DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old November 27th, 2016, 08:25 PM   #21
hack

The known dip coming is why this is such a hard one to take. They didn't play a perfect game, but you shouldn't have to. They were the better team. Needed to get this one, especially for those seniors.
hack is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 27th, 2016, 08:47 PM   #22
WM Wolverine

Michael Onwenu moved back to OL for good allegedly.

Maurice Hurst sounds like he'll return for a 5th year, which is GREAT news. Bryan Mone should return too at NT. Rashan Gary could move inside if he can add the weight though if those two return, he'll likely stay at SDE. Chase Winovich will be at WDE... McCray returns for a 5th year(?) at OLB...

Front seven should be average-to-good. The defensive backfield is the reason for worry. We'll have four new starters in the defensive backfield barring Jeremy Clark getting a gift of a 6th year. Brandon Watson was the most used nickel/CB so he's very likely to be a starter... Tyree Kinnel FS impressed me in his limited action and Khaleke Hudson is pretty likely to start at strong safety...

-

Darboh & Butt are huge losses but those are areas where we do have talented albeit inexperienced depth. Better talent than most the competition on our schedule; Devin Asiasi will be very good in a year or two and M has its share of 4-star receivers; Keoka Crawford, Drake Harris, Grant Perry, etc could be solid enough....

Offensive line will have tons of holes to fill, especially if Grant Newsome isn't healthy. By far my biggest position of concern on the offense and even the team. Outside of the Iowa game, the OL was pretty good at protecting Speight. Speight won't have as much time to throw plus he won't have Darboh and Butt to throw too.
WM Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 27th, 2016, 08:49 PM   #23
hack

Re OL, it's all about whether Newsome is healthy.
Old November 27th, 2016, 09:07 PM   #24
Wellington_beefhouser

The Game was the highest rated CFB game this year. Not really a surprise considering the teams playing, stakes involved, rankings, coaches, and rivalry blah blah blah. It'd be nice if the committee opted for money and pit M vs OSU in a playoff game.
Old November 27th, 2016, 09:16 PM   #25
paul daugherity

I'm where Hack is. The talent dip because of the issues with Hoke's final recruiting classes is coming and next year is going to be tough. I expect 3-5 losses next year and makes this year's failure to win the division and against OSU that much more galling. It feels like the staff and team let a great opportunity slip through their fingers.
paul daugherity is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 27th, 2016, 09:19 PM   #26
hack

I expect 2 losses next year. Maybe 3. But they did let a great opportunity slip through their fingers. Especially with Peppers on offense.
Old November 27th, 2016, 09:27 PM   #27
paul daugherity

Only 2 or 3 losses? On paper, there are some tough games. They open at a neutral site against Florida. They go to Penn State (likely a night game), go to Wisconsin and have OSU and MSU at home. I think that is an awful lot to ask of a roster that will be inexperienced.
Old November 27th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #28
hack

I forgot we open neutral-site against a potentially very good team. But I don't think more than 3 losses. That's not OK under Harbaugh.
Old November 27th, 2016, 09:37 PM   #29
CGVT

That inexperienced roster doesn't matter, but They will have an experienced QB. That matters.

The days of the Big Two/Little Eight are well past. The are solid teams up and down the conference. Going undefeated in the conference is unlikely for any team.

Plug and play is the way it works now.

If he is the coach that we think he is, he'll have them ready and in the hunt
Old November 27th, 2016, 09:37 PM   #30
WM Wolverine

7-5 is a possibility if the OL can't protect Speight or open up running lanes. I expect closer to 8-4, still way too early without seeing early departures and such.
Old November 27th, 2016, 09:44 PM   #31
hack

Newsome, Bredeson and Carr will still be around. Kugler has some experience. I'm not saying the line won't be a concern, but as long as Newsome is back I'm much more worried about the secondary.
Old November 27th, 2016, 10:21 PM   #32
Wellington_beefhouser

There is a good possibility a true freshman could start on the OL. Isaiah Wilson and Cesar Ruiz are distinct possibilities. Wilson is a stud.
Old November 27th, 2016, 11:39 PM   #33
WM Wolverine

Newsome is the most critical piece, a true left tackle that I think will have an NFL career...

Bredeson, Onwenu, Cole, Kugler, Dawson, Bushell-Beatty doesn't sound promising unless you add Grant Newsome's name in there too. Grant Newsome allows the guy(s) who probably shouldn't be playing tackle to move inside where they belong.
Old November 28th, 2016, 08:47 AM   #34
Rocky Bleier

The year was ultimately a failure. Michigan had practically their entire team returning, while MSU and OSU were hit hard by graduation and/or early departures. To not only miss the playoff but the B1G Championship as well is failure. Wisconsin and Pedophile State, both of whom Michigan beat, are playing for the championship, and OSU is in the final four. Michigan is the team left on the sidelines. That's a failed season. They shot themselves in the foot when they didn't show up to play in Iowa.

Next season will be bad. It will include another loss to OSU. The future should be bright, but I'm waiting to see if Harbaugh can recruit some O-linemen and RBs that are on a level with the elite teams. Meyer and Saban may be great coaches, but it doesn't hurt that they get the best of the best each recruiting season.
Old November 28th, 2016, 09:01 AM   #35
hack

I guess the Iowa loss is even worse given the OSU loss.

I won't rule out beating OSU next year. It can be done. But this year was an opportunity that's now wasted.
Old November 28th, 2016, 09:11 AM   #36
paul daugherity

Ditto that Rocky. I would add that UM needs to win on the road against a good team to be elite.

In response to some of Jeff's posts, in my opinion UM is not back. Not until they can win on the road against a good opponent, beat OSU and win their division.
Old November 28th, 2016, 09:13 AM   #37
iam416

If M had beaten Iowa, then OSU goes to the B10 CG. If OSU wins the B10 CG, then they're in. And it's Alabama, OSU and Clemson. And then the ONLY way M doesn't get in is if it's a M vs Washington, and even then I'm not sure.

So, yeah, if M had beaten Iowa they'd be sitting there knowing that a Clemson or Washington loss means they're absolutely in, and they'd still have a really good case against Washington, although I tend to think they'd take Washington as the CFP has reiterated that "2 through 5 are really close" -- so the CG would actually come into play.
Old November 28th, 2016, 09:36 AM   #38
Cody_Russell

Purdue is on M's schedule for the first time in years.
That's a free win.

Beat Florida and there is a good chance M gets out to a hot start next season. Ending at Wisconsin and vs OSU is a tough finish.
9-3 or 10-2 seems right in 2017.
Old November 28th, 2016, 10:17 AM   #39
Rocky Bleier

If Michigan had beaten Iowa, they'd be a one-loss team that just loss to the #2 team in double overtime. It would be criminal to put Clemson or Washington ahead of them, but I'm sure it would be done to keep the B1G from having two teams in the CFP.
Old November 28th, 2016, 10:28 AM   #40
Paul L

Rocky, your avatar pic is of the 4th down screw job (which means M won), yet you still view the season as a failure?
All the goals you mentioned are met if they weren't fucked on that call, no?

I'm curious as to M fans' thoughts on whether the officiating in fact had an impact on the end result, and hence their assessment of the season as a whole.