DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old October 8th, 2017, 01:05 PM   #1
Jeff Buchanan

Cool Michigan @ Indiana, 10/14/17, Noon ET, ABC/ESPN 3

With the offense in disarray, there's no place for it to go but up .... or down only a little!

UM is 92nd in passes intercepted, 106th in fumbles lost, 115th in TFL allowed, 118th in sacks allowed.

Scoring O: t-80th
Total O: 84th,
YPP: t-85th
Run O: 63rd
YPC, 84th
Pass O: t-75th
YPA: t-56th
QB Rtg: 98th
Old October 8th, 2017, 01:07 PM   #2
WM Wolverine

We need to play Rutgers more than once a season.
WM Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 8th, 2017, 01:10 PM   #3
Hannibal

Our offense will still look like shit against Rutgers. The only chance that we have of breaking 30 without a defensive TD is against Maryland.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 8th, 2017, 01:31 PM   #4
*JD*

Peters needs a look.
Old October 8th, 2017, 01:32 PM   #5
Hannibal

I expect that Peters would look pretty bad too, but they need to get either him or McCaffrey some experience. I don't really care if either of them are good at this point.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 8th, 2017, 02:11 PM   #6
Jeff Buchanan

As hard as it is right now to keep going in the same direction with the offense, that's probably the best thing to do UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES ...... OL is already a mess. QB not optimal. To implement some sort of major changes to the play book would probably be disastrous. I'm also against "simplifying." There's plenty of plays that appear fine if they are called correctly and at the appropriate times.

If I were going to change anything, I'd first have to understand (1) As the game plan for the week is implemented in practice, how is that being done, who is involved and (2) in game, who is making the play calls and how are they getting passed to the players..... importantly, the QB and C.

I just sense this is where the problems on offense are. That's where I think the best ideas for improvement lie. JMO because we can't and are not ever going to know how either of these two potential problem areas work or if solutions to fix any problems here have been implemented. All we'll see is what looks like a functional offense.
Old October 8th, 2017, 02:28 PM   #7
WingsFan

Today im pissed.

Through 31 games at Michigan:

Harbaugh: 24-7 record, 1-1 bowl record, 1-4 vs rivals.

Hoke: 24-7 record, 1-1 bowl record, 2-2 vs rivals.

I’m starting to question Harbaugh? We need a change at offensive coordinator. Not more fade passes sailing out of bounds in the redzone. I question why he isn’t using Peters or Kareem walker. Harbaugh is just stubborn or seems 'checked out' this year. so on....

I could go on, but I wont. I have a lot of first world things to do - im done till maybe the osu blowout (or not). Train wreck - back next year.
WingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 8th, 2017, 04:30 PM   #8
Jeff Buchanan

Relax......this thing about Harbaugh looking disinterested or checked out is getting some run among the various blogs.

IMO, it's BS.

The NCAA rules committee rushed in some new rules for the 2017 season intended to curb bad sideline behavior. It appeared, all the whining considered about Harbaugh from officials and his jealous peers, these were aimed at him. So, no shit, he's a bit subdued on the sideline.

Moreover, he has to be exasperated. He's got a shit OL, including a turnstile at RT, RBs that fumble way too much and a QB he knows is a risk every time a pass play gets called in. And Dantonio has his number and is bragging about it. Sucks to be JH.

Give the man a break.
Old October 8th, 2017, 04:57 PM   #9
Rocky Bleier

The fundamentals were bad. But the play-calling — as it has been all season long, save for the Florida game — was probably worst of all.

Michigan's passing game — designed by Harbaugh and first-year passing game coordinator Pep Hamilton — is as bland as dry toast. The Wolverines are asking their quarterbacks to make NFL throws down the sideline and into the end zone.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/co...new/743905001/
Old October 8th, 2017, 05:20 PM   #10
Rocky Bleier

Does Harbaugh try to do too much on offense? Dantonio with one of his snarky comments?

"They are extremely well coached," Michigan State's Mark Dantonio said after the game. "They ran 40 different formations in the first half."
Old October 8th, 2017, 05:20 PM   #11
paul daugherity

Why should he get a break? He gets paid a ton of dough, with the expectation that he'll deliver Ws, especially against a rival. Criticism is part of the deal and comes with territory. Beat state, and he gets praise. That's how it works under the bright lights of big time athletics.
paul daugherity is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 8th, 2017, 05:22 PM   #12
paul daugherity

Dantonio also said Hoke was doing a good job at UM. I don't believe him when he says anything positive about UM.
Old October 8th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #13
Rocky Bleier

As Baumgardner said, Harbaugh has 2 O-line coaches and 3 O-coordinators, and they all make big money. Simplify, simplify, simplify!
Old October 8th, 2017, 05:27 PM   #14
WingsFan

Quote:
"They ran 40 different formations in the first half."

He was mocking us

He's laughing at us
WingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 8th, 2017, 05:35 PM   #15
paul daugherity

Yep. He was thinking the ending, "and they ran none of them well."
Old October 8th, 2017, 05:47 PM   #16
hack

I don't believe Harbaugh is suddenly/instantly far more stupid and satiated than ever before. Something is wrong, but that's not it.
hack is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 8th, 2017, 06:03 PM   #17
Jeff Buchanan

Thank you.
Old October 8th, 2017, 06:06 PM   #18
Rocky Bleier

First drive. They slice through Spartans' defense on the ground. In the red zone, second and third down were incomplete passes into the corner of the end zone. Settle for a FG. WTF? John O'Korn throwing to young inexperienced receivers not named Tarik Black. Playcalling sucked. Was it? (a) Harbaugh, (b) Hamilton, (c) Drevno, (d) Borges.
Old October 8th, 2017, 06:09 PM   #19
Rocky Bleier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack View Post
I don't believe Harbaugh is suddenly/instantly far more stupid and satiated than ever before. Something is wrong, but that's not it.
No one said he's stupid or satisfied/bored. However, he may need to simplify things for a struggling offense, or stick with what's working. He might be correctly called "stubborn."

Anyway, that's enough here. I'm going to find Liney and have a beer...

Last edited by Rocky Bleier; October 8th, 2017 at 06:15 PM.
Rocky Bleier is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 8th, 2017, 06:19 PM   #20
froot loops

All of the goals you have are still attainable. Getting to the top is hard, very hard. Hiring Harbaugh sometimes was viewed as the Office Max Easy Button. You lost a lot of guys to attrition, that counts. Move on, you beat Indiana and go from there.
froot loops is offline   Reply With Quote Top