DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Closed Thread

Old November 21st, 2016, 12:28 PM   #41
The Oracle

You guys are really overrating OSU. Neither line is that great, nor WRs. Begins and ends with Barrett. Him and Samuel are all that scare me.
The Oracle is offline   Top
Old November 21st, 2016, 12:35 PM   #42
iam416

Then you ought to feel really, really good.
Old November 21st, 2016, 12:44 PM   #43
iam416

I went through I tried to figure out which M players I'd want to have on OSU's defense and vice versa and which ones were pushes.

I think Lewis and Conley are pretty clear CB choices. I think Lattimore would be the nickel. I think Hooker is an easy Safety choice. I'd take Hill or Thomas or Oracle over Dame Webb.

For LBs, MacMillan is an easy pick for me. Then Peppers over Worley is clear. And I'd take Baker over McCray. Those aren't that close, IMO.

On the DL, Glasgow is the only clear choice for me. I'd probably take Godin, but that's a toss-up. I'd stick with OSU's DEs and I'm sure M fans would stick with their's, so I'd call that a push. I think OSU's 2nd set of DEs are better, but that's a meh advantage.
Old November 21st, 2016, 12:56 PM   #44
iam416

Every starter on M's defense is a Senior except Peppers. Ohio State starts no senior and has 1 senior of consequence in the two-deep.

On offense, it's 8 seniors with Cole as a junior. OSU starts 1 senior and plays 1 more (Dontre Wilson).

That's an 18 to 1 advantage.

This underscores the "THIS is M's year" from Buchanan. I doubt M will ever have a more significant experience advantage, especially as HARBAUGH brings in more and more kids that aren't going to be good enough to be EEs.
Old November 21st, 2016, 01:50 PM   #45
Rocky Bleier

"Ohio State's biggest weakness offensively has been the lack of a downfield passing game, so adding Michigan's blanketing pass defense shouldn't have too much of an effect on what Meyer and his staff will try to do. More likely, though, if the Buckeyes can find a way to control the line of scrimmage and establish a running game with Barrett, that may be enough for Ohio State to make it five consecutive victories over their arch-rival. Despite a poor throwing effort in East Lansing this past week, Barrett was Ohio State's best weapon because of his legs, picking up 122 yards on the ground including five third-down conversions."

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-s...ve-coordinator
Old November 21st, 2016, 01:58 PM   #46
Rocky Bleier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
We'll score more than 10 with Speight.
I'm not feeling good about the O-line after Iowa. Didn't run much on Sparty, either. I fear that whoever plays at QB will be under heavy pressure being in 3rd and long much of the game. The O-line, though experienced, is not that good.
Old November 21st, 2016, 03:18 PM   #47
jaadam4

The sky is falling!!!
jaadam4 is offline   Top
Old November 21st, 2016, 03:20 PM   #48
jaadam4

You guys are right. OiHo is like Bama this year, they're just unbeatable and they're going to win the big 10...

Wait a second......
jaadam4 is offline   Top
Old November 21st, 2016, 03:55 PM   #49
WingsFan

Haven't see a good game on the road yet from Harbaugh? Speight remember was absolutely terrible vs Iowa and second half vs Sparty. Need this unit of seniors to step up and help their QB. This is the only way Michigan can win, seniors have to take control, plenty have already played in the toilet down there. JOK has to have a lot of designed roll outs, screen or a primary look throw or run. He cannot read and handle the pocket.
WingsFan is offline   Top
Old November 21st, 2016, 03:58 PM   #50
jaadam4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsFan View Post
Haven't see a good game on the road yet from Harbaugh?
Rutgers
jaadam4 is offline   Top
Old November 21st, 2016, 04:58 PM   #51
Jeff Buchanan

MSU? Team 137 found a way to win that one after a slow start.

Iowa was a shitstorm - it happens. I can't blame anyone ...... except Kalid Hill for missing his Goddamn blocking assignment allowing a free hit on Deveon for a safety.

That was a huge game changer. The crowd had been silenced following M's easy first TD and a subsequent 3 and out by Iowa's O to follow that. Iowa was easy kill. That play made it a lot harder to do that.
Old November 21st, 2016, 05:55 PM   #52
WingsFan

Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit with Samantha Ponder as the side-line reporter:
Old November 21st, 2016, 06:22 PM   #53
Jeff Buchanan

Who cares.

Who are the officials?
Old November 21st, 2016, 07:05 PM   #54
THE_WIZARD_

Good fucking Lord. Sandbaggis Maximus on both sides. I say Vermin 27 M 24 but is a tossup. Stop being.AA. It's embarrassing.
THE_WIZARD_ is offline   Top
Old November 21st, 2016, 07:15 PM   #55
WingsFan

Brian

Old November 21st, 2016, 11:17 PM   #56
Detroit Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
Good fucking Lord. Sandbaggis Maximus on both sides. I say Vermin 27 M 24 but is a tossup. Stop being.AA. It's embarrassing.
Well said! I have no idea which team will win, but all the hand wringing defeatism is uncalled for.
Detroit Dan is offline   Top
Old November 21st, 2016, 11:27 PM   #57
klondike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
MSU? Team 137 found a way to win that one after a slow start.

Iowa was a shitstorm - it happens. I can't blame anyone ...... except Kalid Hill for missing his Goddamn blocking assignment allowing a free hit on Deveon for a safety.

That was a huge game changer. The crowd had been silenced following M's easy first TD and a subsequent 3 and out by Iowa's O to follow that. Iowa was easy kill. That play made it a lot harder to do that.
The wolverines sure miss a lot of assignments on the OL. Just watched the Indiana game again and conscentrating on the line, I notice they miss blocks on every other play.
klondike is offline   Top
Old November 22nd, 2016, 05:37 AM   #58
Niffla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
OSU is very fast and athletic on defense. It doesn't really matter who plays QB.
You're saying that it doesn't matter whether we have Speight or O'Korn?? Dude. I know Speight is coming off a career worst game, but it does matter, and a matters A LOT. A hell of a lot.

Last edited by Niffla; November 22nd, 2016 at 05:42 AM.
Niffla is offline   Top
Old November 22nd, 2016, 09:01 AM   #59
Jeff Buchanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by klondike View Post
The wolverines sure miss a lot of assignments on the OL. Just watched the Indiana game again and conscentrating on the line, I notice they miss blocks on every other play.
If you've followed the UFRs at mgoblog this season, you can see that OL play has been somewhat inconsistent. Not all bad but there will be games where that one key block, even the ones at the second level that should have been made by a TE or OG isn't made, that limits the play.

You can't expect every play to be run to perfection every time. At the CFB level, teams will have one or two go to running plays based on down and distance that are repped so frequently that there is a high probability of success.

One of M's is the short yardage play where Kalid Hill gets the ball from the Tail Back position and plows ahead for a couple yards. The constraint to that play and probably also one of M's bread and butter plays is the play where Smith gets tackled in the EZ for a Safety.

M is in an I-Form Big, Iowa has 8 in the box (they bring up both Ss). The play is Lead Zone Run, Hill is the lead blocker, RG Kalis is supposed to clear whoever is in the Zone at the snap. This happens to be DT Johnson who is an NFL ready DT that gave M fits all night long. Kalis chips Johnson without any effect, Hill blows by him trying to get to the second level as the lead blocker, Johnson, unblocked, hammers Smith for the S.

I thought this was on Hill but Brian thinks that Kalis missed his assignment. Either way, it's a good example of how one missed blocking assignment will kill an otherwise well executed play. It was the right call either from the sideline or a play call Speight made. If Kalis (per Brian) or Hill blocks Johnson, Smith doesn't get hammered and he's going to break a big play because everyone else is being blocked and there is no deep S.

My point is that it is really hard to generalize about OL play. A great play call can be foiled by any number of little things that don't go quite right. Those little things happen a lot at the CFB level, not so much in the NFL. As well, the D can make a great play. The greatness of Iowa's play call against M's in this case was aided by one of either Kalis or Hill not blocking Johnson.

In the IU UFR, you do see these little things involving OL blocking go wrong but by-in-large, the run blocking and by extension, the run game was much more effective v IU than it was v Iowa.

To extend this to how M's run game might do v. osu, MSU ran the ball well v osu's interior (LJ Scott, 116y) and Deveon Smith may have some success there. I'd grade M's OL well ahead of MSU's in run blocking and Tyler O'Conner is not much more of a passing threat than O'Korn. I'm not sure about the health of osu's interior DL but I do know they are young. So, I'm hopeful there.

osu's DEs are good but not great so, there might be some running room outside. The issue there is unsealing the edge and getting blocks on osu's very good LBs and Ss. I have no idea how that will go. We'll have to see because you absolutely know JH will roll these out in all their variations including PepCat.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 09:33 AM   #60
iam416

Yes, I still miss Troy Smith.
Closed Thread