DetroitLionsForum.com
Please support the forum by using this link to shop with our sponsor:

Go Back   DetroitLionsForum.com > Sports Discussion Forums > University of Michigan

Old October 18th, 2016, 10:48 AM   #21
Cody_Russell

Jeff George Jr, who went to the same high school as an ex girlfriend of mine.
They are usually a powerhouse high school team in Indiana.

Whoever Illinois is starting at QB, they will be embarrassed.
Sadly, I've watched Illinois three times this year (vs UNC, vs Purdue obviously, and at Rutgers for fun)... nothing on that offense is a threat. Well, maybe just their WR Turner. He might have a few catches vs Michigan.
Old October 18th, 2016, 03:03 PM   #22
jaadam4

Unless Jeff George Sr comes out and looks like he did when he played there they won't score a point.
jaadam4 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 20th, 2016, 04:22 PM   #23
Jeff Buchanan

Not trying to make this game into a contest that it's not going to be but.......

Brian completed the UFR on offense for the Rutgers game. The issues were Speight developing a pattern of slow starts. We've discussed this. He's not great.....and JBB at LT. Given the pattern thing, M's got three games to get through before osu that Speight has to play fairly well, maybe not perfectly to keep games out of the reach of MSU, Iowa and IU.

As well, JBB's play in relief of Newsome at OT has been shaky. Brian would like to see Cole move to LT, Kugler to C. Pass pro and the run game were better when that happened after JBB got dinged worse when he came back in.

Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; October 20th, 2016 at 05:22 PM.
Jeff Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 20th, 2016, 04:28 PM   #24
WingsFan

Cole move to LT, Kugler to C looked much better
WingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 20th, 2016, 04:37 PM   #25
The Oracle

Well that's what's good about Illinois. You already have an idea of what that would look like. They ideally want to keep Cole at C, so let's see what JBB can do in another scrimmage. Let him play for his job this week, if he flutters, he's out. He's shown glimpses for sure.
The Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 20th, 2016, 04:41 PM   #26
jaadam4

I agree.
Old October 21st, 2016, 07:26 AM   #27
Jeff Buchanan

Jimmies and Joes v. Illinois .........

I took a lot of this from mgoblog's Fee Fi Fo Film piece.

Illinois runs a 4-2-5 Nickle defense predominantly but will likely go with a 4-3 front v. M. and will roll a S into the box. On the back side they mimick a Tampa 2 (2 hi Ss) defense and seem to play more zone than man. They have one good CB, Jalyen Dunlap who looked to get the job done in his area of responsibility v. Neb. Ace commented that elsewhere, there were a lot of coverage busts.

Illinois has decent DL with Dawuane Smoot lining up at both SDE and WDE. He consistently worked his way into the backfield v Neb from either spot. This is going to be a problem for JBB and we're going to see whether or not Drevno puts Cole at LT moving Kugler to C based on this match-up. If JBB stays at LT, he's going to get worked. OTH going with JH's approach, players get better by playing, he may just go with it letting the chips fall where they may.

Illinois was not good at defending the edge and screens because the Illini's LB play is a big defensive weakness overall. This is the reason why the Illinois defense will have a hard time getting off the field and will wear down. Don't expect this defense to fold immediately though and given their strengths up front, it's going to look like M's run game isn't working well to start the game and/or Illinois' push up front is getting through to bother Speight. Expect to see a ton of quick screens in response. Whether or not these work to keep the chains moving is going to tell us something about how or if Wilton Speight is progressing or has plateaued. A bad game here is going to be an ominous sign. Screens are an essential part of Harbaughffense.

In my view, M fans have developed this image that the offense is going to blow everyone out because of Rutgers. While that may be the case v Illinois, given M's weaknesses on the OL, Speight's limitations and Illinois' pretty good front 4, Illinois has the capacity to exploit them keeping the game close in the first half by not letting M get scoring separation early. So, the uninformed will be chaffing at the bit a bit.

Michigan 41 - Illinois 10
Old October 21st, 2016, 07:44 AM   #28
The Oracle

LOL @ uninformed.
Old October 21st, 2016, 07:57 AM   #29
Hannibal

I'll be very disappointed if we don't knock the shit out of Illinois in the run game.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 21st, 2016, 08:01 AM   #30
The Oracle

500+ total offense, 200+ rushing and passing.
Old October 21st, 2016, 10:28 AM   #31
klondike

If Maryland can ring up 400 yards I'm hoping for at least 300. I can see some of our speedy guys can get some edge plays.
klondike is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 21st, 2016, 07:38 PM   #32
Jeff Buchanan

Just so you can be a little uneasy, or maybe a littel bit more aware, about this game, Brian just did an Illinois Preview that reiterates pretty much what I said based on Ace's take on the game.

Illinois has some dudes on D and those guys are up front where M has some weaknesses like JBB at LT. So, they're going to make some plays and fans will be uneasy. In order to make-up for overall not good on the back end, they'll bring all sorts of pressure - stunts, blitzes, what have you.

Illinois will also give up some big chunk plays to M. As Brian said, they'll have some TFLs but also some big run, big pass, big TD 3 play scoring series for M doing that. As long as M has more of those than Illinois has TFLs, M is going to roll. I think they will but its not going to happen right off the bat like the uninformed expect it will.

Think about the Colorado game in the early going. It won't look at all like that but it might have some of the same feel trying to get score separation.
Old October 21st, 2016, 09:22 PM   #33
Tom W

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaadam4 View Post
Unless Jeff George Sr comes out and looks like he did when he played there they won't score a point.
IIRC, Michigan kind of had their way with Ole Jeffy when they played against him.
Tom W is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 21st, 2016, 10:01 PM   #34
klondike

Since they had two weeks to prepare for the Illini's D' I expect a few wrinkles and Jimmy will work on The passing game in general. I think a balance of 250 running and passing will satisfy Harbaugh.

Its a great feeling knowing the other teams offense will be stymied and your team can do what you want on offense and still win comfortably.
klondike is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 22nd, 2016, 02:23 AM   #35
jaadam4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom W View Post
IIRC, Michigan kind of had their way with Ole Jeffy when they played against him.
i'm sure of it but i was too lazy to look it up
Old October 22nd, 2016, 07:40 AM   #36
Cody_Russell

Carroll Phillips is another Illinois front 7 player that is decent. He plays the LEO position and has been disruptive in the Illinois games I've seen.
Perhaps that is due to Smoot getting all the attention. Yea I'm interested to see if we get Dewuane Smoot vs JBB... though it's not going to matter after a while when Michigan is up 5 scores.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 09:45 AM   #37
Rocky Bleier

Don't care about the score. Hope for no injuries, then focus on payback next week.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 10:17 AM   #38
WM Wolverine

45-10. Illini has some talent on defense that could slow us down but their offense won't do much of anything.
WM Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old October 22nd, 2016, 11:42 AM   #39
Paul L

If M doesn't win by 50 I'll be disappointed.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 02:00 PM   #40
WingsFan

Grant Perry won't dress today.
WingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote Top