DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old September 27th, 2017, 02:57 PM   #21
Jeff Buchanan

This is a neat web site although it appears to be scaled down somewhat from the last time I used it.

You put in your zip code and it will tell you how many OTA signals you can receive. I tried it using my zipcode and it only showed one station I could receive. Then I clicked the box that says, my antenna will be 30' off the ground and I still only got 5. Keep in mind those 5 are going to have several broadcast frequencies and my have different programming on each of them. So, 5 could mean 30.

https://www.antennaweb.org/

I'm receiving over 90 different frequencies on probably 20 registered channels. I don't tune in to most of them. But I get all the major networks, News Max and 3 frequencies from PBS all with different programming.

Some antenna thoughts: (1) get it as high as possible. (2) Attics, used to mount your antenna, often don't work well because of OTA signal attenuation inherent in the aluminum shielding under most siding/brick or due to blown in fiberglass insulation. Not many houses built within the last 20 years don't have some of that. (3) Using one of these sites like Antennaweb.org assures you obtain the right kind of antenna. (4) I've been pleased with reception on my Mohu and its size/ease of installation. It is a powered (or boosted) antenna and promotes that it is omni-directional and does not need to be rotated to tune to the best signal. It is pretty good but it is also sensitive to the direction it is pointed to. I had to futz around with the direction to get the best signals. There is no question that a big old honker directional UHF/VHF antenna with an electric rotator on it that you can control from indoors to optimize signal strength is the best option but these can be hard to mount and hook up and they are big and unsightly. In the end, HEIGHT and line of site to the signal source is the most important factor in getting decent OTA signals.
Old September 27th, 2017, 02:58 PM   #22
hack

I love it when Jeff decides to dig in and research something.
hack is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old September 27th, 2017, 03:04 PM   #23
The Oracle

Decides?
The Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old September 27th, 2017, 03:14 PM   #24
Jeff Buchanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack View Post
I love it when Jeff decides to dig in and research something.
This goes way back for me. 15y ago we lived in a different house and in a different place. I put together a 48" Toshiba HD Projection TV (yes, 15y ago this was state of the art) and a great sound system in the den. The house had an old antenna on the roof with a broken Channel Master rotator. There was nothing wrong with the antenna so, I rehabbed it. Being able to tune the signal by rotating the antenna worked really well and not so well without that capability.

At that time, it was the ultimate cord cutting adventure even then I still fed cable signals into the TV. The whole thing had more signal switchers and cords than I could cope with these days (right now my football TV has two inputs and three cords. HDMI has made it so).

I try not to post BS. I learned a long time ago that's not the way to go in that there will be somebody who will nitpick the shit out of any small factual error, grammatical error or misspelling. I don't like making mistakes and then getting rightfully called out.
Old October 4th, 2017, 06:55 AM   #25
Jeff Buchanan

I'm thinking of buying a 2-1 laptop with Chrome OS. Never used Chrome. I won't be running any heavy duty applications on it and I don't game.

Anyone have experience with the Chrome OS?
Old October 4th, 2017, 12:03 PM   #26
CGVT

I use a chromebook. Cheap, simple, fast, no bugs.

Everything is web based. Not much to go wrong.
Old October 4th, 2017, 12:20 PM   #27
The Oracle

Chrome is the best.
The Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 4th, 2017, 12:28 PM   #28
WM Wolverine

Chromebooks are a 'browser' based operating system, they are excellent if all you really do is surf the internet but once you need to run applications they get much less capable...

I can do 95% of my computing (at home) in a web browser but the other 5% I need a Windows/Mac OS. For specific uses, Chromebooks are flawless if you're good with using Google's/Android's software suite.

What do you need a laptop for that isn't done in a browser?
WM Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 4th, 2017, 12:30 PM   #29
UKBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT View Post
I use a chromebook. Cheap, simple, fast, no bugs.

Everything is web based. Not much to go wrong.

LOL!
Old October 4th, 2017, 12:45 PM   #30
CGVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBB View Post
[/b]

LOL!
I guess that is funny, but I don't don't do much other than surf the web, send emails, and write a few documents. It's all in google docs. Anything that is important that I need to save goes on a card. I'm linked to my wireless printer and scanner. I can access any of it from my tablet or phone.

It's easy and fast.
Old October 5th, 2017, 12:10 PM   #31
Jeff Buchanan

Thanks for the help on Chrome.

I bought an Acer R13 Touchscreen 2-in-1 Chromebook. I wanted to go to a store to buy it and tried Best Buy. I've never had a good buying experience with them and the trend continued....... a stock check revealed there was not a single unit available in the SE.

I ordered on line from Costco; it was $389.

Of all the "Book" type laptops (or tablets - this one is kinda in between), it has the largest display. It also has a standard USB port. Samsung, Lenovo offering similar products for about $100 to $120 more have all gone to the USB-C ports. Nothing works on these unless you buy the adapter for about $30. The Acer will run a mouse off Blue Tooth (I hate the pad) and a External USB DVD/CD unit off the standard USB port.
Old October 15th, 2017, 04:04 PM   #32
Jeff Buchanan

Someone posted that the IU/M game had the highest number of viewers yesterday of all the televised games. That's nice. People need to stop watching CFB so I can stream!!!!

Just wondering if others are having a similar experience with all the regional and major sports broadcasters who offer live streamed CFB games (that would be BTN, ABC/ESPN, Fox and CBS) that I am routinely experiencing.

On Saturday, noon time, I was watching the M/IU game via my OTA signal for ABC. Just for kicks I went to BTN, WatchESPN and Fox, FSGO Video on the web. Games of interest were FSU/Duke (Watch ESPN), Rutgers/Illinois (BTN) and Kansas/Iowa State (FSGO Video).Not that I had a great deal of interest in the games themselves, I just wanted to see how good these streamed products were.

The BTN and WatchESPN constantly buffered. FSGO Video streamed flawlessly. I don't have a network, router or internet problem. Gone through that when I first started doing this.

Later I wanted to stream MSU/Minnesota (BTN), osu/neb (FSGO Video) and had the same problem. The osu/neb game on FSGO Video - the same server I had no problems with for Kansas/Iowa State - was unwatchable due to buffering.

To me, this is clearly a service provider server issue - they get overloaded. WTF. With all the advertised hype about TV anywhere from these guys, investment in delivering a decent product isn't there. Of course, that's not surprising but it's frustrating. I just want to confirm that I'm not alone.