DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old November 27th, 2016, 05:01 PM   #1
Jeff Buchanan

Arrow Michigan vs. FSU, Orange Bowl, 8pm, ESPN, Game Day - Post Game Discussion

Old November 27th, 2016, 05:11 PM   #2
AlabamAlum

Bowel? Heh.
Old November 27th, 2016, 05:13 PM   #3
paul daugherity

That sounds about right.
paul daugherity is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 27th, 2016, 05:13 PM   #4
Jeff Buchanan

This has been a great season for M football and M will most likely and deservedly go to a NY6 Bowl. There are a few scenarios, none likely, that M could end up in the CFP.

Think back to August when we got serious about talking wins and losses for the 2015 season. Most felt 10-2 was the goal, 11-1 the realistic season although 8-4 and 12-0 was offered by those on the margins.

So here we are, the regular season ended and M went 1-1 v. its biggest rivals, MSU and osu, stumbling at Iowa (the one place I thought M would lose one of their games) and losing a close one to osu in c-bus (the other game I thought M would lose). M football got to wear I thought it would get and I'm sure others are in that camp too.

Notably M can know that under HARBAUGH!!! they are capable of playing and winning with anyone. That's not going to change. I'm not in the camp that, given this loss to osu, M is relegated to second fiddle in the BT. It's one game, shit happens (and it did), the next season will have a different feel to it than this one, the next game will be different and the next and so on but one thing is certain, M will win ........

I don't think there is a single team that M will play in a NY6 Bowel that M can't beat. Not one. This post season other teams and fans will be looking for ways to avoid the best 10-2 team in CFB and probably the best team in CFB left out of the CFP. It won't be our team either missing a bowel or having it's fans looking to get a better (easier) match-up. Michigan football is back.
Old November 27th, 2016, 05:15 PM   #5
Jeff Buchanan

Fixed .... Heh.
Old November 27th, 2016, 05:32 PM   #6
paul daugherity

You are way more optimistic than me Jeff. Setting aside preseason predictions, UM was 9-0 going to Iowa, and controlled its destiny regarding the BT title game and CFP. UM made mistakes and cost themselves the above and cost themselves a victory against OSU. So I don't take much solace in being a tough 2 loss team.

As for next season, I'm not optimistic. Lots of starters to replace and a tough schedule.
Old November 27th, 2016, 05:40 PM   #7
hack

I expected 11-1. This is bullshit.
hack is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 27th, 2016, 05:43 PM   #8
Dan V

Probably play Colorado and beat them easily
Dan V is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 27th, 2016, 05:47 PM   #9
Paul L

Sounds like fsu in the Orange
Old November 27th, 2016, 06:08 PM   #10
Jeff Buchanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack View Post
I expected 11-1. This is bullshit.
....... expected 11-1, didn't get it and that you didn't is bullshit?

I know you're pissed about the osu loss as many here are but this is a little over the top, don't you think?

2 years ago, M was struggling to get bowl eligible. We have fans here from other programs who attest to the fact that this is a top 4 football team.

We can't do anything about the loss to osu, nor, IMO, talk further about The Game beyond what has already been said about it.

What we can do productively, sharing rational view points, is talk about what is going to happen going forward.

Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; November 27th, 2016 at 06:41 PM.
Jeff Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 27th, 2016, 06:32 PM   #11
Paul L

Methinks hack was being sarcastic.

Either that or was channeling his inner Hannibal.
Old November 27th, 2016, 07:06 PM   #12
paul daugherity

Ok Jeff. So what are your views about what is going to happen with UM football going forward?
Old November 27th, 2016, 07:17 PM   #13
hack

Hannibal is spot-on when he says "if not now, when?"
Old November 27th, 2016, 07:23 PM   #14
CGVT

Championships are hard to win.

I think being in the hunt for a conference championship and a birth in the playoff is really all that you can hope for. It that is the case every year, you are a very successful program, IMO..

So really, now happened this year. We'll see if M can sustain it.
Old November 27th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #15
hack

Needed to beat OSU this year. I'm not blaming Harbaugh or expecting him to be perfect or looking for any scapegoats. There are none of be found in Ann Arbor, an the future is very bright. I'm just sick of this. How many ways do we have to lose to them before this changes?
Old November 27th, 2016, 07:33 PM   #16
iam416

I think there's way more cause for high optimism. That said, next year will be HARBAUGH's biggest challenge. It'll be entirely his team. Hoke recruited really well for a couple years, but fell off in his final season and even in his penultimate season. There won't be much to fill in around HARBAUGH's recruits. That said, he has a QB -- a good one.

I think it'll only get better after that and I expect program parity with OSU in 2-3 years.

That said, this was their season for reasons otherwise stated.
Old November 27th, 2016, 07:35 PM   #17
WingsFan

As long as Jim Harbaugh is our HC everything will be fine. At the beginning of the year I predicted a loss @ Iowa and @ msu or @ osu (not both). Crushing defeat yesterday, but I just seen Harbaugh (steaming mad) tell Brandstatter "Its not over!". Things are looking good going forward.
WingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 27th, 2016, 07:48 PM   #18
Mainevent

Expectations were raised by the performance this year. The loss to OSU is frustrating but not unexpected. The loss to Iowa is the killer one given how they played most of the year and what it cost M.

Next year will be an interesting trial for Harbaugh, the defense really takes some hits. I'm less worried about the offense, but I expected to see more out of the young TEs and WRs than we saw this year so there are definitely unknowns.
Mainevent is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 27th, 2016, 08:23 PM   #19
WM Wolverine

We were good enough to belong in the CFP. Two extremely close, road losses to awfully good teams. Iowa was tons better in mid October & November than they were in September; that was the Iowa team we expected to play when the season started...

It hurts to know how winnable each of our losses were. Just ONE play in EITHER of those games and we are pretty much where I hoped we'd be, a likely CFP team.

Hurts even more that Brady Hoke couldn't recruit after his '13 recruiting class and we've known for some time '15 & '16 were going to be 'peak' seasons and '17 is certainly going to be a valley with the massive losses to graduation on both sides of the ball. Way too many 1st, 2nd, 3rd year players will be in the 2-deep next season and not near enough guys in their 4th/5th year...

Long-term, this program is back on track to be as strong as we were in the 70's/80's/90's. Harbaugh is an elite coach, is recruiting extremely well, and knows enough about football that he can spot the difference between an average coordinator and an excellent one. Looking at our schedule, '17 could be quite a struggle but it's only going to be short-term with the talent Harbaugh is presently bringing in.
WM Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 27th, 2016, 08:23 PM   #20
hack

It's the offensive skill positions that I worry about. We'll still have a good chunk of that insane DL rotation back, with guys like Gary and Winovich and Mone ready to take a step up. It'll be interesting to see where Onwenu breaks in, but IMO the lines will be fine. Of course we won't have the insane pass rush of this year, but still. I'm also looking forward to Devin Bush busting into the lineup and seeing that true LB speed and in-space instinct he is supposed to have. Secondary -- shudder. At least there are talented kids ready to step into those roles.

On offense, well, it's gotta be all-out for Najee Harris. The roster of good/not great backs is an issue, esp with green WRs apart from Grant Perry. We saw very little of Bunting this year. I hope that's not a red flag.