DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old November 28th, 2016, 10:35 AM   #41
paul daugherity

The officiating did, but as with most things, there were several factors at play. The turnovers were big. The failure of the offense to get first downs and hold onto the ball in the 4th was a factor. It seemed like the offensive playcalling turtled a little. In other words, there were plenty of things UM did that could have turned the game and won it, negating the officiating issues. They had their opportunities and didn't capitalize. Hence, my view that the season was a failure.
paul daugherity is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 28th, 2016, 10:42 AM   #42
BlueInCostaRica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
If Michigan had beaten Iowa, they'd be a one-loss team that just loss to the #2 team in double overtime. It would be criminal to put Clemson or Washington ahead of them, but I'm sure it would be done to keep the B1G from having two teams in the CFP.
Even before the present CFP system became a reality, I advocated getting rid of the Conference Championship games, and using that weekend to begin an 8 team, 4 game CFP. 8 vs 1, 7 vs 2, etc. At the end of the weekend, things would work exactly as they do now. The CFP committee would declare where the 4 winners would go in playoff bowls, and all other teams would go through the same bowl process they do now.

The conferences can figure out ways to determine their champion without a conference playoff game. A lot of fans don't care anyway, and there would be a lot more national interest in that weekend featuring the 8 teams declared to be the best, regardless of which conferences they come from.

Just my 2 cents.
BlueInCostaRica is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 28th, 2016, 10:44 AM   #43
Rocky Bleier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Rocky, your avatar pic is of the 4th down screw job (which means M won), yet you still view the season as a failure?
All the goals you mentioned are met if they weren't fucked on that call, no?
M lost at OSU. There's no changing that unless that call is overturned. Granted, they had to play two teams on Saturday, but they couldn't protect a 10 point lead. Maybe playing 8 games at home wasn't helpful. I felt it was championship or bust.

Last edited by Rocky Bleier; November 28th, 2016 at 10:48 AM.
Rocky Bleier is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 28th, 2016, 10:47 AM   #44
Rocky Bleier

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul daugherity View Post
The officiating did, but as with most things, there were several factors at play. The turnovers were big. The failure of the offense to get first downs and hold onto the ball in the 4th was a factor. It seemed like the offensive playcalling turtled a little. In other words, there were plenty of things UM did that could have turned the game and won it, negating the officiating issues. They had their opportunities and didn't capitalize. Hence, my view that the season was a failure.
Yes, they let it get to that point where you felt the game slipping away and knew we weren't going to be the beneficiary of any close calls.
Old November 28th, 2016, 11:11 AM   #45
hack

I think that it's right and fair for Michigan to walk away from this thinking that the first course of action is to fix its own issues with turnovers. It's true that you can't make that many mistakes on the road and expect to win. But that does not mean you cannot expect better from the refs and the system. It looks like we now have Buckeye Bobby to go with Spartan Bob. Michigan should not tolerate that shit. Harbaugh said his piece, and it's now up to the university's athletic department to put some people on the job of referee reform.
hack is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 28th, 2016, 11:30 AM   #46
Rocky Bleier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack View Post
I think that it's right and fair for Michigan to walk away from this thinking that the first course of action is to fix its own issues with turnovers. It's true that you can't make that many mistakes on the road and expect to win. But that does not mean you cannot expect better from the refs and the system. It looks like we now have Buckeye Bobby to go with Spartan Bob. Michigan should not tolerate that shit. Harbaugh said his piece, and it's now up to the university's athletic department to put some people on the job of referee reform.
Totally agree. Just because Michigan contributed to their own demise, that doesn't mean they shouldn't expect better from the Big Ten. Was that really the best officiating crew available? It doesn't matter if it's called whining by other fans. It is right to highlight incompetence. It is right to reveal that officials were known fans of the home team. You don't have to lie there and take it while you're being raped. It took Bo bitching after the 10-10 tie in 1973 to get things changed, and that benefited everyone.
Old November 28th, 2016, 11:38 AM   #47
hack

There used to be conflict-of-interest rules for The Game, and now apparently there are not. I'd like to know why.
Old November 28th, 2016, 11:52 AM   #48
AlabamAlum

In the SEC, there are conflict of interest requirements for officials. Living in the same state as of one the teams you're officiating is not a consideration, though. And rumors of a ref "being a fan" isn't enough.

Doesn't stop rival fans from assuming that there are issues with the refs' loyalty. Here's a nice photoshop of Tom Ritter, a ref that some assume is in the tank for Bama:

Fwiw, SEC refs aren't biased, imo. They're just generally incompetent.
Old November 28th, 2016, 11:53 AM   #49
THE_WIZARD_

You would have to ask the B1G Head of Officials that. There are even conflict of interest guidelines in high school selections. I know in my experiences the conferences I've worked in are always very aware of potential conflicts. It's not always about what state you live in. You have to go deeper than that. Even an appearance of potential conflicts should be dealt with...even if you feel the official can be totally unbiased you don't want to have a chance for controversy yet you want the best crews doing the high profile games. Tough job.
THE_WIZARD_ is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 28th, 2016, 11:59 AM   #50
hack

I could see that. ``And rumors of a ref "being a fan" isn't enough.'' -- totally agree. Very subjective. Plenty of people could handle that and still ref a fair game. Some could not. Clearly in the past, The Game required officials from other states.

Overall, it's somebody's job to go shed light on the process. We should all, if we want to, know what that is.
Old November 28th, 2016, 12:03 PM   #51
Paul L

It's the biggest fucking game in CFB this year. Not only were there osu fans and those residing in Ohio selected, but another that was FIRED previously for incompetence.

I'd like to hear the spin from the B1G as to how they determined that was the best crew available.
Old November 28th, 2016, 12:04 PM   #52
AlabamAlum

I don't know why you have to exclude refs who live inside the state. I grew up in Louisiana and live in Alabama now. Of course I can't do a Bama game, but I would be impartial with other teams.

Last edited by AlabamAlum; November 28th, 2016 at 12:08 PM.
AlabamAlum is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 28th, 2016, 12:06 PM   #53
hack

In the past The Game excluded officials who lived in either Michigan or Ohio. Required them to be from other states. As far as I'm concerned though, I don't know how far you'd have to go but true objectivity is crucial. Maybe Trump can divert NASA's climate-change funding to doubling-down on finding intelligent life out there. No better way to ensure zero conflict of interest than to teach aliens who have no skin in the game how to ref.
Old November 28th, 2016, 12:09 PM   #54
AlabamAlum

I have an idea: you could get an SEC crew for The Game and we could get a B1G crew for the Iron Bowl. I would actually love that.
Old November 28th, 2016, 12:12 PM   #55
THE_WIZARD_

Refs could end up dead.

(insert wiz joke here)
Old November 28th, 2016, 12:26 PM   #56
BlueInCostaRica

I think refs from ALL states should be excluded. We have a number of good fútbol refs here in Costa Rica who would be glad to participate.

They would have to learn the rules, but how long could that take; couple of afternoons maybe.
BlueInCostaRica is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 28th, 2016, 12:27 PM   #57
THE_WIZARD_

el heh
Old November 28th, 2016, 12:32 PM   #58
hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamAlum View Post
I have an idea: you could get an SEC crew for The Game and we could get a B1G crew for the Iron Bowl. I would actually love that.
That's been done in the past, I know. In basketball maybe but not in football? Not sure. How it is for non-con games, right?
Old November 28th, 2016, 12:39 PM   #59
AlabamAlum

For some non-con games, the visiting team brings their conference's refs with them.

It could just open up other controversies, though. Imagine a B1G crew making a bad call that kept Bama outta the playoff and put Penn State in it (or whatever).
Old November 28th, 2016, 12:41 PM   #60
hack

Third-party crews.

I'm sure some of that will increase expense, but I'm certainly not averse to that. Reffing is an important element of the whole thing and an appropriate slice of the pie needs to be devoted to it.