DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old October 23rd, 2016, 05:55 PM   #21
WingsFan

Line is up to 21 now
WingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 23rd, 2016, 06:39 PM   #22
AlabamAlum

Still too low. This will be a 38-0 kinda game. Maybe worse. M will make the 'over' by themselves.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 06:42 PM   #23
Paul L

Gotta admit I thought the 18' opening was ridiculously low
Old October 23rd, 2016, 07:02 PM   #24
Hannibal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamAlum View Post
Still too low. This will be a 38-0 kinda game. Maybe worse. M will make the 'over' by themselves.

Um, no
Hannibal is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 23rd, 2016, 07:12 PM   #25
AlabamAlum

No, M ain't just another team! They are a wrecking machine! And they're hungry! Hell, MState ain't been hungry since they made the CFP!
Old October 23rd, 2016, 07:47 PM   #26
Tslisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamAlum View Post
No, M ain't just another team! They are a wrecking machine! And they're hungry! Hell, MState ain't been hungry since they made the CFP!
I have to agree with you. This is a different M team than we've seen in 10+ years, probably more. They are determined, hungry and absolutely clobbering everyone in their path. Now Speight seems to be getting it together as well a la Jake Rudock. The quarterback whisperer has struck and Speight was really sharp last week. If that continues in this game, we are going to run it down their throat and then hit them hard over the top on play action and that will be it.

I'm calling for a 42 - 6 type of win.
Tslisher is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 23rd, 2016, 08:29 PM   #27
Jeff Buchanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslisher View Post
I have to agree with you. This is a different M team than we've seen in 10+ years, probably more. They are determined, hungry and absolutely clobbering everyone in their path........I'm calling for a 42 - 6 type of win.
I'd agree with you except for the "shit happens" factor that osu/ufm just experienced in HV.

Weather? Grasping at straws. I sat through a driving rainstorm in New Brunwick NJ to watch M demolish a Rutgers team that actually does have a pulse. Bring on the rain. I don't think M cares.

I'm going to look a little closer at match-up features coming out during the week before I make any rash predictions.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 08:34 PM   #28
hodgkal

All this happy talk is what upsets are made of. My worry is that MSU has plenty of physical talent. They just aren't working as a team. I won't relax until we cement this game at the final gun.

I've always been a pessimist. Helps to reduce disappointment when the worst happens. Eg, how many of you thought it was remotely possible for PSU to defeat the mighty Buckeyes?
hodgkal is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 23rd, 2016, 08:54 PM   #29
The Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
I'd agree with you except for the "shit happens" factor that osu/ufm just experienced in HV.

Weather? Grasping at straws. I sat through a driving rainstorm in New Brunwick NJ to watch M demolish a Rutgers team that actually does have a pulse. Bring on the rain. I don't think M cares.

I'm going to look a little closer at match-up features coming out during the week before I make any rash predictions.
You mean read too much, over analyze and let Mgoblog tell you what to think?
The Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 23rd, 2016, 09:23 PM   #30
Detroit Dan

If recent history is a guide, Michigan being favored by double digits is a good sign...

Quote:
This marks the fifth time in the last 20 years that the Michigan-Michigan State game features a double-digit spread. The favored team in each one of the previous four instances has won each time, by double digits each time.

The last instance was in 2014, when MSU (-17) beat Michigan 35-11 in East Lansing. Michigan was a 15-point favorite for its 31-13 win over MSU in 2006, the Wolverines were a 15-point favorite in a 49-3 win over MSU in 2002 and Michigan was a 16-point favorite for a 14-0 win over the Spartans in 2000.

MSU has been an underdog against Michigan 14 times in the last 20 years. The Spartans are 4-10 in those games.

(http://www.mlive.com/sports/2016/10/...erines_article)
Detroit Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 23rd, 2016, 09:52 PM   #31
Detroit Dan

It's fun to occasionally go with your gut feeling and see where it takes you. I did that earlier this year and predicted Michigan beating Ohio State. In justifying that rationally, I argued that Michigan will outcoach the Buckeyes, and I think that is well underway.

The coaching process is a multi-year enterprise. You can't expect to win based on in-game or game-week adjustments. Good play execution and good football habits are learned throughout the course of a season, and even over the course of several seasons. So far, going back to the offseason beginning 1/2/2016. this is the year of Harbaugh. (Talent repeatedly notes this, if half-jokingly.)

I don't personally like Dantonio's coaching style, in comparison to that of Harbaugh. Dantonio is conservative, with a rather limited worldview. He's a bit like Bo Schembechler in that regard. Harbaugh, while ostensibly a Schembechler disciple, seems much more expansive in perspective. That may get him in trouble at some point, but at this point he's in a league of his own in comparison to Meyer and Dantonio.

To be fair, I don't know much about Dantonio and Meyer. Both have seemed like good, if not great, coaches in previous years. But they've been overshadowed by Harbaugh in the publicity deparment. Then, once the season started, they've both also been overshadowed by Harbaugh in actual football. Did anyone else hear some pundits saying we should wait until we see some results on the field before annointing Harbaugh as the second coming of Jesus Christ. Well Harbaugh's Wolverines beat Penn State by 39 points. The Buckeyes lost to the same Nittany Lions. Harbaugh's Wolverines are 7-0. The Spartan's are 2-5 (including a win over Furman). Even Jesus Christ would have difficulty separating himself from the pack to that degree.

The results on the field are pretty clear, and this is the year of Harbaugh. Bet otherwise at your own risk.

Last edited by Detroit Dan; October 23rd, 2016 at 09:55 PM.
Detroit Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 24th, 2016, 06:20 AM   #32
Tom W

Sparty's recent history in this series is due to two things- Carr would constantly underprepare for this game, and Sparty was legitimately good while Michigan was wasting time trying to find themselves with RRod and Hoke.

Those aren't concerns this year.
Tom W is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 24th, 2016, 06:43 AM   #33
Lem B

No way MSU wins this one...rivalry game or not. Spartans are simply not very good this year.
Lem B is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 24th, 2016, 08:39 AM   #34
froot loops

This has a 56-7 type of feel to it.
froot loops is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 24th, 2016, 08:39 AM   #35
Jeff Buchanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
You mean read too much, over analyze and let Mgoblog tell you what to think?
Actually, all their staff writers do a decent job compiling data and reviewing video. I don't have time to do that. I do have time to read what they have to say and then interpret that in terms of what I saw live.

There's other sources from different vantage points as well. Eleven Warriors is one of them. The takes of the games from all the M web sites are usually pretty consistent and that lends substance to a particular observation.
Old October 24th, 2016, 08:56 AM   #36
iam416

Quote:
To be fair, I don't know much about Dantonio and Meyer. Both have seemed like good, if not great, coaches in previous years.
Wow.
Old October 24th, 2016, 03:55 PM   #37
maxreturn

Harbaugh Will Be Ready

Don't think for a moment that Jimbo forgets how he was outcoached last year. He will be ready and his team will be ready. With that said Sparty will be pissed and you know they'll probably play their best game of the season. I see this being much closer than most think.
maxreturn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 24th, 2016, 03:56 PM   #38
klondike

Quote:
Originally Posted by froot loops View Post
This has a 56-7 type of feel to it.
This has a Muddy Waters type game feel. MSU will keep it in the 30 point range on will and rivalry alone.
klondike is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 24th, 2016, 04:05 PM   #39
Jeff Buchanan

There's a guy at mgoblog that follows ticket prices. They are markers of fan interest. Tickets for this game were bringing $200 - $300 in the secondary market up until Monday morning when they plummeted.

They’ve been hovering around $140-$150 (when you include fees and such) for a pair upstairs or high up (the rows go only to the 40s) in the endzone. It’s a weird market since there are a bunch of tickets moving, but for the most part the sides are kind of ickily staring at each other, waiting for someone to make a move. Spartan ticket holders are hoping for someone to bite at $200, or if they go down to at least sell to someone who’ll promise to go in green.

M fans looking for tickets are going to keep the price up but the target to buy is anything around $100 (including fees) and the target date to buy is Thursday or Friday. There will be some but not many game day tickets and these should go for $80-$100. Don't pay more and look for counterfits ..... if you're looking to snap up some tickets read the piece at the link below to make sure you don't get taken.

http://mgoblog.com/content/ticket-wa...ed-cement#more
Old October 24th, 2016, 04:06 PM   #40
The Oracle

People looking to scalp will find mega deals on game day.
The Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote Top