DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old November 20th, 2016, 10:50 AM   #201
iam416

One coaching comment -- IU had the ball inside it's own 15 -- as it always did -- with 50 seconds left in the 3rd quarter down 13-10. Instead of running the ball twice to get to the end of the quarter and then punt with the wind, they threw on first down and threw on third down -- both incomplete. A predictably awful punt gave M the ball at the 40 and Smith scored right after.

I told my wife after the first down incompletion -- those idiots are going to give the ball back to M at the 35. Not that it would have mattered much. Once M got back to pure power, it was over. But shit like that fascinates me.
Old November 20th, 2016, 10:51 AM   #202
THE_WIZARD_

STFU
THE_WIZARD_ is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 20th, 2016, 11:06 AM   #203
hack

Talent is right about going to a power running game. I don't get the insistence on overusing the shaky passing game.
hack is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 20th, 2016, 11:08 AM   #204
iam416

Everyone was right. Everyone was making the same comments.
Old November 20th, 2016, 12:03 PM   #205
*JD*

My one and only game I went to this year. The first half was cold and miserable, halftime was worse and the second half was a joy!

I really hope O'Korn/Harbaugh can make some adjustments/improvements. Just an accelerated crash course in QB-ing. At best, he's still going to be a game-manager but he was pretty close to a Steven Threet/Nick Sheridan level of effectiveness yesterday.

I would guess the weather won't be as oppressive. I'm not sure if that helps or hurts us overall. Tosu didn't seem to play well in those conditions yesterday.
Old November 20th, 2016, 12:09 PM   #206
*JD*

BTW- Is McDoom hurt? I didn't hear his name yesterday.
Old November 20th, 2016, 12:24 PM   #207
froot loops

I think it is psychological with play callers. You can sit at home and see the obvious that the conditions call for pure power running game but the draw to pass is especially strong. Most play callers have no patience for a long drive of 3-5 yard runs. They view those as jabs to set up a long pass.
There is also a strong incentive to use the passes you have practiced in the week leading up to the gane.

Lastly, there are very few play callers who want to get away from whatever identity they fashion themselves to have. There is only one as far as I'm concerned and that is Belicheck. He just goes with what works, I'm not even sure what his overriding philosophy is other than attacking an opponents weakness.
froot loops is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old November 20th, 2016, 12:29 PM   #208
Jeff Buchanan

On Belicheck ...... that's a very good point.

The one thing he does not have to deal with that CFB coaches do is the requirement to cover weakness. It's there at the NFL level but the degree that is a consideration is much lower.

Moreover, pros don't have to worry about the NCAA rules on practice time and going to classes. Way different environment although your point is well taken.
Old November 20th, 2016, 06:44 PM   #209
Whitley

Quote:
Originally Posted by froot loops View Post
I think it is psychological with play callers. You can sit at home and see the obvious that the conditions call for pure power running game but the draw to pass is especially strong. Most play callers have no patience for a long drive of 3-5 yard runs. They view those as jabs to set up a long pass.
There is also a strong incentive to use the passes you have practiced in the week leading up to the gane.

Lastly, there are very few play callers who want to get away from whatever identity they fashion themselves to have. There is only one as far as I'm concerned and that is Belicheck. He just goes with what works, I'm not even sure what his overriding philosophy is other than attacking an opponents weakness.
Wayne Fontes was another example of this.