two drives early, looked mostly like a Frankenstein movie picturing that big lug struggling his way back into the castle before he gets caught by townsfolk carrying torches and pitchforks.

Hill was concussed per JH's post game comments. Higdon, Long and Gary who all exited the game at one point or another got a "we'll see" comment from Harbaugh. No surprise there.

Right now, on offense Onwenu, Isaac, now Higdon appear to be dinged up. On defense, it would hurt to have Hill and Long not at 100%. If Hill is concussed. Not likely he'll play. Gary playing hurt is not good. That's how the season usually goes. It's hard to keep everyone healthy.

Next man up.
Old November 11th, 2017, 09:36 PM   #165
hack

Against Wisky it's much more a concern to lose a DL than a corner.
hack is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 12th, 2017, 11:25 AM   #166
whodean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
Harbaugh and Brown backed off keeping offensive and defensive plays and/or schemes in the lock box v. Maryland saving them for Wisconsin and osu..
I tuned out for a lot of the second half but what I did see was a bunch of plain Jane D formations.
Old November 16th, 2017, 06:54 PM   #167
Jeff Buchanan

Folks who are intersted in Don Brown's defense and how he'll play it and to some extent how effective it will be against osu should read Brian's UFR Defense Maryland.

It should not shock anyone that Durkin has patterned his offense at Maryland after ufm's at osu. This Ryan Brand guy at QB, at one time an AF QB, is almost perfect except he is too small to be anything as effective as osu's barrett. Durkin doesn't run a lot of IZ plays and that was probably on purpose v. M. What he did do and with good success is run two big RPO plays, one for a TD, some tunnel screens and a bunch of split zones with a WR coming across in the opposite direction the TE was flowing.

The end result was pulling a box defender out to flow in the direction the TE goes, who is a decoy. Brian reports this has been done to M by multiple teams. One consistently successful thing Maryland did is execute a bunch of borderline WR screens (tunnel or split zone) where the ball was caught at or just past the line of scrimmage. These look like basic passing plays that happen to have a bunch of OPI built into them, but depending on the precise definition of the line of scrimmage they may be legal. They're not getting called in the BT as OPI and they are hard as hell to defend under this circumstance. In this play, it's #14 Metellus getting massively OPI'ed, IMO ..... but I'm not a ref and two of them are staring right at Mettelus. Guess it's legal ..... expect osu, like Maryland did, to run a ton of it v. M. M is weak in defending it.

Inverted veer, a staple of ufm, is also in Durkin's play book and it went for 26 yards on a blown play by Hurst when QB Brand kept it. The play and it's counter were repeatedly run with moderate success. Watch Mo Hurst (he's hand down at NT in the center of the OL), of all people, get taken out of this play. This rarely happens but you can bet ufm will see this and jtb or Dobbins on the give will run it until M stops it.

The frustrating part about the TV coverage of this game is that you can't see where the S's are. Brian has done this stuff enough times to know from other stuff he is seeing that Brown was playing a lot of 3-3-5 and 4-2-5 with the back end playing zone with occasional press-man. Disguised blitzes from the Viper, CB and LBs consistent with how Brown solves problems with aggressiveness. IMO, this is how you play osu and I think this is how Brown will play them in two weeks

Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; November 16th, 2017 at 06:57 PM.
Jeff Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 17th, 2017, 07:51 AM   #168
iam416

Boy, I hope M fans don't start complaining about lack of OPI on screens. Or think that they're somehow aggrieved by the unanimous "Fuck OPI on screens" approach by CFB.

Also, Mettulus hand checks the shit out of the WR and rides him into the middle.
Old November 17th, 2017, 08:38 AM   #169
Jeff Buchanan

Yeah, I agree .... you won't find me bitching about OPI not being called.

The film on this particular play reveals S Kinnel (#23) and CB Watson (#24) not understanding how this play is going to unfold after the snap. Mettelus has it right and if Kinnel and Watson read it well, the completion is made and the receiver is tackled forthwith. Didn't happen and had noting to do with an illegal play or OPI not being called.

The lesson for me here is that these kinds of screens are run by osu and, damn it, the Ss and CBs better be ready for them and make plays. There's no excuse to not do that. This stuff is on film all over the place and that Brown's boys seem to be routinely fucking up coverage on them bothers me.
Old November 17th, 2017, 09:00 AM   #170
iam416

OSU isn't a big screen team. In that they have maybe run 2 or 3 all year.
Old November 17th, 2017, 11:51 AM   #171
Jeff Buchanan

....... saving it for the 25th.

Brown and his boys better be ready.