DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old October 24th, 2016, 10:32 PM   #41
SeattleLionsFan

I am expecting a real bad beating of Sparty.
Old October 24th, 2016, 10:51 PM   #42
Pasadena Blue

god i hope so....but crazy things happen. If the Bucks can go down...
Pasadena Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 25th, 2016, 01:55 AM   #43
Niffla

I don't care how bad they've been this year. It's still a huge rivalry game against a Big Ten program in their house.

And we gotta remember -- this one game would make their entire season at this point. They could lose the rest of them and finish 3-9, but if they at least beat UM, then I guarantee that it would make all the rest of those L's worth it for them ten fold.

If this were in Ann Arbor then sure, I'd just about take for granted a blowout win in this case. But not in East Lansing. They still may very well go in there and beat them down but I'm for damn sure not going to take it for granted going into it.

To me it's still a very scary game.
Old October 25th, 2016, 05:52 AM   #44
UMStan White

14-7 UM at the half, 28-13 at the end for the good guys
UMStan White is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 25th, 2016, 05:54 AM   #45
Tom W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niffla View Post
If this were in Ann Arbor then sure, I'd just about take for granted a blowout win in this case. But not in East Lansing. They still may very well go in there and beat them down but I'm for damn sure not going to take it for granted going into it.

To me it's still a very scary game.
The way Sparty fans are bailing, this game will feel like it's being played in Brighton.

I would buy (some of) that rivalry stuff if it looked like the team had actually had any clues in the last few weeks. Those losses haven't exactly been heartbreakers to the likes of Alabama, Nebraska or OSU. I wouldn't think that it was possible for Dantonio to lose his team so badly so fast, but they look like the 2002 team. There must be something seriously wrong going on.
Tom W is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 25th, 2016, 09:48 AM   #46
klondike

I find it hard to believe a team that has played so poorly and so clueless could get their sh!# together for one game after five losses. Guess it is possible but highly unlikely.
klondike is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 25th, 2016, 12:04 PM   #47
Pasadena Blue

such an avalanche of negativity for Sparty and positivity for us in the media ... makes me worried...
Pasadena Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 25th, 2016, 02:11 PM   #48
Jeff Buchanan

Ecky Pting does this review of S&P + Five Factors Match-up Comparisons with M's upcoming opponents during game week. In the Cliff Notes version, he says this:

The IsoPPP advantages of Sparty in standard downs and passing plays will mean UM must be on the lookout defensively in order to contain explosive plays, particularly on Standard Downs. This is not necessarily a weakness so much as a condition of the UM Defense under Don Brown's aggressive schemes. It doesn't happen often - it just seems that UM's secondary will need to continue to be on its toes in blitz situations. Judging from the PFF numbers I've seen regarding QB ratings vs. Stribling and Lewis, however, QB's would do better by just throwing the ball out of bounds than anywhere near the U-M CB's.

In general, however, I would say this matchup looks as one might expect rolling into Piscataway .... err... East Lansing. Personally, I would love to see a complete annihilation of the Scarlet Knights ...... err......Spartans, for reasons I will leave to you, dear reader......

Most observers have been saying all along that M's D (Don Brown's deployment of it) has the potential to give up big plays. We're not talking about the singular first down run. That's going to happen, hopefully not a lot. We're talking about serious big runs or pass plays for TDs. Hold those down in this game and M wins handily.

Another problem but one I picked up from reading a couple of things about the PSU/osu game ....... the PSU win was fluky. osu dominated in almost every stat. two things hurt them: (1) the first blocked punt that set up a field goal narrow the score differential to 4 points, (2) a kick-six that turned a potential 7-point OSU lead into the three point deficit they'd ultimately lose by.

Special teams or shit happens will be the by-words of the day for me on Saturday. M's numbers in every predictive model that does such things are just stunning. The most notable models are the one's that adjust for opponent quality and garbage time after M has imposed it's will on weak opponents.

If the special teams gods bless M's version of that unit and bring death and destruction on MSU's all will go well and that assumes a minimum of shit happens to M and a lot to MSU.

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/sp-five-...chup-um-vs-msu
Old October 25th, 2016, 08:26 PM   #49
UKBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMStan White View Post
14-7 UM at the half, 28-13 at the end for the good guys
I could live with that, but I could really live with 78-0 good guys!
Old October 25th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #50
Jeff Buchanan

The M/MSU game will be televised on ESPN at noon. College Game Day will not be there. Weeps and way to-go Dantoni-o. This could have been a big game. Instead they'll be at FSU who is hosting Clemson, an 8p game.

The other Disney fare at noon is as follows:

ABC (Regional): PSU @ Purdue or Louisville @ UVA.

ESPNU: UCF @ Houston.

ESPNews: UCONN at ECU

ESPN3: Wagner at UMASS.

Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; October 25th, 2016 at 09:46 PM.
Jeff Buchanan is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 25th, 2016, 09:34 PM   #51
The Oracle

Yuck.
The Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 25th, 2016, 09:44 PM   #52
WM Wolverine

That's just the noon games, when M is playing. USC is hosting a Thursday night game?

At 3:30:
Florida @ Georgia CBS
Baylor @ Texas ABC/ESPN
Miami @ Notre Dame NBC
Washington @ Utah FS1
Maryland @ Indiana ESPNU
Northwestern @ Ohio State ESPN

7PM then 8pm
Nebraska @ Wisconsin ESPN
Clemson @ Florida State ABC
WM Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 25th, 2016, 09:47 PM   #53
WM Wolverine

Clemson's turnovers are due to cost them a win.
Old October 25th, 2016, 10:04 PM   #54
The Oracle

Yes, USC hosting Cal Thursday. I'll be in attendance.
The Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 25th, 2016, 10:18 PM   #55
WM Wolverine

I thought Thursday night games were for the Purdue's, Northwestern's. Is there a reason?
Old October 25th, 2016, 10:22 PM   #56
Hannibal

There's one or two positive outliers per year.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 26th, 2016, 09:08 AM   #57
froot loops

Even beating Michigan would not do anything positive for this turd of a season. Even though the games are normally hard fought, there have been a few games where one side has won handily. A demolition might push Mark Dantonio to make some changes in the offseason on the coaching staff.
froot loops is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 26th, 2016, 09:09 AM   #58
Hannibal

I thought that Bollman was an absolutely terrible hire, although I will admit that MSU's offense has exceeded my expectations under him until this year.
Old October 26th, 2016, 09:14 AM   #59
froot loops

Boll man isn't good, but it is more Dave Warner calling the plays. I thought the staff did a tremendous job last year keeping that leaky ship together, but I'm not sure what happened this year. A lot can be explained on the attrition of the lines to graduation and players leaving but not everything.

Snyder has not been a good hire, the special teams have suffered since Tressel became co-defensive coordinator. That might have been a Peter Principle promotion.
froot loops is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 26th, 2016, 09:23 AM   #60
Hannibal

Some of it is water finding its level too. You can't score home runs on 3* recruits forever.